Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Favourite Digital Filter Settings

Thought I'd start a thread (it prolly exists already somewhere else), but I wanted to see if we could share some of our 'in camera digital settings' for those Jpg Shooters out there (or even RAW+ fans). Personally I'm curious to know if some of you have tweaked some in camera filter settings to get a particular look going, perhaps a desaturated 70's vibe etc that you really dig.

So... feel free to share your fav digital in camera filter settings here (and state which camera you use it on). A picture to accompany the setting would be icing on the cake!

Kgo!

Bruce

08-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest I don't tend to adjust these other than monochrome bold.
08-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #3

Using anything else than a pure RAW file doesn't make sense on a DSLR, but that's just my opinion.
08-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too am curious what people come up with. I have been shooting raw exclusively on my K-5II but whenever my wife wanted to use a photo it was not convenient for her to convert. Now with the K-1II I have Raw + Jpg and I like the overall look of the jpg files but am always on the look out for "better".

08-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm another one who only shoots RAW and prefers to fiddle in a non-destructive way in Lightroom - I live in fear of getting the shot of a lifetime, only to discover it's a bleach bypass low res jpeg or something
08-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Not much of a jpg shooter, but every now and then, I use bold monochrome, set to the less contrasty level.
Also use 800-1000 iso, to add grain to the images.
08-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
To be honest I don't tend to adjust these other than monochrome bold.
Fair do's, don't forget to supply a sample

QuoteOriginally posted by Tomas Perminas Quote
Using anything else than a pure RAW file doesn't make sense on a DSLR, but that's just my opinion.
I feel similarily having never really shotten Jpg before. I have taken a RAW file, done a conversion to Jpg in camera and then not edited and used the shot (so it's a sooc) however I have seldom done that.
Perhaps not here on this forum but elsewhere I am seeing some nice sooc work, and I guess the more things you get right in camera the less things need tweaked. I have seen some wedding photographers offer various packages whereby they state a certain amount of images will be hand edited, suggesting a large volume of the shots from the day will be sooc! I shudder at that thought, but then I have seen some amazing work from very good photographers (who inform if the shot or not is sooc), if they have their cameras set up right from the get go then perhaps they can cut down a massive expense.
Then there are some other reasons, such as improved buffer time and more shots being able to be stored on the sd card, but for this thread purposes it was just to see for fun really, see if anyone does it and what kinda results they derive from it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
Not much of a jpg shooter, but every now and then, I use bold monochrome, set to the less contrasty level.
Also use 800-1000 iso, to add grain to the images.
Nice, I like the higher iso concept for adding grain, also gives you quite a versatile range of settings if not always hunting for that 100 iso shot. Feel free to link samples!

----

The last time I messed with this concept I believe I saw a massive slow down of processing time! I realise Jpg shots are smaller files, shouldn't encounter the buffer so much etc, but some setting somewhere that I had turned on really choked the processing time so I didn't stay with the idea/concept and just went back to RAW. I feel like trying to find out what settings really impact and which ones don't and then seeing if I can come up with something creative but very workable and submittable.
08-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will have to dig back through and find some examples.

08-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I will have to dig back through and find some examples.
Hehe, Bruce making UncleVanya work again

PS hows that monopod impression/review coming along
08-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the IR simulator is fun.
08-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Hehe, Bruce making UncleVanya work again

PS hows that monopod impression/review coming along
I actually have used it on my trip a number of times.
08-20-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nice, I like the higher iso concept for adding grain, also gives you quite a versatile range of settings if not always hunting for that 100 iso shot. Feel free to link samples!
Sure, here they are (already posted on other thread)
I really liked how they turned out; also guessing the vintage, K 50mm 1.4 helped the mood, with its rendering.