Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is that always closed or always open? I think it is always closed right?
I don't know. If it's like the EF mount it stays at what it was last set to on the camera.

08-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

My limited experience with a mirrorless camera suggests that you really do need to use compatible auto-focus lenses to get anything like good performance. The electronic viewfinder and "live-view" are all very nice as compositional aids, but can be the very devil to confirm accurate focus or depth-of-field with a manual-focus lens, especially a wide-aperture or telephoto lens where depth-of-field can become critical.

Just my personal findings ... YMMV
08-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My limited experience with a mirrorless camera suggests that you really do need to use compatible auto-focus lenses to get anything like good performance. The electronic viewfinder and "live-view" are all very nice as compositional aids, but can be the very devil to confirm accurate focus or depth-of-field with a manual-focus lens, especially a wide-aperture or telephoto lens where depth-of-field can become critical.

I've gotten good shots out of mine with manual lenses but only for landscapes. I have some shots that were not landscapes but those were only OK. Also the quality of the glass has to be VERY high due to the sensor size and the density of pixels.
08-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #19

My son has a Fuji XT-2. There aren't any adapters that will allow the auto focus and auto aperture to function, so there isn't any point trying to adapt most of your lenses. So it makes more sense to buy Fuji lenses and supplement them with inexpensive older Pentax primes. My son uses an M42 adapter with Takumars and it works very well. Full manual with focus peaking.
Aparently there is a way to adapt auto focus Pentax to Sony, but it involves using two adapters and I would expect auto focus performance to be poor. Again, better to sell your Pentax lenses and use the money for some new glass.

08-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qman Quote
Aparently there is a way to adapt auto focus Pentax to Sony, but it involves using two adapters and I would expect auto focus performance to be poor..
That would be the Techart PRO Leica M Autofocus Adapter. But it still needs an aperture ring...(Only compatible with Sony A7(II) , A7 (III), A7R(II) , A7R (III), A6300 , A6500 & A9)

Techart PRO Leica M – Sony E Autofocus Adapter – TECHART Adapters

You would need a Leica M K-mount adapter...an extra $35 if you buy it from Techart...
08-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NickTent Quote
Hello,

Not sure if this is the best group for my question so if it is not, please let me know.

I own a Pentax K-S2 and the following lenses:

Pentax DA 50mm f1.8
Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR
PENTAX-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR R
Pentax HD PENTAX DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens
Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens
Pentax smcP FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited Lens

I am thinking to buy a mirrorless camera and I would like to know if there is any mirrorless camera out there that can use the above Pentax lenses. I don’t want to, if I don’t have to , to buy new lenses.

Thank you for your time,

Nick
The Novoflex adapters will allow you to control the aperture on your lenses that don't have aperture rings. If you have lenses that require power for focusing, they won't be usable.
08-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, APSC!
I am wondering what you are seeking or expecting in spending the money for these mirrorless systems. Many of us have been into photography for many years, going back into the film-only era. Currently, I shoot with three camera bodies- the pro-oriented K-5 IIs, the KP, and the amateur-oriented K-S2. I have some expensive high-end lenses also. I can tell you that although the K-S2 is amateur-oriented with its SCENE modes, etc. it is also a very highly-equipped, most capable camera, while being among the smallest, lightest but well-built APS-C bodies out there of any type. Image quality is excellent. You'd not likely ever see a quality difference between images from the 20mp and 24mp sensors. The Nikon near $2,000 flagship APS-C DSLR model, the D500 uses a 20mp sensor, very much like the one in your K-S2.

When I need the most compact ensemble possible, yet with very good imaging quality, I take the K-S2 with the little DAL 18-50mm on it and I can actually put it into a large jacket pocket- this including a zoom lens! The current succeeding model, the K-70 is of similar design, but is larger and heavier. I was surprised at the imaging quality from the little kit lens, and its fast, quiet AF.

You have some very fine lenses, especially the DA 16-85mm and the DA 55-300mm, and the FA 31mm is outstanding. There is little to nothing that falls short in your very fine system! With a mirrorless system, it is possible to design smaller lenses, especially some expensive pro-oriented ones having a fast aperture. This would save size and weight. But this may not hold true so much in the telephoto range. For example, my KP and certainly my K-S2, with my very fine DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 attached, I have found to be as light or lighter an ensemble compared to the Fuji 50-140mm f/2.8 for APS-C mirrorless. The 5mm difference would be virtually unnoticeable.

Many of the mirrorless compactness comes at the expense of omitting some features like a built-in flash, and more efficient controls systems, certainly not having the exclusive Pentax Hyper System, which your K-S2 has. If you are not familiar with this very efficient operating system, I would be glad to fill you in.

There has been quite a discussion in a recent thread by Takker that might be worth a read for you, part of which deals with a DSLR compared to other modalities.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-20-2018 at 12:14 PM.
08-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My son has a Fuji XT-2. There aren't any adapters that will allow the auto focus and auto aperture to function, so there isn't any point trying to adapt most of your lenses. So it makes more sense to buy Fuji lenses and supplement them with inexpensive older Pentax primes. My son uses an M42 adapter with Takumars and it works very well. Full manual with focus peaking.
Aparently there is a way to adapt auto focus Pentax to Sony, but it involves using two adapters and I would expect auto focus performance to be poor. Again, better to sell your Pentax lenses and use the money for some new glass.
Actually the adapter works reasonably well.
08-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #24

Which adapter works reasonably well?
08-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which adapter works reasonably well?
Pentax lenses with a mirrorless camera - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com (post 20)

The fotodiox cloned adapter was recently reviewed here: Got a Fotodiox Pronto Pro For Sony A7ii - PentaxForums.com
08-21-2018, 01:11 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I was thinking a Fuji
Quite a good idea.

---------- Post added 08-21-18 at 07:15 PM ----------

Its relatively cheap to set up a nice basic Fuji system.It all depends what one wants to achieve.My opinion is it(or a M43 system)compliment a Pentax Dslr system.
08-21-2018, 02:06 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"Why do you want to use these lenses on mirrorless?"

I guess I wanted to save money from buying new lenses, but I don't know what the implications are and I am learning now, by asking the questions and grateful for all the answers the group provides!

Thank you,

Nick
I was more wondering of what you think the advantage of adapting your K-mount lenses to a different mirrorless system is instead of using them on your K-mount DSLR?
You can also save money by using the DSLR you already have, and not buying a new mirrorless camera.
08-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I was more wondering of what you think the advantage of adapting your K-mount lenses to a different mirrorless system is instead of using them on your K-mount DSLR?
You can also save money by using the DSLR you already have, and not buying a new mirrorless camera.
My point exactly. What would be gained going to a mirrorless body? The K-S2 is one fine compact DSLR. The money could instead be put towards another lens filling a different need, an advanced flash, GPS/astro-photography accessory, etc.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-21-2018 at 03:22 PM.
08-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote

Actually EVF with focus peaking and magnification are a great for obtaining accurate focus with mf lenses. Probably better than any DSLR can do for that effect, as reported by many good reviewers out there. Most mirrorless cameras have these aids and that is partially the reason why vintage MF glass is so popular with them.
08-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure why anyone wants to discourage the use of Pentax lenses on a mirrorless body - maybe the user has access and wants to share. But I am going to stick to the point that AF lenses adapted to mirrorless MF are a pain mostly. Not always - but mostly. It can be a good strategy for filling in some holes but don't expect too much.