Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #1

Pentax lenses with a mirrorless camera

Hello,

Not sure if this is the best group for my question so if it is not, please let me know.

I own a Pentax K-S2 and the following lenses:

Pentax DA 50mm f1.8
Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR
PENTAX-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR R
Pentax HD PENTAX DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens
Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens
Pentax smcP FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited Lens

I am thinking to buy a mirrorless camera and I would like to know if there is any mirrorless camera out there that can use the above Pentax lenses. I don’t want to, if I don’t have to , to buy new lenses.

Thank you for your time,

Nick

08-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can definitely use some of them. The 18-50 won't work because the focus is done by wire. Almost all of the mirrorless mounts in theory could use these. Be sure to look for adapters that say DA and indicate they can open/close the aperture. You will no longer know exact aperture, these are typically stepless rings that slowly close and open the iris. Also manual focus is fiddly due to these being autofocus licenses they tend to lack finely dampened focus rings.
08-20-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-01 comes to mind...
08-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
What system are you thinking of using? Depending on whether you are using micro four thirds, Sony APS-C, FF or Fuji you may be getting a different field of view from what youare used to now, an most of your lenses will not you be full frame compatible.

From the list of lenses that you provided, I think only the FA31 limited would be fully compatible, at the expense of autofocus and automatic aperture. But because it has a manual aperture ring, it can be stopped down even if the adapter does not provide aperture linkage.

The other lenses do not have an aperture ring, so in addition to being manual focus, you would need some sort of mechanism to control the aperture.

What is your appeal for mirrorless? Maybe the Pentax KP would be a good compromise in terms of size and feel?

08-20-2018, 06:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
What system are you thinking of using? Depending on whether you are using micro four thirds, Sony APS-C, FF or Fuji you may be getting a different field of view from what youare used to now, an most of your lenses will not you be full frame compatible.

From the list of lenses that you provided, I think only the FA31 limited would be fully compatible, at the expense of autofocus and automatic aperture. But because it has a manual aperture ring, it can be stopped down even if the adapter does not provide aperture linkage.

The other lenses do not have an aperture ring, so in addition to being manual focus, you would need some sort of mechanism to control the aperture.

What is your appeal for mirrorless? Maybe the Pentax KP would be a good compromise in terms of size and feel?
Hello,

I was thinking a Fuji or a Sony mirrorless. Not sure which one of the two. They seem to have good reviews.

Thank you!
08-20-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

APSC I'll assume?
08-20-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NickTent Quote
I would like to know if there is any mirrorless camera out there that can use the above Pentax lenses
Yes, it's already there, you already have it when you activate live view. Mirrorless is nothing else but the live view mode on DSLR.

08-20-2018, 07:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
APSC I'll assume?
Yes, APSC!
08-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello,

I was thinking a Fuji or a Sony mirrorless. Not sure which one of the two. They seem to have good reviews.

Thank you!
Why do you want to use these lenses on mirrorless?
On Fuji and Sony you will loose autofocus and on the lenses that lack aperture ring you will need an adapter that can manually control aperture, but that will be done without much control of which aperture size is set.

At least two of the lenses will not work at all, 18-50 and 55-300.
08-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the 55-300 also focus by wire?
08-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Why do you want to use these lenses on mirrorless?
On Fuji and Sony you will loose autofocus and on the lenses that lack aperture ring you will need an adapter that can manually control aperture, but that will be done without much control of which aperture size is set.

At least two of the lenses will not work at all, 18-50 and 55-300.
"Why do you want to use these lenses on mirrorless?"

I guess I wanted to save money from buying new lenses, but I don't know what the implications are and I am learning now, by asking the questions and grateful for all the answers the group provides!

Thank you,

Nick
08-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Why do you want to use these lenses on mirrorless?"

I guess I wanted to save money from buying new lenses, but I don't know what the implications are and I am learning now, by asking the questions and grateful for all the answers the group provides!

Thank you,

Nick
I tried that on my m43 system. It helped fill gaps to a degree. My approach still includes the this option but I rarely exercise it. My approach to m43 has been mainly to get high quality slow zooms and a few primes. It is not my primary system.
08-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is the 55-300 also focus by wire?
It doesn't matter. It's KAF4, it has electromagnetic aperture...
08-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The only one I would use on mirrorless of those lenses is the FA 31mm Ltd, since it has an aperture ring so you can manually set the aperture on the lens and it as a great lens. If you want to adapt lenses to mirrorless get some legacy non AF glass. Using and EVF for focussing it is the real advantage of mirrorless. The Sony a6500 has IBIS, so has the Fujifilm X-H1 (they are the more expensive models though). I don't see an added value of using the DA AF lenses on mirrorless, more hassle than it is worth. If you are switching you are better off selling the lot and getting some new glass.
08-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It doesn't matter. It's KAF4, it has electromagnetic aperture...
Is that always closed or always open? I think it is always closed right?