Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some random thoughts:

* It took me months to get my mind around the KP, but it won me over. I rented one last year to see if I wanted to upgrade from the K-5IIs. I hated it. Weird, confusing interface. Uncomfortable grip, no matter which interchangeable grip I put on it. Short battery life, which stranded me one afternoon without a camera since the rental came with just one battery. So I sent it back and decided not to buy one.

But then one day I opened up some of the files I'd shot with the KP and had to admit they were really good. Really, really good. One quick portrait I'd snapped at ISO about 20000 was beautiful. The image quality was outstanding. And I kept noticing online that people who had the same complaints about the battery life and the grip had come around. Also I realized I kind of liked the flippy screen.

Finally last fall I bought one, deciding I would give it a few months and, if I hated it, sell it on. Almost a year later my only question is, should I buy a second KP or get a K-1? I'll probably go with the second KP. I like shooting with two matched bodies so I don't have to swap lenses as often. Also, I've rented a K-1 twice now. As nice as the images are, I find the autofocus a little hard to work with, and having a K-1 would just mean I'd end up spending a lot of money on some new lenses.

* KEH does repair work for less than Precision, though they also charge a substantial flat rate for most repairs.

* Consider buying a used K-5IIs instead of getting your current one repaired. You can get them for under $400.

08-24-2018, 05:43 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by jspillane Quote
With the lovely exception of:

31mm ltd
43mm ltd
77mm ltd
100mm Macro WR

(Honestly, major reasons that attracted me to the K1 in the first place!)
Well, the original post was talking about the new DFAs, but I guess those would qualify.
Although, I'm sure you've noticed the lack of any (U)WA in your list, which is [funnily enough] what's keeping me away from the K1, since the FLs you mentioned have little to no interest for me.
If only they'd release a FF equivalent of the 15ltd, with modern niceties (wr, coatings)......
08-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
If only they'd release a FF equivalent of the 15ltd, with modern niceties (wr, coatings)......
Ultra wide angle single focus lens is announced on the official roadmap for 2019 or later... Not clear if that's DA or DFA though, but after DFA 50, 85 and (supposedly) 35, it might well be a DFA 21 or so.
08-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #34
pxt

Except low light scenarios are very typical. FF vs crop is difference, but see:

08-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good video. I feel like there was a noticable difference, but in his case, not a difference worth $4,000.

With Pentax, though (using the same Fa35 or Fa50 for example) the cost difference is closer to $600-800.

But also in the case of Pentax, the Full Frame option is recent and current and the corresponding crop offering is dated.
08-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's where I am on this right now.

I ordered a sensor cleaning kit, a new Sansdisc card and a micro USB. I'm going to clean the whole camera, as best I can, put the new card in and then start using the USB to sync with Lightroom, so that I'm not ejecting and inserting the card any more. In theory, I don't need to worry about it getting stuck, if I'm putting a good one in and leaving it alone. I'll keep shooting away with it (and a roll of film, I just started) and see how it feels.

I like the idea of renting a KP and/or a K1. A week living with these cameras could make a difference. I found a place on-line to rent a K1, but so far, no place to rent a KP. If anyone has any tips let me know. I'm also going to sit on the crop flagship rumors for a bit and see if there is an announcement. It would be good to base a decision on all available information.
09-10-2018, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
We have a couple of threads raging on right now about the idea of K3iii and we'll be lucky if nobody gets stabbed over one of them, so I don't want to wake that discussion up here too. But, I was back in the shop with the K1 again today and had my K5 with me. The form factor of the K1 is bigger, but ergonomically very comfortable. Having one in each hand with a prime mounted, the K1 really doesn't feel appreciably heavier. I know that it is and I'd probably notice it more if I was carrying it around all day, but it seems like it's probably worth it.

I've managed around some of the age/condition related issues I was having with my K5, so I'm going to wait and see what the lineup looks like toward the end of the year, but I'm really impressed with Pentax's full frame offering.