Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2018, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

K3iii vs K1ii

(Yes, I know that there is no K3iii and that it may not be called that when there is.)
(Yes, I know that doomsayers have predicted total brand demise in advance of it's release.)

Those things aside, I hate threads like this, but here I am starting one anyway. I have owned and loved a K5ii since shortly after they came out. Honestly, can't tell you how great it's been to be back into photography for real. I do not aspire to be a professional, but am motivated to be good and am starting to use some of the photos that I take. What type of photos? Well, I photograph bands, usually in poor lighting. Mostly friends of mine who might use the pictures and I would welcome them to. I also like street photography, but not necessarily random people in the street, so much as fire escapes, benches, interesting doors, etc. walkaround. I hike a bit and occasionally point at landscapes or domestic/semi-domestic animals. I also have a 10 year old son and in addition to being a dad with a camera, I photograph his baseball and school plays and who knows what he get into at some point. I own a flash, but don't use it all that much...probably should and will get to it, but I've been focusing on natural light photography.

My K5ii is getting a little bit parsnickity. I need to probably send it away for cleaning and general service. It's tough when the best estimate I can get from Precision is $330, without having actually told them what I am sending it to them for. I assume $500 before we're done. A really nice, clean K3 from a respected forum member just sold for $350...

When the KP came out, I said to myself "This is EXACTLY what I want". Pentax was having a demo day, so I went to check it out, but didn't connect with it. I did connect with the K1, which felt great in my hand and I was surprised at how big and heavy by comparison it WASN'T. So, I did nothing, but started wondering. Now my K5ii is acting up a bit, so I went again to check out both a KP and a K1ii and had the same reaction, I got excited about the K1 and didn't feel a connection to the KP. It's not the full frame thing, it's the ergonomics, top LCD panel, that sublime shutter and generally the quality. Same reasons that I bought my K5.

So, the KP is not for me, but I can't bring myself to consider a K3 knowing that they've already improved upon the ASP-C format significantly. K1 is tempting. There is also waiting for the K3iii* or getting my K5 cleaned up and going back to shooting. I'm likely to do that anyway, but sometimes, there is gear in the world.

Top 3 priorities for me are:
  1. Image quality
  2. Build quality
  3. Ergonomics/usability

I have 1 DA lens that I care about. The rest are FA or older full frame, so there's not a huge lens investment issue for me. As for size and weight, sometimes the one I have is heavier than I feel like bringing, but not usually. I was excited about the KP for that reason and I'm leery of the K1 for that reason, but handling the K1 doesn't really scare me off. I know that's different than living with it. I generally feel that I have a cellphone like everyone else. I'm interested in owning and carrying a dSLR. I don't want it to be more unwieldy than it needs to be, but its going to be heavier than a phone or a point and shoot and that's just part of the deal. I also still shoot film (MX), so sometimes that's my light option (and it's "full frame"!)

So, talk me down, egg me on, tell me it's a stupid question. Whatever you've got for me, I'll listen. Would love to stop thinking about it so much, though.

08-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm in the same boat with my K5II. For now - I don't know for how much time - I'll stay with it, wait and see where/how things are evolving. For the same reasons. Your top 3 priorities are mine as well.
08-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-1 or K-1 II tick all 3 of your priorities.

Most of your lenses would be usable.

The K-1/II is available today, the K-3II replacement is not. There's no telling whether it's just around the corner or still 2 years away.

I'm not even sure why you're asking the question.
08-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed that the K-1 seems to satisfy all of your requirements.

As for the cleaning, you should be able to get it at any camera store. Unless there's hardware in need of replacement (which would not be cost effective regardless), I don't see how precision could do a significantly better job than elsewhere.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
So, talk me down, egg me on, tell me it's a stupid question. Whatever you've got for me, I'll listen. Would love to stop thinking about it so much, though.
Think about and obsess over real choices. The K-3II successor is vapor at present and is not competition to anything. If you are considering the K-1ii and really feel that the larger format is a good fit, go for it. If you want very decent APS-C and like your K-5II, it would be hard to go wrong with a lightly used K-3 or new K-3II. Either is a palpable improvement over your current camera.

Steve
08-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
The K-1 or K-1 II tick all 3 of your priorities.

Most of your lenses would be usable.

The K-1/II is available today, the K-3II replacement is not. There's no telling whether it's just around the corner or still 2 years away.

Hi Mark, not really much to do with the conversation but when i bought the k1 i originally wanted to get the k3ii but they didnt have one in stock bit cheaper for me and as i see just as good so dog biscuits came out and the k1 came in, haha very happy
08-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As for the cleaning, you should be able to get it at any camera store. Unless there's hardware in need of replacement (which would not be cost effective regardless), I don't see how precision could do a significantly better job than elsewhere.
What he said ^ ^ ^.

In Seattle you have competent service shops. Give one a call for an estimate and save yourself shipping.

Steve

08-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you want the FF capability along with the 36 mp, the K-1 or K-1 II would be the choices. Otherwise, if you want the aps-c for distanced wildlife or activity capability, the K-3 II or its successor would be the choices.

For example, I would usually prefer using my K-3 II on my Sigma 150-500 DG OS for birding due to the aps-c format crop type at 24 mp. On the other hand, I would prefer using my K-1 II with my Pentax 70-200 for shooting wild flowers or people portraits at a distance. It depends on what subject type and image outcome are desired by the user.
08-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #9

K3iii vs K1 or K1ii

I still use both K3 and K1 and enjoy them both for different uses. I like the K3 for fast moving events and for things that I want to send over the Internet, ie family candid photos and sports where the smaller files are more efficiently transmitted and the burst speed is greater for active subjects (K3). The K1 gives me images with higher resolutions that make larger prints for landscape, architectural, and portrait applications. I don't do much, if any video. When I wish to do so, I will probably buy a dedicated video camera,
08-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do have Pentax k5II and thinking about upgrade as well. It is really bad that where I live (San Francisco area) I know no shop having any new Pentax model in stock.
08-22-2018, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With your priorities and lens collection, a K-1 seems to be a no-brainer.
If you want to keep things compact, simply avoid the new DFA glass.
08-22-2018, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote

Admittedly not the type of question I like either. You guys can't tell me what to want. But, dialog might help and I know that some of you have lived with all or some combination of these cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Agreed that the K-1 seems to satisfy all of your requirements.

There are a couple of good shops that do camera repair. Only 1 is a Pentax dealer. The SD card doesn't eject cleanly like it used to. I have to finesse it in and out instead of just pushing on it. I probably should have been syncing pictures to my computer with the cord all along, but it seemed faster. I've done it several hundred times now and something is not working as it was, though, it's not entirely stuck yet. Definitely worth taking it into one or more to hear what they propose. It's still a very good camera for my purposes.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Think about and obsess over real choices. The K-3II successor is vapor at present and is not competition to anything. If you are considering the K-1ii and really feel that the larger format is a good fit, go for it. If you want very decent APS-C and like your K-5II, it would be hard to go wrong with a lightly used K-3 or new K-3II. Either is a palpable improvement over your current camera.

Steve
A used K3 for the price of service at Precision seems reasonable, though environmentally, I'm not going to throw my camera away would be concerned about selling it with issues, so likely I would want to get it attended to anyway, in which case... I guess I should start with getting mine serviced and see if the little voice goes away.

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If you want the FF capability along with the 36 mp, the K-1 or K-1 II would be the choices. Otherwise, if you want the aps-c for distanced wildlife or activity capability, the K-3 II or its successor would be the choices.

For example, I would usually prefer using my K-3 II on my Sigma 150-500 DG OS for birding due to the aps-c format crop type at 24 mp. On the other hand, I would prefer using my K-1 II with my Pentax 70-200 for shooting wild flowers or people portraits at a distance. It depends on what subject type and image outcome are desired by the user.
This a good way for a lot of people to make a decision, but I don't feel the FF vs ASP-C thing as strongly as most. As I said I still shoot film, with some of the same lenses and love it. I like photos from my K5ii as well. I adjust how I regard the lens that I'm using, but it's all good. With a crop sensor, I'm missing an ultrawide, like the DA15 or DA12-24 and would be better off Day 1 in that regard on FF, but would lose my longest reach (currently 300mm). But, those are extremes and most of the time, I'm shooting somewhere in between. I used to have an 18-135 lens and rarely shot wider than about 20mm. My 100-300/4 zoom is a really good lens and would probably take a multiplier pretty well, but honestly, I'm not birding from 50 yards.

It would be easier if I were a portrait photographer or a wildlife or sports photographer. I'd know then, but I really think that what I care about is image quality, build quality, and ergonomics. It would also be easier if the K1 was 2x as heavy and $4,000, but it's not. It feels like if contemplating a flagship crop(now or future), it should be part of the same consideration.

---------- Post added 08-22-18 at 05:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Texas-expat Quote
I still use both K3 and K1 and enjoy them both for different uses. I like the K3 for fast moving events and for things that I want to send over the Internet, ie family candid photos and sports where the smaller files are more efficiently transmitted and the burst speed is greater for active subjects (K3). The K1 gives me images with higher resolutions that make larger prints for landscape, architectural, and portrait applications. I don't do much, if any video. When I wish to do so, I will probably buy a dedicated video camera,
I'm also a Texas ExPat. My son was born here, but he regards it as his "ancestral homeland". I also don't shoot video and could do so with a $65 HD video camera if it became important later. I have a list of features that I would be happy to strip out of a camera to save size, weight, cost and/or usability and video would be one of those things, like Nikon did on their retro-chic model. I have considered file size, no way to know for sure without living with it for a while, but your experience is informative to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I do have Pentax k5II and thinking about upgrade as well. It is really bad that where I live (San Francisco area) I know no shop having any new Pentax model in stock.
Right? What's up with that?

---------- Post added 08-22-18 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
With your priorities and lens collection, a K-1 seems to be a no-brainer.
If you want to keep things compact, simply avoid the new DFA glass.
I'm kind of feeling that way too. Handling it in the store, it doesn't seem big or heavy at all. With a fast 50 or FA35/2, I don't think it would be an issue. The D FA 28-105 seems to be a really good weather proof general purpose zoom and is smaller than it's current DA counterpart.

Last edited by troika; 08-22-2018 at 05:45 PM.
08-22-2018, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

I moved from the wonderful K-5 to the wonderfuller K-1. A few thoughts that might affect your decision:

1. As others have said, the K-1 really does fit your three priorities.

2. Think about how your focal lengths will be affected by the full frame sensor. Yes, I know, I know, the lens will be the exact same focal lengths optically. BUT, photographically, they will be 1.5X wider. Depending on your shooting style, wider may be a huge plus or a huge minus.

3. Finally, there's a K-5 hidden inside every K-1. In crop mode, the K-1 performs almost like a K-5 for burst speed, resolution, and IQ.
08-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe posting your specific lenses would help. I know you indicated only one da lens. But it would be useful to know the exact lenses too.
08-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #15

I use a K5iis, and it's great. I also shoot a lot of film and use a lot of Pentax manual-only lenses. One reason to consider the K1 is the obvious one that your wide angle lenses will crop wider, and that's a significant advantage. A lot of the older wide angles struggle to produce really nice images on digital sensors, so the wider crop can offer more options. In fact, I am getting my best results by using Mamiya M645 lenses on my Pentax cameras; these medium format lenses produce great results on the K511s and on my FF film cameras, but the widest available M645 focal length is only 35mm, so the crop sensor is quite limiting.