Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 05:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
... Would your photos be as good if you didn't have such beautiful subjects? It's difficult to separate the two.
Now that's a good question ;-)

Using older equipment can obviously produce excellent results in the right hands, but newer equipment does have advantages in that it gives more latitude to users, both beginners and professionals. This latitude creates more possibilities and flexibility to create original work. If an up-grader just buys new stuff thinking it will improve their work, but then follow the same practises, they will likely be disappointed. However, with greater capability comes new ways of creating, and thus learning and improving. When I've upgraded it's opened up new possibilities, but there does come a point where the new gains become decreasingly smaller. For me, moving to FF gives me greater DR and tonal detail, especially when I print large, for sale and commissions. The chase for new equipment for me has slowed as I've now got what I need -well apart from a few more nice shiny lenses as a treat ;-) and so it goes on and on ...

Thankfully we are all different ...

08-23-2018, 05:05 AM - 10 Likes   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
I'm new here, guys, but I'm surprised by the fact that most forum members are sure that after buying expensive equipment, their photos will be better. That's funny. And very sad
Yes, bro, we are in the midst of victims of marketers))
K10d with the old sensor is a wonderful camera, but I do not like the small screen, I take the same portraits ..
And I'm not saying that I'm always right, but the fact remains: even the old-timers of the forum have very weak photos and this surprised me a bit.
Well, yes, but some skills do not match their staff, thank you for understanding)

Yes, man, I looked at the galleries of some K-1 owners, it's a shame, in most cases.
Hi Yuri

We have a large active membership here, from folks who joined us in the last few days to those that have been with us for many years. Within our community - and it is a community; one that takes time and constructive contribution to become a valued member of - we have members with a wide range of skill levels, from very basic to extremely advanced. Whatever their skill levels, we have some members who enjoy equipment as much as (occasionally, more than) they enjoy photography. Whether their skills get the most from their gear is, in my view, immaterial - so long as they're having fun (which, for most of us, is what this hobby is about). I like to see great photos as much as the next guy, but I try not to judge other people's photography as strong or weak - all I care about is if folks are having fun. Personally, I don't see anything sad or shameful in someone enjoying their hobby in whatever way they see fit, and if that involves new (to them) equipment, so be it

Personally, my favourite camera is my old Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone). I have other more recent and advanced models, but I like the quality of files the GX-10 produces, and I'm happy with the results I get. Of course, in the hands of a more-experienced and skilled photographer (and there are plenty of those here ), it can produce far better results than I get from it. But that doesn't stop me enjoying the camera as part of my hobby, and what people think of my photography is, frankly, immaterial - unless, that is, I'm asking for critique, in which case constructive appraisal and advice is appreciated. I'd typically prefer if our members - even the established ones that I know quite well by now - didn't refer to my photos as sad or weak, though

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-23-2018 at 06:58 AM.
08-23-2018, 05:17 AM - 8 Likes   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
generally making assumptions isn't good

and generalizations are, by their very definition, usually inaccurate to one degree or another

I can choose to hunt

with a rock

with a spear

with a bow and arrows

with a musket

with a black powder rifle

with a modern rifle

with a modern rifle and modern optics

and I can be successful, with one degree or another, with any of those options

any of those " progressive " steps may improve my chances of being successful

or not

what do I post my photos? - they are things I like

can I improve - yes

am I improving over time - I hope so

do others enjoy my photos - I hope so

but bottom line, that isn't really necessary

knowledge, experience and the ability to use such knowledge and experience helps me to improve at anything

does improved " tech " help - it might

will I ever be the best - I highly doubt it

but I can live with that

here ends the rant

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-23-2018 at 05:24 AM.
08-23-2018, 05:18 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Forum Member

It's not that better camera or lens will make me better photographer, just like better brush will not make someone better painter.
But camera is tool, and better tools can make live easier, and sometimes makes something possible at all.
I'm mostly into wildlife. Camera with better AF, higher usable ISO or faster lens allows me to make more good photos. Skarper lens will let me make sharper images. But you still have to know where to go, how and what to photography and how not to scare all animals before you make any picture, and no camera will give you that knowledge. And no matter what camera will you give me, i will not make great portraits (maybe sometimes by accident), because i just have no experience in this and i don't feel it.

So better hardware can let you make better pictures, but only if you know how to use it. Ofcourse good photographer with smartphone will make much better picture, than complete amator with latest camera, but good photograher with good camera can (but not always will) make better pictuere, than same photographer with bad camera.

And if someone says camera does not matter at all, go and shoot sport or wildlife with collodion. And bring me at least few usable pictures from your mountains trip or from some rally

08-23-2018, 05:20 AM - 4 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I resemble your remark.

I like gear, and I have lots of the good stuff. I like making photographs, but I have no pretence to being particularly talented. Sometimes I get good results, but my participation in these forums is mainly through the Single In challenges, so many of my images are made just to fulfil that challenge, rather than to showcase my talents. Make of that what you will.

Also, not all of us have access to a supply of pretty models wanting to pose in front of our cameras. Kudos to you

Some us try our hands at more than one style of photography.

And bear in mind that the really capable among us might not post their best images publicly at all....
08-23-2018, 05:22 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
. . . If you upset with another people skill that much, help them, give them a constructive comment.
some of us prefer such " constructive criticism " be given by PM

as opposed to posting it publicly
08-23-2018, 05:27 AM   #22
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I checked out your Instagram and 'staff' (inc K5 and Ist D) and yes you have shot gorgeous portraits with long superseded equipment. After being smitten by new tech I've come around to the skills rather than equipment side of the equation. And currently I don't have either.
But I might pose another question. Would your photos be as good if you didn't have such beautiful subjects? It's difficult to separate the two.
I shot ordinary schoolchildren and students from Kharkov, these are not the winners of beauty contests, and if you have some terrible women in the city, it's none of my business, each of us has his own understanding of beauty.
08-23-2018, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
all I care about is if folks are having fun. Personally, I don't see anything sad or shameful in someone enjoying their hobby in whatever way they see fit, and if that involves new (to them) equipment, so be it
Well said, @BigMackCam

08-23-2018, 05:34 AM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomas Perminas Quote
Getting your subjects is a major part of portrait photography. If a person can't get them - he's failing as a portrait photographer even before he started taking pics.

It's funny when people start blaming model or equipment, instead of their lack of skill. I'm speaking in general, not about you mate
Yes, bro, when everyone understands that most hands grow from one place just below the back, they start to look for the cause in another: then the model is better, then the weather, then the stars in the sky helped) Just to not work on skills and not to recognize the fact that not everyone who has a SLR has the right to be called a photographer)

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 05:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Yuri

We have a large active membership here, from folks who joined us in the last few days to those that have been with us for many years. Within our community - and it is a community, that takes time and constructive contribution to become a part of - we have members with a wide range of skill levels, from very basic to extremely advanced. Whatever their skill levels, we have some members who enjoy equipment as much as (occasionally, more than) they enjoy photography. Whether their skills get the most from their gear is, in my view, immaterial - so long as they're having fun (which, for most of us, is what this hobby is about). I like to see great photos as much as the next guy, but I try not to judge other people's photography as strong or weak - all I care about is if folks are having fun. Personally, I don't see anything sad or shameful in someone enjoying their hobby in whatever way they see fit, and if that involves new (to them) equipment, so be it

Personally, my favourite camera is my old Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone). I have other more recent and advanced models, but I like the quality of files the GX-10 produces, and I'm happy with the results I get. Of course, in the hands of a more-experienced and skilled photographer (and there are plenty of those here ), it can produce far better results than I get from it. But that doesn't stop me enjoying the camera as part of my hobby, and what people think of my photography is, frankly, immaterial - unless, that is, I'm asking for critique, in which case constructive appraisal and advice is appreciated. I'd typically prefer if our members - even the established ones that I know quite well by now - didn't refer to my photos as sad or weak, though
Thank God that he created us all different and I want call weak work done on expensive stuff with weak work because the truth is more precious to me than any conventions. And for a person with weak jobs is even useful, I do not call names, but I'm talking about the situation as a whole
08-23-2018, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

And I'm not saying that I'm always right, but the fact remains: even the old-timers of the forum have very weak photos and this surprised me a bit.
I think the fact that it's called the Pentax forum, is an indication that it's more inclined to the brand and it's supporters.

As Pentax is probably not most professional photographers number one choice of hardware, it results in all the snap shots you see, mine included, but be sure most of us seriously endeavour to give it their best shot
08-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

OH YEA ! You need more equipment like a tickle FEATHER to get more smiles out of your gals. Never seen such a large unhappy lot with no break in between !
08-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I think the fact that it's called the Pentax forum, is an indication that it's more inclined to the brand and it's supporters.

As Pentax is probably not most professional photographers number one choice of hardware, it results in all the snap shots you see, mine included, but be sure most of us seriously endeavour to give it their best shot
I use the technique of this brand, and I am very pleased with the result. Searching for models, light, location, post-processing is the work of a photographer, if a person calls himself a photographer, your camera just needs to capture the image, and here I have no complaints about Pentax.
In fact, there are two different things. This photographer, who photographs with the help of what he has in his hands
And the owner of an expensive camera, which has no skills, no models, no direct hands, no brains) Unfortunately ...
08-23-2018, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #28

As an example, a Master Carpenter (or any other skill related craftsman) can improve his or her work with better tools. It's a fact, however, to consider that buying a better tool will automatically improve one's performance is a bit over the top. It's still the craftsman's performance in the long run, but as my Grandpa used to say: There's a right tool for every job and using that right tool provides the best chance of being successful at whatever the endeavor. Excellence has many facets! Good luck and good shooting to all.
08-23-2018, 06:42 AM - 4 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure what to make of this, I am a "beginner" that bought a K-1 II because I could and it offered me some things that my previous K-5 body could not - mainly the articulated back screen and I like the connectivity options. I did not buy it thinking my pictures would look better, but more a tool that I could grow into.
08-23-2018, 06:45 AM - 12 Likes   #30

Since the comment is frequently made here that skills are more important than gear, and folks are daily posting questions about technique and asking for critique of their photos, I'd suggest your original comment isn't factual. Further, your succeeding comments come off as insulting and condescending. Perhaps you don't realize that, or perhaps you do. But your generalizations about forum members are false, and your disdain for their attempts at photography comes across as conceited and rude.

Most of us are just regular folks with cameras trying to learn to be better. Most don't have new cameras, nor do most have K-1 full frame bodies. Most don't have $1000 lenses. And yet there are some pretty spectacular pictures posted on this site, along with some others seeking critique, or perhaps just showing an improvement from prior efforts. Understanding other folks are at different points along the skill continuum and learning curve should be a skill any professional photographer has. I suspect your first pictures were not like the ones you post for public view now, were they?
Closed Thread