Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Skills or equipment?

I'm new here, guys, but I'm surprised by the fact that most forum members are sure that after buying expensive equipment, their photos will be better. That's funny. And very sad

08-23-2018, 12:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
I'm new here, guys, but I'm surprised by the fact that most forum members are sure that after buying expensive equipment, their photos will be better. That's funny. And very sad
Oh, you met tech geeks, not photographers They're in every forum no matter what's the topic, so don't worry.
For me K20D is the best Pentax camera there is today and I'm looking for my new purchase - K10D with it's CCD magic!
08-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomas Perminas Quote
Oh, you met tech geeks, not photographers They're in every forum no matter what's the topic, so don't worry.
For me K20D is the best Pentax camera there is today and I'm looking for my new purchase - K10D with it's CCD magic!
Yes, bro, we are in the midst of victims of marketers))
K10d with the old sensor is a wonderful camera, but I do not like the small screen, I take the same portraits ..
08-23-2018, 01:13 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is not a correct assessment: most forum members know very well that their photographs will no improve that much even after buying expensive equipment. However, when they have the money, they feel entitled to reward themselves by buying themselves the best equipment. Some people get pleasure by buying second hand equipment, sometimes even old and cheap lenses for example; some people buy the new more expensive stuff, depending on preferences and budget. And photography is connected to equipment, but fairly separate discipline. There are other sites such as lenseculture and magnum photos, that are not discussing camera equipment at all.

08-23-2018, 01:32 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This is not a correct assessment: most forum members know very well that their photographs will no improve that much even after buying expensive equipment. However, when they have the money, they feel entitled to reward themselves by buying themselves the best equipment. Some people get pleasure by buying second hand equipment, sometimes even old and cheap lenses for example; some people buy the new more expensive stuff, depending on preferences and budget. And photography is connected to equipment, but fairly separate discipline. There are other sites such as lenseculture and magnum photos, that are not discussing camera equipment at all.
And I'm not saying that I'm always right, but the fact remains: even the old-timers of the forum have very weak photos and this surprised me a bit.
08-23-2018, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Agree with Biz-Engineer’s comment above.
I disagree as well to say “most” people here view buying an expensive equipment will improve their photos. You could start a poll on this subject before concluse that most of us think in such manner

I would agree more if you say “most of us want new toys” and it is not a sad thing because… we just want a new toy every now and then. It keeps us happy!
08-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Agree with Biz-Engineer’s comment above.
I disagree as well to say “most” people here view buying an expensive equipment will improve their photos. You could start a poll on this subject before concluse that most of us think in such manner

I would agree more if you say “most of us want new toys” and it is not a sad thing because… we just want a new toy every now and then. It keeps us happy!
It would be better if you were happy with the good photos, my dear.

08-23-2018, 02:08 AM - 4 Likes   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
their photos will be better
If that the case, I look forward to my much improved imagery starting anytime soon...

Or perhaps it's already too late, as you may have already classified me in the... "even the old-timers of the forum have very weak photos and this surprised me a bit." category.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-23-2018 at 04:02 AM.
08-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Perhaps something like equipment that can maximise your potential skills
08-23-2018, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

What specifically is weak, in your assessment, about the "old-timers" photos here you have seen? And I assume these photos have been taken with the more modern and expensive gear options ....?
08-23-2018, 02:25 AM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Perhaps something like equipment that can maximise your potential skills
Well, yes, but some skills do not match their staff, thank you for understanding)

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 02:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
What specifically is weak, in your assessment, about the "old-timers" photos here you have seen? And I assume these photos have been taken with the more modern and expensive gear options ....?
Yes, man, I looked at the galleries of some K-1 owners, it's a shame, in most cases.
08-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It would be better if you were happy with the good photos, my dear.
Everyone happy with the good photo. no question about that.

But say that "most" members here thinking expensive pieces of equipment will improve their photo without A way to prove your claim will only make yourself unhappy, and what another people will use or buy is non of our business. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you upset with another people skill that much, help them, give them a constructive comment.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-23-2018 at 02:34 PM.
08-23-2018, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The people here are mostly not trying to make a living out of photography and they take all sorts of photos for all sorts of reasons - and what matters most to them is that they satisfy themselves - and if that includes buying the newest equipment, and they can afford it, then that's good for all of us, as it keeps Pentax afloat. Perhaps the clue is in the name - this is a brand based forum whereas if it was first and foremost photography based, brand would not matter.

Last edited by ffking; 08-23-2018 at 08:46 AM.
08-23-2018, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I checked out your Instagram and 'staff' (inc K5 and Ist D) and yes you have shot gorgeous portraits with long superseded equipment. After being smitten by new tech I've come around to the skills rather than equipment side of the equation. And currently I don't have either.
But I might pose another question. Would your photos be as good if you didn't have such beautiful subjects? It's difficult to separate the two.

Last edited by officiousbystander; 08-23-2018 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Punctuation.
08-23-2018, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I checked out your Instagram and 'staff' (inc K5 and Ist D) and yes you have shot gorgeous portraits with long superseded equipment. After being smitten by new tech I've come around to the skills rather than equipment side of the equation. And currently I don't have either.
But I might pose another question. Would your photos be as good if you didn't have such beautiful subjects? It's difficult to separate the two.
Getting your subjects is a major part of portrait photography. If a person can't get them - he's failing as a portrait photographer even before he started taking pics.

It's funny when people start blaming model or equipment, instead of their lack of skill. I'm speaking in general, not about you mate
Closed Thread