Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Three?
nah - that's going too far... isn't it?
08-23-2018, 01:47 PM - 5 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This Forum is composed of people who mainly have in common that they shoot or used to shoot, Pentax gear. There is no particular level of skill you need to post photos here or to comment on a thread. Which is probably good, because it would be a quiet place otherwise.

The question isn't really a gear question or a skill question, but whether people are enjoying themselves. If they like what they shoot and are happy, then there is no big deal. You shoot some very nice portraits, as evidenced in your links, but the best thing to do is to try help others -- but probably do so when they ask for help. If someone is shooting mediocre photos, but likes them, you will only turn them off by aggressively telling them that what they are shooting is no good.
08-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
I'm new here, guys, but I'm surprised by the fact that most forum members are sure that after buying expensive equipment, their photos will be better. That's funny. And very sad
I've been singing that song for 10 years. It's great to have a worthy successor. My favourite line, if you don't take compelling images with what you have, you won't take them with what you think you want.

08-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #65
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This Forum is composed of people who mainly have in common that they shoot or used to shoot, Pentax gear. There is no particular level of skill you need to post photos here or to comment on a thread. Which is probably good, because it would be a quiet place otherwise.

The question isn't really a gear question or a skill question, but whether people are enjoying themselves. If they like what they shoot and are happy, then there is no big deal. You shoot some very nice portraits, as evidenced in your links, but the best thing to do is to try help others -- but probably do so when they ask for help. If someone is shooting mediocre photos, but likes them, you will only turn them off by aggressively telling them that what they are shooting is no good.
Absolutely, Ron. That's what we're all about here
08-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #66
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, and that's why so many of us stay, and enjoy the forums.
08-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Three?
I'll see your three and make it four

08-23-2018, 03:13 PM - 4 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Absolutely, Ron. That's what we're all about here
Especially for those of us who understand what we need to do to be better, but just aren't willing to do it. I'm retired. I don't get up early to get take advantage of morning light. I don't do elaborate sets and lighting for portraits, I don't make sure I get every shot i see, in fact my method these days is take 4-6 shots and hoe one of them turns out. I'm not longer willing to suffer for my pictures very often. I'm just happy being happy with what I can do for the effort I'm willing to put in. I suspect that's most of us.

We have a few hot shots here, people willing to do whatever it takes to get the shot they want, but not a lot. Most of us are pretty casual. We just like hanging out with the crowd.
08-23-2018, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #69
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Especially for those of us who understand what we need to do to be better, but just aren't willing to do it. I'm retired. I don't get up early to get take advantage of morning light. I don't do elaborate sets and lighting for portraits, I don't make sure I get every shot i see, in fact my method these days is take 4-6 shots and hoe one of them turns out. I'm not longer willing to suffer for my pictures very often. I'm just happy being happy with what I can do for the effort I'm willing to put in. I suspect that's most of us.
It's like we're brothers. Well, you're a tad more cantankerous than me, but that aside...
08-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #70
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

08-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great chat from everyone. (And getting the post count up, too!)

Yuri, IMHO, the photography is better on the Pentaxians Facebook site, and the discussion is better here.

You're free to move between them in order to get what you need out of time spent on a computer, but wherever you are, best to drop that "You won't like this, but I'm telling the artistic truth" attitude.

This (and to a lesser extent, there) is a community.

You can see a showcase of Pentaxian photography achieved with both expensive and cheaper gear here:

http://www.pentaxians-yearbook.com/download/Pentaxians_Yearbook_2017.pdf

Last edited by clackers; 08-23-2018 at 05:06 PM.
08-23-2018, 05:12 PM - 3 Likes   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's be honest. Portrait photography is some of the least demanding photography when it comes to the demands on equipment. With controlled lighting, most shots are at base ISO and any DSLR will put out gorgeous images. I shoot weddings and with the lack of light in most wedding venues I need all the high ISO performance I can get. Rarely do I have the nice environment of shooting nicely lite portraits. I have shoot weddings with a K10, K2000 and K100, but it is much more challenging than with the K3 and K50 I use now. Shoot a wedding or two with your K10 and you will see that it is challenged in low light situations.
08-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm new here, guys, but I'm surprised by the fact that most forum members are sure that after buying expensive equipment, their photos will be better. That's funny. And very sad
sorry yuri, you really have got that statement terribly wrong, personally i buy the best equipment i can afford as buying cheap is just throwing money away, i am pretty sure my k1 and lenses will out last me, i know i will not take better pics but i am pretty sure my stuff wont conk out at the moment i need to go snap, ian
08-23-2018, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Getting back to the original post:
I'm new here, guys, but I'm surprised by the fact that most forum members are sure that after buying expensive equipment, their photos will be better.
This is fundamentally incorrect, and demonstrates your lack of understanding of the culture of this forum. MOST of us fully understand that great photography comes from the photographer, not the gear.

What you don't seem to understand is that this is a PENTAX forum, not (only) a photography forum. The gear is sort of the point.

There are some expert photographers here, many unambitious hobbyists, and and a consistent stream of beginners. Some of us enjoy using the cheapest, oldest lenses they can get their hands on. Some of us enjoy seeing what the new stuff offers, and can afford that luxury. If that offends you, I would suggest you are the one with the problem.

Hang around for a while and maybe you'll get it.
08-23-2018, 07:19 PM - 5 Likes   #75
Pentaxian

My photography sucks...…. My gear sucks.....My Images suck.....My creativity sucks.....My ability sucks...…..Im Doomed......Pentax is doomed....we are all doomed...….except for the free K-1II that this post count goes to.....oh wait....now that doesn't count either does it ? Gee Thanks , and to think I had such high hopes...!
Thank god someone straightened me out and showed me the light. Its all pointless....completely pointless.
Its raining here so off I go to take pics of a nice freshly squashed Toad on the road without a flash......and then I definitely need a BEER or 5 !
I almost forgot ! Will be using my beater K-r and my super expensive DA 18-55 WR lens....that way I will get the best image possible !
Its all about the Beer according to Homer Simpson.
Now this should clear everything up for everyone.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-23-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Closed Thread