Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 03:21 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get what Yuri's railing against and I agree, and I see others do too: buying better gear does not IN AND OF ITSELF make you a better photographer.

It only makes getting the same shot easier.

Neophyte photographers seeking to get straight into the biggest and best should be sent out into the woods with an *istDL locked to manual, an M42 adapter, a selection of Takumar lenses, a tripod and a cable release, an exercise I inflicted on myself yesterday afternoon. After a month of that, they would have a deeper appreciation for the gear they lust after or potentially no need for it.

08-26-2018, 03:30 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Really? So experience has nothing to do with it, simply higher end equipment?
So you decided to completely ignore the bit of my post where I clearly stated that of course skills are important and often a better investment than gear?
08-26-2018, 03:59 AM - 3 Likes   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think Mr. FF is saying is, he has no experience so he's just going to rant on about what he suspects might be true.
Oh Norm, if you want to slag me off, at least have the courage to make it a direct reply so I get notified.

I see your hubris has taken you on a crazy ride again. Claiming someone has no experience simply because they disagree with you, counting 'strikes' and fashioning yourself the 'umpire' calling people 'out', because apparently you consider yourself the ultimate authority, the one to put others in their place

QuoteQuote:
Why do so many people with little to no practical experience ...
Okay ...

QuoteQuote:
The only reason we get insane posts like this is because you don't have to have a license to comment on photography. I get good pictures with my Tamron 300 and 1.7, when conditions are right, I get good pictures with my DA* 200 when conditions are appropriate, I get good images with my DA 55-300 when conditions are appropriate. There isn't a lens I own (which also includes the DA*60-250 and two TCs that meant I don't use the others. They have to be used when appropriate, and when a lens is appropriate, it gives you the best image. Bar none.
Funny, we'll have to let all the professional photographers know. All those Reuters, NYT and AFP journalists running around with expensive primes, all those sports shooters at the Olympics lugging around the big artillery, all the National Geographic photographers with their D5s and massive tele-zooms. They'll be so relieved when you tell them that they (or their employer) don't need to spend tens of thousands on professional equipment, but the kit lens will do! I mean, considering most photographers don't get paid very well, I'm sure they are more than glad to spend the money on their kids' college funds or a new kitchen instead.

They do have the skills and experience, after all, and if skills is all you need ...

QuoteQuote:
There's only one possible reason for thinking more expensive gear automatically improves your photos.
And that's the funny thing - I never said 'expensive gear automatically improves your photos'. I said that both skill and gear factor into it, and that gear plays a smaller role in certain fields than in others, but that it does play a role. But of course you (and many others around here) immediately resort to such straw man arguments, first inventing statements I never made, then attacking them.

QuoteQuote:
I guess it's not unusual for the youngsters to think experience counts for nothing ...
And the next straw man argument.

QuoteQuote:
But it's not the most intelligent opinion.
Yeah, seriously. Never held that opinion, never propagated it. But it's arguing against a wall with you.
08-26-2018, 04:26 AM   #139
Pentaxian

If someone is interested in pursuing photography, there is nothing wrong with them buying the best gear they can afford. One common feature of the current DSLRs from Pentaxland is that they all have a range of features and capabilities that makes them suitable for use by anyone from beginner to experienced level. For example, the beginner could start with auto-everything on a KP, plus a brief lesson on exposure compensation, and concentrate on subjects and composition. As skills and experience develop, it is likely that any of his/her questions can be answered by changing the settings and feature-use of the camera. Also, if the funds are there, it would make similar sense to start with a capable lens, such as a DA*16-50 f/2.8, rather than the cheap kit lens.

Philip

08-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking for myself only, I have found my "new" K-3II has allowed me to improved the images I take with every lens I have. The biggest surprise was the huge improvement from the SMC A ☆ 400 F2.8 ED[IF], which I purchased in 1987, along with my Bogen 3033 tripod. A new gimbal head and a new camera can re-awaken the desire to improve. I do know my limitations and only shoot wildlife and nature, anyone who knows me will tell you " Steven takes wonderful critter photos but don't ever let him take your picture unless you want to look 30 years older and 50 pounds heavier!" For family get-togethers I strap my 1st DL with the DA 16-45 on my nephew, then turn him loose on the crowd [ I later removed the lens hood as he figured out the flash and preview in maybe 10 minutes on his own and he came back wondering what the black areas in the images were! ]
08-26-2018, 06:14 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting back to Yuri, this showed up on FB today as a one year old memory. Apparently (fb translation is weak) he had an old monster Kiev 35mm camera and optics he couldn't sell so he hobbled together an adapter for the lenses. The result is stunning.

Yuri Leo - ? | Facebook
08-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
Well well
Your work is ok for a portrait shooter. Nothing to be so cocky about.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-26-2018 at 04:50 PM.
08-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #143
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hello )))

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
Your work is ok for a portrait shooter. Nothing to be so cocky about.
I looked at your work, and I can not reciprocate. But when it's good, I will praise you.
Sincerely, Yuri Leo
08-26-2018, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked at your work, and I can not reciprocate. But when it's good, I will praise you.
Sincerely, Yuri Leo
You may not think so but my clients think so. They pay my bills not you. If you lived next door I would still have no competition from your work.
08-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #145
Banned

Original Poster
viva Pentax for example)))

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
You may not think so but my clients think so. They pay my bills not you. If you lived next door I would still have no competition from your work.
Do not pay attention to the subjective opinion of the loser from a backward country
Greeting from Ukraine
08-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about putting a stop to this thread ?
08-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #147
Pentaxian

What makes a good photographer ?

Skills or equipment?

Probably a bit of both. Similar question to what makes a good driver...is it the car...or the 'nut' behind the wheel ?

Also probably a bit of both..sometimes the 'nut'....sometimes the car.

Les
08-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #148
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
How about putting a stop to this thread ?
Perfect discussion, what you do not like? In my opinion, very interesting)

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 11:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What makes a good photographer ?

Skills or equipment?

Probably a bit of both. Similar question to what makes a good driver...is it the car...or the 'nut' behind the wheel ?

Also probably a bit of both..sometimes the 'nut'....sometimes the car.

Les
Yes, if you understand, then the question is purely rhetorical, but who are all these people who wrote more than 10 pages on the wall?: D: D: D
08-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perfect discussion, what you do not like? In my opinion, very interesting)

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 11:41 AM ----------

Yes, if you understand, then the question is purely rhetorical, but who are all these people who wrote more than 10 pages on the wall?: D: D: D

The tone ...
08-26-2018, 12:11 PM - 4 Likes   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will not be drawn, Yuri. The threads in Pentaxforums do not need this level of aggression and abuse. In my opinion the tone of this thread has often fallen below what I suspect many users will find acceptable. A newcomer encountering this thread is likely to perceive the abuse to be off-putting, or worse to believe this is the norm. Moderators any opinion ?
Closed Thread