Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #1
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kharkiv
Photos: Albums
Posts: 64
Skills or equipment?

I'm new here, guys, but I'm surprised by the fact that most forum members are sure that after buying expensive equipment, their photos will be better. That's funny. And very sad

08-23-2018, 12:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Junior Member
Tomas Perminas's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Klaipėda
Posts: 27
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
I'm new here, guys, but I'm surprised by the fact that most forum members are sure that after buying expensive equipment, their photos will be better. That's funny. And very sad
Oh, you met tech geeks, not photographers They're in every forum no matter what's the topic, so don't worry.
For me K20D is the best Pentax camera there is today and I'm looking for my new purchase - K10D with it's CCD magic!
08-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #3
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kharkiv
Photos: Albums
Posts: 64
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomas Perminas Quote
Oh, you met tech geeks, not photographers They're in every forum no matter what's the topic, so don't worry.
For me K20D is the best Pentax camera there is today and I'm looking for my new purchase - K10D with it's CCD magic!
Yes, bro, we are in the midst of victims of marketers))
K10d with the old sensor is a wonderful camera, but I do not like the small screen, I take the same portraits ..
08-23-2018, 01:13 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,191
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
I'm new here, guys, but I'm surprised by the fact that most forum members are sure that after buying expensive equipment, their photos will be better. That's funny. And very sad
This is not a correct assessment: most forum members know very well that their photographs will no improve that much even after buying expensive equipment. However, when they have the money, they feel entitled to reward themselves by buying themselves the best equipment. Some people get pleasure by buying second hand equipment, sometimes even old and cheap lenses for example; some people buy the new more expensive stuff, depending on preferences and budget. And photography is connected to equipment, but fairly separate discipline. There are other sites such as lenseculture and magnum photos, that are not discussing camera equipment at all.

08-23-2018, 01:32 AM   #5
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kharkiv
Photos: Albums
Posts: 64
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
This is not a correct assessment: most forum members know very well that their photographs will no improve that much even after buying expensive equipment. However, when they have the money, they feel entitled to reward themselves by buying themselves the best equipment. Some people get pleasure by buying second hand equipment, sometimes even old and cheap lenses for example; some people buy the new more expensive stuff, depending on preferences and budget. And photography is connected to equipment, but fairly separate discipline. There are other sites such as lenseculture and magnum photos, that are not discussing camera equipment at all.
And I'm not saying that I'm always right, but the fact remains: even the old-timers of the forum have very weak photos and this surprised me a bit.
08-23-2018, 01:40 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,028
Agree with Biz-Engineer’s comment above.
I disagree as well to say “most” people here view buying an expensive equipment will improve their photos. You could start a poll on this subject before concluse that most of us think in such manner

I would agree more if you say “most of us want new toys” and it is not a sad thing because… we just want a new toy every now and then. It keeps us happy!
08-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #7
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kharkiv
Photos: Albums
Posts: 64
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Agree with Biz-Engineer’s comment above.
I disagree as well to say “most” people here view buying an expensive equipment will improve their photos. You could start a poll on this subject before concluse that most of us think in such manner

I would agree more if you say “most of us want new toys” and it is not a sad thing because… we just want a new toy every now and then. It keeps us happy!
It would be better if you were happy with the good photos, my dear.
08-23-2018, 02:08 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 39,848
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
their photos will be better
If that the case, I look forward to my much improved imagery starting anytime soon...

Or perhaps it's already too late, as you may have already classified me in the... "even the old-timers of the forum have very weak photos and this surprised me a bit." category.


Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-23-2018 at 04:02 AM.
08-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian
kooks's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San José, Costa Rica
Photos: Albums
Posts: 794
Perhaps something like equipment that can maximise your potential skills
08-23-2018, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,589
What specifically is weak, in your assessment, about the "old-timers" photos here you have seen? And I assume these photos have been taken with the more modern and expensive gear options ....?
08-23-2018, 02:25 AM   #11
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kharkiv
Photos: Albums
Posts: 64
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Perhaps something like equipment that can maximise your potential skills
Well, yes, but some skills do not match their staff, thank you for understanding)

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 02:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
What specifically is weak, in your assessment, about the "old-timers" photos here you have seen? And I assume these photos have been taken with the more modern and expensive gear options ....?
Yes, man, I looked at the galleries of some K-1 owners, it's a shame, in most cases.
08-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,028
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
It would be better if you were happy with the good photos, my dear.
Everyone happy with the good photo. no question about that.

But say that "most" members here thinking expensive pieces of equipment will improve their photo without A way to prove your claim will only make yourself unhappy, and what another people will use or buy is non of our business. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you upset with another people skill that much, help them, give them a constructive comment.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-23-2018 at 02:34 PM.
08-23-2018, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 4,040
The people here are mostly not trying to make a living out of photography and they take all sorts of photos for all sorts of reasons - and what matters most to them is that they satisfy themselves - and if that includes buying the newest equipment, and they can afford it, then that's good for all of us, as it keeps Pentax afloat. Perhaps the clue is in the name - this is a brand based forum whereas if it was first and foremost photography based, brand would not matter.

Last edited by ffking; 08-23-2018 at 08:46 AM.
08-23-2018, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 570
I checked out your Instagram and 'staff' (inc K5 and Ist D) and yes you have shot gorgeous portraits with long superseded equipment. After being smitten by new tech I've come around to the skills rather than equipment side of the equation. And currently I don't have either.
But I might pose another question. Would your photos be as good if you didn't have such beautiful subjects? It's difficult to separate the two.

Last edited by officiousbystander; 08-23-2018 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Punctuation.
08-23-2018, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #15
Junior Member
Tomas Perminas's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Klaipėda
Posts: 27
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I checked out your Instagram and 'staff' (inc K5 and Ist D) and yes you have shot gorgeous portraits with long superseded equipment. After being smitten by new tech I've come around to the skills rather than equipment side of the equation. And currently I don't have either.
But I might pose another question. Would your photos be as good if you didn't have such beautiful subjects? It's difficult to separate the two.
Getting your subjects is a major part of portrait photography. If a person can't get them - he's failing as a portrait photographer even before he started taking pics.

It's funny when people start blaming model or equipment, instead of their lack of skill. I'm speaking in general, not about you mate
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
break, camera, car, care, chat, dslr, equipment, feather, fun, gals, gx-10, hobby, lives, lot, models, opinion, people, photographer, photographers, photography, photos, reason, results, skill, skills, smiles, yea
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best of 2016 Bucking skills old_manual_guy Post Your Photos! 3 07-02-2018 07:00 AM
Studio lighning skills flaotte Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 10 04-06-2017 12:53 PM
Food Eating skills > Photography Skills Nostrildamus Photo Critique 7 02-03-2014 05:53 PM
How Do You Advertise Your Skills? mr.b.snowden Photographic Technique 6 07-20-2011 09:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top