Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

anyone pick up a Katz Eye for their K20D yet?

i have a katz eye in my K100D, and love it, but slightly apprehensive about purchasing one for my k20d, has anyone here taken the plunge and gotten one?

has it affected autofocus accuracy, exposure, or general feel?

09-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a few minutes ago I received an e-mail confirming that mine has been shipped.

I'll let you know about everything except autofocus accuracy when it gets here.
09-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #3

see this post
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/28316-katz-eyes-katz-arse.html
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Hi all, I'm sure that this will apply to the K20D as well.

I was having trouble getting fine focus with my Pentax manual lenses on the K10D, pictures not always as sharp as I would like, sort of bit hit and miss as to when, oh the joys of getting older.

I’ve been to the optician and yes, new glasses on the way, (had been 4 years since my last eyeball overhaul) this in itself will no doubt go a long way to fixing my problem.

But I still thought I needed a split prism with microprism ring, like in my old LX's and having read the various threads on forums, Katzeye seemed to be the way to go.

Ok folks update time, got the Katz Eye, installed first time no problems, viewfinder now just amazing bright etc. Focus easy and swift, if you manual focus, jus get one of these, truly mega.

I got the standard Katz Eye focusing screen for the Pentax K10D & K20D. Which is the prism type, Katz Eye plus split prism w/microprism collar, I paid for the extra for the optibrite treatment, I just want everything as bright as it can possible be, if not even brighter. I didn't bother Pentax AF area brackets or grid/crop lines, as I'm mainly a manual man.

I haven't had any metering problems yet because I'm lucky enough to have fast lenses; main four I use are 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.4, 135mm f1.8 & 200mm f2.8. Slower lenses, they may seem to over expose a little, but nothing that a Raw PEF with CS3 can't sort if I forget to compensate exposure at the time.

Just go for it, you won't regret it

09-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have installed mine. It was originally in a K10D. It is a godsend with the Vivitar. I haven't had any problems except the documented one - spot metering is way off when using lenses slower than f2.8. Centre weighted and averaged work fine. Dave
09-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Mine Katz Eye focusing screen for my K20D is on the UPS truck and will be delivered to my door within minutes!

My order:
Prism Type: Katz Eye Plus Split Prism w/Microprism Collar;
OptiBrite Treatment: Yes;
Pentax AF Area Brackets: No;
Grid/Crop Lines: Rule of Thirds Grid Lines

I'll re-post here when I have it installed and can offer some informed opinion on it.

Cheers,

-Jason
09-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so a K10D and K20D have absolutelty identical screens? (not that i'm surprised, but this sort of thing is hard to verify.)

09-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
so a K10D and K20D have absolutelty identical screens? (not that i'm surprised, but this sort of thing is hard to verify.)
Yes. I ordered my Katz Eye focusing screen originally for the K10D and used it there. When I got the K20D, I moved the Katz Eye into the newer camera.

I was originally quite enthusiastic about the Katz Eye screens. I don't have anything negative to say about them - I've not had any problems. But it's been six months or more since I got the K20D and I've been thinking about getting a second focusing screen (for the K10D) and I have not gotten around to it yet because, I guess, it just doesn't seem that important to me now. I use auto-focus most of the time (I'd say 90%+). When I do focus by hand, the Katz Eye screen definitely helps. The rest of the time I'm not sure it really matters all that much.

Will
09-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Yes - Rachel confirmed that before I got my K20. Dave
09-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

When I moved from the k10d to the k20d, I switched the katz eye over without problems. Both cameras use the same focusing screen.

I LOVE the katz eye. I manual focus 99% of the time and can't imagine going without it now.
09-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well after i upgraded to a 20D from my katz-eye equiped 100D, i continued to use my manual focus lenses, but i wouldnt say that i was overly handicapped, the focus confirmation blip helps alot, even in dim light..

on the other hand the focus confirmation can engage anywhere within the depth of field, and sometimes its not all that accurate, LOL
09-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

IMHO focussing screen can't affect focussing accuracy. AF sensors are in the bottom of the camera and light to them doesn't go through focussing screen.

Exposure accuracy is another story...