Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

over exposure k 100 D

Here's the deal, I initiate teenager and young adults to photography, all the camera I get are donated dslr's. This week I recieved a k100d in nice condition 55,000 clics. The owner tried it out before he sent it and says it worked just fine. When I tried it out wether in Av,Tv,Scn,Auto or what ever it always over exposes. It'll stay open 5,10 even 30 seconds. I have reset it, I tried another lens. Exposure compensation is at zero. I just took a photo directly in the sun and it stayed open 1.5 seconds....... Any Ideas please......

Last edited by dorightjaq; 08-25-2018 at 12:17 PM. Reason: new info
08-25-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know the K1000 but if it has the little+/- button, it could have exposure compensation set way too high. Perhaps some of the experts can help. Is there a way to do a factory reset and then update the firmware?
08-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I don't know the K1000 but if it has the little+/- button, it could have exposure compensation set way too high. Perhaps some of the experts can help. Is there a way to do a factory reset and then update the firmware?
thanks....exposure compensation is the first thing I checked and it was reset.....
08-25-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Does it expose properly in M mode?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Does it expose properly in M mode?
yes it exposes fine in manuel
08-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Have you tried cleaning the mirror box with an air blower? Also, is the camera in spot metering mode? That can throw things off if you're not expecting it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried cleaning the mirror box with an air blower? Also, is the camera in spot metering mode? That can throw things off if you're not expecting it.
yes the mirror box is clean and I have tried the camera in all metering modes........?

08-26-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One possible problem is that the light meter's sensor has become dislodged or damaged.

Try this: put the lens cap on and then watch the Auto mode exposure readings as you point the VIEWFINDER at various very bright and very dark scenes. If sunlight coming into the viewfinder causes a much faster autoexposure shutter speed, then it suggests the sensor is functioning but has been dislodged. It might be easily fixed if you can get the top plate off.

Good luck!
08-28-2018, 04:04 AM   #9

so it's an intermitant problem....so probably a loose connection and I don't have the patient to open it. CASE CLOSED

THANKS ALL

Last edited by jaq68; 08-28-2018 at 04:04 AM. Reason: forgot