Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Purchased ME Super to compare to my K3

I just bought an old ME Super to compare to my K3. Itís fun to shoot it again (I bought one in 1980 with my paper route money). Will poste more later

08-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthol Quote
I just bought an old ME Super to compare to my K3. Itís fun to shoot it again (I bought one in 1980 with my paper route money). Will poste more later

to compare what to your K-3?
08-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can tell you there’s a huge difference between those two cameras! Although both are fun to use in their own rights.
08-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
to compare what to your K-3?
film vs digital....full frame vs crop?....and the difference in viewfinders is astounding, although K3 has a good viewfinder for a modern DSLR. The ME viewfinder is enormous by comparison.

08-26-2018, 11:48 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

The K-3 has better auto focus and dynamic range. But then again, you can't use the ME winder with the K-3.
08-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently start a comparison of Pentax MX to my Pentax K5II. So far I did not decide yet what is better. Sometimes MX win, sometimes K5. The one thing for sure: switching of ISO on MX is cumbersome.
08-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
The K-3 has better auto focus and dynamic range. But then again, you can't use the ME winder with the K-3.
Of course, the ME Super has no AF, as it was designed in the MF only era. As to dynamic range (exposure latitude) I believe print film is still champion here. Digital has more closely resembled reversal film (slide film) in this characteristic. Maybe lately it has caught up some.

The ME Super was a beautiful and capable little camera. But not near as capable as a K-3 in refinements, features and amenities. But yes, the VF is amazing!
08-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Of course, the ME Super has no AF, as it was designed in the MF only era. As to dynamic range (exposure latitude) I believe print film is still champion here. Digital has more closely resembled reversal film (slide film) in this characteristic. Maybe lately it has caught up some.

The ME Super was a beautiful and capable little camera. But not near as capable as a K-3 in refinements, features and amenities. But yes, the VF is amazing!
Digital has about 5 stops better dynamic range than film. But yes, digital is more like positive film in the regards that blown highlights are not recoverable. Digital is much better than film when it comes to pulling details from shadows.

08-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I toonhave both cameras, even have the wonder on the ME Super. I've still got to get it CLAd but I will start shooting film as well soon
08-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, part of this is for nostalgia and part to just learn hands on what might be learned that canít be predicted. I want to shoot Tri-x again to see how I can push it for super high contrast like I did decades ago. I like the smaller/lighter size and core simplicity of the film camera. Dynamic range, ease of use, resolution will be better on K3. I miss the highlight treatment and red capture capability I remember on film. Iíd like to see if I find a combination of film and vintage lenses that looks good on bright sunny days in a nostalgic way. Maybe play with shooting into the sun and making use of flare. Maybe recapture a bit of the 1970ís feel and avoid the clinical perfection thatís becoming so easy. And I have found an old lens that is super sharp (maybe the sharpest K-mountj but very low contrast. I want to shoot film b&w architecture with it to see if it looks as good as I remember with my second hand German Balda rangefinder in the 1980s
08-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote

Of course the ME Super doesn't have AF, thus the entire basis for my deadpan comment. Nor does the ME winder
have any relevance to the K-3, even if it did fit.

I believe twilhelm above has addressed the issue of DR. I agree with that assessment, (and stand by my
assertion that the K-3 has a wider DR than the ME Super).

08-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hmm. It has been a while, but I've seen comparative photos shot with both a then current DSLR and print film where the print film revealed both more open shadow detail and less blowout highlights. I guess this means you can safely overexpose, which can open up shadows more. I have forgotten the standard given for stops of forgiveness for print film, but it was impressive.

@ tvdtvdtvd- naturally I took your comment tongue in cheek. But just in case someone more novice got confused... Too bad the K-3 cannot use the ME winder- it has such a huge grip!! A huge grip seems to attract a lot of positive attention these days! Maybe it was the foundation for the idea behind the KP, which with its variable grips, including the battery grip, can convert a compact body into a meaty feel.
08-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The biggest difference is, no development cost and an SD card fits so many photos it's like a having a roll of film the size of a 55 gallon drum.
08-28-2018, 12:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthol Quote
I wish I try it if not for the fact that I need to drive 1/2 hr to develop film. My lab was gone at least 10 yrs ago. Wish you all success
08-28-2018, 04:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
The biggest difference is, no development cost and an SD card fits so many photos it's like a having a roll of film the size of a 55 gallon drum.
When I bought my K20D (used) it came with a 256 MB SD card, which was enough to hold 24 exposures. It was just like the good old days, but a little impractical when I shot my kids at football tournaments.