Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Ricoh does anything to mark the 100th Anniversary of the Asahi Optical Co. It will be purely a marketing gimmick.
New Pentax activity has been very very slow since you posted this. I believe it is entirely possible that they have held back some things they could have released 2018 Qtr 4 and will release them 2019 Qtr 1 instead.

12-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
New Pentax activity has been very very slow since you posted this. I believe it is entirely possible that they have held back some things they could have released 2018 Qtr 4 and will release them 2019 Qtr 1 instead.
In that Tokyo interview, the Ricoh executive did not say anything special about the 100 years, other than a hint at 'something silver'.

So, not a lot of products not already in the pipeline, perhaps a commemorative silver K-1 II, they haven't done that one yet.
12-24-2018, 05:50 AM - 7 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Asahi Optical Co and successors no longer exists. It was wholly merged into Hoya Corp. Pentax isn’t a company, per se. It is just a brand of cameras and lenses marketed by Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd., and not even a trade name until 1957 or so. If Ricoh does anything to mark the 100th Anniversary of the Asahi Optical Co. It will be purely a marketing gimmick.
It's not quite fully correct... HOYA bought PENTAX in a hostile takeover and merged PENTAX into HOYA Group as multiple divisions. They eventually split off part of the original company as PENTAX Imaging (cameras, sport optics and related items) and sold it to Ricoh. The newly separate PENTAX company consisted mainly of original PENTAX corp staff and engineers. After Ricoh bought PENTAX Imaging, they renamed it to Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company and continued to use the old PENTAX headquarters in Tokiwadai. Ricoh later changed the name to Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd., moved the operations (including original PENTAX staff) out of the old PENTAX building to their Ricoh office in Omori and transferred the Ricoh camera division into the PENTAX division.

It's still mainly the original (Asahi) PENTAX staff, including members of management and engineers (with the addition of Ricoh staff), but under a new name and owner. One can argue that PENTAX is more than just a brand, and that Ricoh Imaging, which is owned by Ricoh Group, is the successor company to (Asahi Optical) PENTAX Corp.

In my opinion, a 100th anniversary is more than just a marketing gimmick all things considered. And they are indeed planning to make a big deal about it. They will have some interesting products to mark the occasion according to what I've heard from my talks with them.

Last edited by Albert Siegel; 12-24-2018 at 05:56 AM.
12-24-2018, 06:25 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for this very interesting information, Albert. Bits and pieces have been around but I, at least, was not aware that there was so much continuity. Glad to hear it.

12-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
the old PENTAX headquarters in Tokiwadai. Ricoh later changed the name to Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd., moved the operations (including original PENTAX staff) out of the old PENTAX building to their Ricoh office in Omori
Interesting!
What's the old adress in Tokiwadai? Are there any pictures?
The sky is not falling! - PentaxForums.com

Do you know about the old Pentax Museum? And about the current status about the Pentax Forum inside the Shinjuku Center in Tokio?
Pentax Museum closed - what happened to the exhibits? - PentaxForums.com
12-24-2018, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Interesting!
What's the old adress in Tokiwadai? Are there any pictures?
The sky is not falling! - PentaxForums.com

Do you know about the old Pentax Museum? And about the current status about the Pentax Forum inside the Shinjuku Center in Tokio?
Pentax Museum closed - what happened to the exhibits? - PentaxForums.com
The old Tokiwadai building can be seen here: Google Maps

I used to live a ten minute walk away from it. I used to visit fairly often. There used to be another building across the street, but it's now a massive apartment complex.

The old Pentax museum was closed by Hoya. They gave away most of the stuff inside to JCII Camera Museum

The Pentax Forum in Shinjuku is still around, but called Ricoh Square. It was recently renovated and still going strong. I was there yesterday and picked up a little something I needed.
12-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #52
Pentaxian

When did Pentax leave the old building in Maenochō?
File:PENTAX head office tokyo 2009.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

And what adress and purpose did this buldung have?
File:Pearl Building.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Do you know more about the hostory and location of this building?
Pentax mosaics on old HQ building - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 12-24-2018 at 01:05 PM.
12-24-2018, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

When did Pentax leave the old building in Maenochō?
File:PENTAX head office tokyo 2009.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

And what adress and purpose did this buldung have?
File:Pearl Building.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Do you know more about the hostory and location of this building?
Pentax mosaics on old HQ building - PentaxForums.com

Your first link is to the building that was demolished and is now the apartment complex across from the map link I listed. I am unsure of the date they left, but it was across the street from what became their final HQ.

Your second link is to their showroom in Osaka.

Your third link is pretty well covered in that forum post. I remember that PENTAX corp sold off one of their major Tokyo properties in an effort to raise money to fight off the takeover, but I am unsure if this was the building or if it was the Tokiwadai (Maeno-cho) building across from the link I gave. I unsure when they sold it off.
12-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
Your second link is to their showroom in Osaka.
Thanks for your information
What's the adress of the old showroom?

The new showroom should be located here:
Google Maps
Ricoh Imaging Square Osaka moving and expanded - PentaxForums.com
RICOH Imaging Square OSAKA | Community | RICOH IMAGING
12-25-2018, 09:41 PM - 3 Likes   #55
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In the January edition of Nippon Camera, there’s an interview with Ricoh/Pentax about plans for 2029. Specifically, the people interviewed are Kawauchi-san (Ricoh Imaging, Marketing) and Iwasaki-san (Smart Vision).

They said the actual anniversary is November. It will be interesting to see whether they make a fuss of this at CP+ or whether they wait until closer to the actual date.

Another comment was that they don’t see the point in just printing “100 Years” on a product. This in an interesting comment, and I see is as a veiled dig at what Nikon did. They were promoting their 100-year anniversary at two consecutive CP+ and they had a big marketing campaign during the year. Although they did release a number of products during the year, the only ones that were specifically linked to the centenary were the grey special editions of existing models.

The pessimistic way of looking at this is that they are getting their excuses in early for not having anything to release. I tend to think it means they will indeed release something, but it will be something more unique and special.

Also, if CP+ passes without anything for the centenary, it probably means they’re waiting until closer to the actual date.
12-26-2018, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

YO ! Back in the "golden years" of SLR photography, there were evolutionary changes and models were introduced every 5 years. I think Canon began the annual roll-out of new models to the point that their model nomenclature is confusing at best. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON't FIX IT ! The KP is as or more capable than the K-3ii and a KPii would be a decent segue to what Pentax has done.....where in the book of Camera companies does it say that RICOH needs to churn out new cameras every year? Last Quarter was the first profitable one for RICOH in a long while. Preserve and protect the brand. A niche company like Pentax should use the Leica model: produce new models that maintain brand integrity while building on a strong camera foundation.

PENTAX/RICOH will undoubtedly celebrate the centennial--guesstimating what that will be is foolish. Let's enjoy the quality products they do make from the (non) entry level K-70 to the acclaimed K-1ii and the newer versatile KP....Picture taking is individualistic....have you seen how many great shots our Forum mates have produced with decades old cameras on this site? Newer isn't necessarily better and churning out new products just for the sake of doing so, is a waste (i.e., Nikon's lesson in futility & lost market share)....

In a world of decreased DSLR demand, staying tight on new model delivery means brand stability in my humble opinion...
12-26-2018, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

Thanks for your information
What's the adress of the old showroom?

The new showroom should be located here:
Google Maps
Ricoh Imaging Square Osaka moving and expanded - PentaxForums.com
RICOH Imaging Square OSAKA | Community | RICOH IMAGING
Google Maps

---------- Post added 2018-12-26 at 21:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Another comment was that they don’t see the point in just printing “100 Years” on a product. This in an interesting comment, and I see is as a veiled dig at what Nikon did.
I have not been told anything specific, but I have the strong impression in my conversations with Ricoh that they indeed are planning something special much more than just printing 100 years on products. I think 2019 will be the best one for the PENTAX brand in a while.
12-27-2018, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
[...]I tend to think it means they will indeed release something, but it will be something more unique and special.

[...]
Perhaps a 645C with a 100 Mp sensor? :-)
12-27-2018, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

I think the K-3 successor will be out more or less by the end of 19 (since November is the 100 year anniversary that is handy). If we add the DFA* 85/1.4 and the DA* 11-18/2.8 and propably a wider DFA* 35/1.8 announcement that would make the 2019 one interesting year for Ricoh-Pentax and us Pentaxians! Anyway let's see what the new year brings to us... I can't wait

PS: This was my 1000th post! I was saving it for 1-2 new threads I'm preparing, but since the 100th anniversary is more important I just... "wasted" it
01-02-2019, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

^ It's all good!

Only 57 more days until CP+! Will we see something before, during, or after CP+? Who knows!