Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ It's all good!

Only 57 more days until CP+! Will we see something before, during, or after CP+? Who knows!
Only 52 days until they turn asahi man loose.

01-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #62
Pentaxian

^ Hahahaha!

He'll probably start posting some random stuff in the near future.
01-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Asahi Optical Co and successors no longer exists. It was wholly merged into Hoya Corp. Pentax isn’t a company, per se. It is just a brand of cameras and lenses marketed by Ricoh Imaging Co. Ltd., and not even a trade name until 1957 or so. If Ricoh does anything to mark the 100th Anniversary of the Asahi Optical Co. It will be purely a marketing gimmick.
That is absolutely correct, and therein lies the rub. Pentax is a surprisingly resilient brand given its history between Asahi, Honeywell, Hoya and now Ricoh....hell of a ride.
01-18-2019, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Yeah, we're lucky that Ricoh bought the brand and not Sony. Just look at what happened to Konica/Minolta (or even Ericsson) to know why.

02-07-2019, 10:37 PM - 3 Likes   #65
Veteran Member

Just yesterday I realized that this years it's not only 100 years of Asahi Pentax, it was 50 years ago that Pentax introduced the 67. I way always under (wrong) impression that K-mount was the first bayonet type mount of Pentax but it was 67. I dont even know if there are 6x7 sensors out there but it would be a nice surprise if Pentax would come out with a digital 67. Now, since 645 has come down considerably in price and new players enter the MF game, Pentax could blow them if they produced a 67 for let's say 10k. They could even consider going mirrorless with it since the old 67 system is long gone. I wonder if Pros would appreciate such an adding format-wsie.
10-19-2019, 03:51 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
The old Tokiwadai building can be seen here: Google Maps

I used to live a ten minute walk away from it. I used to visit fairly often. There used to be another building across the street, but it's now a massive apartment complex.

The old Pentax museum was closed by Hoya. They gave away most of the stuff inside to JCII Camera Museum

The Pentax Forum in Shinjuku is still around, but called Ricoh Square. It was recently renovated and still going strong. I was there yesterday and picked up a little something I needed.
You’re very lucky to live next door to Pentax.
10-19-2019, 04:35 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Just yesterday I realized that this years it's not only 100 years of Asahi Pentax, it was 50 years ago that Pentax introduced the 67. I way always under (wrong) impression that K-mount was the first bayonet type mount of Pentax but it was 67. I dont even know if there are 6x7 sensors out there but it would be a nice surprise if Pentax would come out with a digital 67. Now, since 645 has come down considerably in price and new players enter the MF game, Pentax could blow them if they produced a 67 for let's say 10k. They could even consider going mirrorless with it since the old 67 system is long gone. I wonder if Pros would appreciate such an adding format-wsie.

Big sensors do exist. They are used in medical imaging and other special applications. However, they are very, very expensive, and producing a 67 for 10k is not feasible at the moment. But who knows, maybe some day !
File sizes and image processing would also be an issue.