Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 07:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is my k200d dead ?

I needed to use my old k200d this part week-end (forgot my k5 at some friend's place!).

I put in some fresh Energizer batteries, it worked as expected.

Sometimes after the batteries went dead and I needed to continue shooting, so i dropped in some cheap AA batteries from a convenience store.

The camera did not start but the batteries indicator showed full, but there was nothing else displayed, the motor for the lens was working (40mm ltd), the shutter seemed to be working. but nothing else.

After a while, the camera started to really over-heat. I removed the batteries.
Later on, I tried again with Energizer batteries with the same bad results.

Is it a sign that the camera is dead ?
That would sucks, because it is a good backup camera.

Thanks.

08-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boy, sure sounds like one of those cheap AA's zapped your K200D. Any chance you can put a meter to them to verify voltage?
08-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Leave it over night without batteries and try with new lithium energizers, also with external power if available. Looks like system hangs.
08-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
KDD
Veteran Member

Same my k10d dead and no good. Bye K10d.

08-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #5

Overheating with electronics is never a good sign. Most likely it is dead. Belcik's suggestion is a good as any. I'd leave the batteries out for longer, say 48-72 hours.
08-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thesorus Quote
The camera did not start but the batteries indicator showed full, but there was nothing else displayed, the motor for the lens was working (40mm ltd), the shutter seemed to be working. but nothing else.
This clearly indicates the system hung during the initializing process.

This can be caused by
  • a faulty bit in the ROM code
  • a component's answer does not fit to the answers allowed by the programmers, and the answer (or lack of) was not captured by a fault message or time catch.
The more likely 2nd possibility can be caused by:
  • battery problems (one or more cells low, or bad contact)
  • communication problems with an attached lens.
  • problems in initializing the SD card interface
  • contact problem of the micro switch controlling the SD card door (falsely signalling the door is open)
  • a button hanging
  • The mode wheel not fully engaged at a valid position
  • other internal hardware problems, as screw drive, sensor (dust removal at start-up), and many others.
Clean all contacts of the batteries, the battery compartment, and the lens mount.

Remove the SD card, clean the contacts, and put it in again. If possible, also try another card.

The advice by Belcik (post #3) is never wrong. And if, after following his advice, you are able to get to the menue, make a full reset. You will have to re-do all your personal settings, but if the camera stays dead, this would not matter anyway.

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-28-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Typing
08-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote

This can be caused by
  • a component's answer does not fit to the answers allowed by the programmers, and the answer (or lack of) was not captured by a fault message or time catch.
  • contact problem of the micro switch controlling the SD card door (falsely signalling the door is open)
  • a button hanging
  • other internal hardware problems, as screw drive, sensor (dust removal at start-up), and many others.
Clean all contacts of the batteries, the battery compartment, and the lens mount.

Remove the SD card, clean the contacts, and put it in again. If possible, also try another card.

The advice by Belcik (post #3) is never wrong. And if, after following his advice, you are able to get to the menue, make a full reset. You will have to re-do all your personal settings, but if the camera stays dead, this would not matter anyway.
Very helpful response!

08-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote

This can be caused by
  • a button hanging

Thanks RKKS08!

I will see how I can check all of the contacts, if I can't i will go to my local store and have them have a looksie.

Hopefully it is just that.