Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2018, 01:48 AM   #1

An APS-C kit for landscape photography ?

Hello everyone,

I just registered on this forum which particularly captivated me. I would like someone to help me answer my question.
I am using full frame cameras but a friend with fewer means needs recommandations on camera and lenses to do landscapes. I am not particularily aware of what is good ion the APS-C side now. I hear the 80D is good. But what about lenses to cover a full frame range from 16mm to 200mm?

Related Information: https://thedigitalcamera.net/best-aps-c-camera-canon-nikon-sony-dslr/

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by tommod; 09-05-2018 at 08:20 PM.
08-29-2018, 02:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. This being PentaxForums you may not get too much advice regarding lenses for an 80D. But you never know!
08-29-2018, 02:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

APS-C for landscape, probably the best option on the market would be the Pentax K-3 II. Obviously this is a Pentax forum, but I think it's the only APS-C camera which, due to the pixel-shift which would often be suitable for landscape, would approach FF in terms of resolution and dynamic range. It's also weather resistant which is a plus for landscape.

Canons in particular would be a poor option for landscape due the lower dynamic range of their sensors, though I understand the newer ones are not as bad as they used to be.

As for lenses, well that's a whole other discussion and there are many options available.
08-29-2018, 02:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
APS-C is going to struggle with getting the ultra wide angle of view. If that is what you do a lot of, then sticking with full frame or larger may be the best option.
For Pentax, I think the closest would be the 10mm, but it is not rectilinear so you'll have to adjust for fish-eye and/or crop back to square.
There are some third party options but I am not aware of any that are still for sale. (even if you trust flea-Bay they are difficult to find). Maybe someone else has a lead on good ultra-wide lenses.

For the most part, Pentax's small lens lineup is fine and covers the range pretty well.... but it does fall short in some aspects and I would not be a fan boy and suggest Pentax to this person.
I have little issue with it, but if your friend has a strong love for 16MM on FF, another brand would be the way to go.

If not doing photography professionally or in some niche where super high speed shooting or super low light is critical; nearly any camera from any brand will do.
Although I know nothing about it, I would expect the 80D should be fine. Putting a good lens on it will be important.

08-29-2018, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I've not heard of the Pentax 80D. What is 80D ?
08-29-2018, 03:05 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the 14mm and the KP for a start, maybe the 21 too
08-29-2018, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't comment on Cannon cameras and lens selection because i do not know them.

However, for Pentax I would suggest the KP and the Pentax 12-24 to start. If you need a little wider, Sigma makes an 8-16 mm zoom. You didn't emotion which you prefer: zooms or primes. Either way you could find a lot of good glass in the Pentax eco system and some of it will be weather sealed (mostly the zooms, but there are a few primes as well).

08-29-2018, 03:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A gently used K-3, DA 15, DA 21, DA 40. Or perhaps a DA 12-24.
08-29-2018, 03:56 AM   #9

Pentax K-3, K-3ii, KP with Sigma 10-20 EX (either the 3.5 or the 4-5.6); or Pentax DA 12-24. Check the Pentaxforum Marketplace.
08-29-2018, 03:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Cannon
nice touch
08-29-2018, 03:59 AM   #11

I would consider either Pentax KP or Fujifilm X-T2 for APS-C body. They offer 24MP and a tilting screen. While both are weather-sealed in the specs sheet, I believe that KP is better than X-T2 in this aspect. Further, KP comes with in-body image stabilization with pixel shift, which is beneficial for landscape as well as still life.

For the lens, I would recommend getting started with 18-135mm zoom, which is equivalent to 28-200mm on the full-frame sensor. Both Pentax and Fujifilm offer 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 WR.

For an ultra-wide angle lens, I recommend 12-24mm F4 for Pentax. Only Fuji, however, offers 10-24mm F4 zoom lens, which is roughly equivalent to 16-35mm on the full-frame sensor. None of these two lenses is weather-sealed.

To decide between these two, I highly recommend your friend to try them out and feel the ergonomics of the cameras.
08-29-2018, 04:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
APS-C is going to struggle with getting the ultra wide angle of view. If that is what you do a lot of, then sticking with full frame or larger may be the best option.
For Pentax, I think the closest would be the 10mm, but it is not rectilinear so you'll have to adjust for fish-eye and/or crop back to square.
There are some third party options but I am not aware of any that are still for sale. (even if you trust flea-Bay they are difficult to find). Maybe someone else has a lead on good ultra-wide lenses.

For the most part, Pentax's small lens lineup is fine and covers the range pretty well.... but it does fall short in some aspects and I would not be a fan boy and suggest Pentax to this person.
I have little issue with it, but if your friend has a strong love for 16MM on FF, another brand would be the way to go.

If not doing photography professionally or in some niche where super high speed shooting or super low light is critical; nearly any camera from any brand will do.
Although I know nothing about it, I would expect the 80D should be fine. Putting a good lens on it will be important.
I think the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 is still available new, so should be the Tamron 12-24mm (granted not 10mm and both lenses are a little dated now), but the Samyang 10mm would also be a possibility, if that wide really should be needed for Pentax.

As for the original question I fortunately/unfortunately have no clue what to buy for Canon APS-C.
08-29-2018, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I have the DA 15mm as my widest lens....I've been happy. Of course, I suppose it all depends on how wide one wants, or needs, to go.....

go luck.
08-29-2018, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tommod Quote
Hello everyone,

I just registered on this forum which particularly captivated me. I would like someone to help me answer my question.
I am using full frame cameras but a friend with fewer means needs recommandations on camera and lenses to do landscapes. I am not particularily aware of what is good ion the APS-C side now. I hear the 80D is good. But what about lenses to cover a full frame range from 16mm to 200mm?

Thanks for the help.
Can’t speak for Canon or Nikon. But if it were me I would look for a used K-3 or K-3 II. As for lenses the da 12-24 would be good for landscapes but the da 16-85 would also do a very good job and is more versatile offering better value for your money. For even better value consider the da 18-135.

There is one thing I can say about Canon and Nikon. Pentax in my opinion is a better value proposition than Canon or Nikon.
08-29-2018, 04:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've used the sigma 10-20 on both canon and pentax, it's a decent lens, I'm more fond of it for video though, i don't tend to go quite that wide for landscape.