Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What successor for my hold K-x ?

Hi,
It's time to change my K-x.
Witch camera to replace it ?
For me the K-p has a too little autonomy.
The K-3ii is hold, but it can make the job.
The k-1 can be the solution, I don't need pop-up flash.
I often photograph landscapes, boats, work sites photos for the job.
Alls my lens can work in full frame.
I'm not hurry, I can wait pentax annoncement at Photokina.

If you have any adcive.

08-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you can get the K1 then get the K1. It will outclass the Kx in every way, but then again so will the K3 and KP.
08-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Either one you get will be a huge leap in pretty much everything (especially the IQ)
08-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You could even upgrade to a K5 and see a big leap in performance. Just buy whatever suits your needs best.

08-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have pointed out, any current camera will blow your K-x out of the water. The K-70 would be the best value, to that end. Of course, if you can afford the K-1 then it will deliver the best image quality currently available.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Le Fanfoué Quote
Could you explain it, please? As far as I know KP does not differ much from other cameras in terms of full manual of semiautomatic control. BTW: K-1, albeit large and heavy is lovely camera.
08-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #7

The KP would be an excellent choice, even a K-50 or K-30 would be a nice upgrade.

08-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you have any adcive.
Wait if you're not in a hurry. Then you can make your choice.
08-31-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A K70 would be great
08-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

I think by saying that the KP has too little autonomy you mean you want the simplest camera to use. In that case, the K70 is the natural successor to the KX and would be your best choice. I upgraded from KX to K70 and there is a huge improvement in every area.
08-31-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

...I often photograph landscapes, boats, work sites photos for the job...
Those subjects aren't especially demanding for autofocus and bursts, so you probably don't gain much waiting for the K-3 replacement.

Budget choice is K-70. Leaps above your old Kx in all aspects: better image quality, autofocus, low light, weather sealing, etc.

For maximum image quality, K-1. Much more expensive and heavier to carry than K-70.
08-31-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Lab

I went from a kx to a K30 and for the size of the pics I take it was a good upgrade. Sure you can pick a used on reasonably priced
08-31-2018, 09:30 PM   #13

If you care at all about size and weight, be prepared for a shock when you see how much bigger and heavier the newer Pentaxes are compared to your K-x. The only newer Pentax dSLR that is in the same size/weight class as your K-x is the KS1. For example, my K-3 body weighs 800g compared to my K-x at 580g. That's almost half of a pound of extra weight.

Put another way, my K-3 and one DA Limited prime lens weighs almost as much as my K-x and three DA Limited primes.

And the K-1 body weighs 1010g or almost a pound more than your K-x.

If you are working out of a car it may not matter, but if if you have to carry it all day, the extra weight is something to consider.
08-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I upgraded from a K-r to K-1 because I thought the full frame would be better for low light and I’d say it was a good choice. The dynamic range was a lot better than I expected which would be a plus for landscapes. Also felt the price for what’s it capable of was very good.
08-31-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
It's time to change my K-x.
Witch camera to replace it ?
The K-3ii is hold, but it can make the job.
The k-1 can be the solution, I don't need pop-up flash.
I often photograph landscapes, boats, work sites photos for the job.
Alls my lens can work in full frame.

If you have any adcive.
Having a lot of autonomy means not depending on anything else or being your own boss. Having little autonomy means to be under the control of others, or to depend on or to lean on many other people or on other things for support.

The KP is not at all like a K-x. Like the K-3II, it does not have "Scene" modes, and does have much better controls. The KP and the K-70 are much better for low lighting and higher ISO use. They and the K-3 II also have a much better viewfinder, and have weather seals against rain if you use a lens that also has weather seals. The K-3 II is also a fine camera, but does not have a pull-out screen and its higher ISO, low light performance is not as good as the KP or K-70.