Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 01:06 AM   #1

Upgrading: K3 or?

Hello Pentaxians! So I've been using my trusty K50 for a few years but am feeling like I really need an upgrade for more megapixels and especially for better low light performance.

I've had my heart set on the K1 for awhile but it's not in the budget just yet (but I really want to go FF so will in a year or two).

I mainly do documentary photography with a lot of outdoorsy environmental portraits. Would it be better for me to a) get a K3 or K3ii b) KP or c) just keep saving for the K1? Will a K3 (or KP?) be enough of an upgrade from a K50 to be worth it? TIA for the advice -- I'm in a lot of photography groups but no one shoots Pentax

Examples of my work to give an idea of my requirements. I mainly use the FA 50mm 1.4 and 35mm 2.0 for lenses.
Ashley McMath (@ashleytheislander) ? Instagram photos and videos

09-02-2018, 01:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K50 is still a very good camera. But yes, the K3, K3ii or KP would be an upgrade. Which one would depend on your budget and camera requirements. Built in flash or GPS are just a couple of differences to consider. The forum has a great comparison tool and be sure to check the in depth reviews.

Having said that, the K-1 is an amazing camera, but it does have a slightly larger form factor to consider. Plus, are you ready to spend money for full frame lenses?
09-02-2018, 01:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The K50 is still a very good camera. But yes, the K3, K3ii or KP would be an upgrade. Which one would depend on your budget and camera requirements. Built in flash or GPS are just a couple of differences to consider. The forum has a great comparison tool and be sure to check the in depth reviews.

Having said that, the K-1 is an amazing camera, but it does have a slightly larger form factor to consider. Plus, are you ready to spend money for full frame lenses?
I will check out the comparisons. I don't really need many features. I'm just as happy shooting film with my K1000 low light capability is the main thing I guess and my K50 is not cutting it sadly. I hear the KP is good for that. I do like the K3 for having dual card slots though. I don't need a pop up flash but do need a hotshoe.

I was under the impression that I could use many of my same lenses with the K1? The FA lenses I have should be somewhat compatible? I also shoot with some vintage lenses.
09-02-2018, 01:59 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AshleytheIslander Quote
I really need an upgrade for more megapixels and especially for better low light performance.
I mainly do documentary photography with a lot of outdoorsy environmental portraits.
Based on your requirements, I would recommend KP among those 3 choices. I think KP suits your need the most, even better than K-1. Let me share my thoughts:
- KP is good in low light. I think it is better than K-3 in this aspect.
- K-1 is also great in low light, but it may require you to purchase new lenses.
- 7 fps with KP is probably better than 4.4 fps with K-1 to capture fast pacing moments in your documentary or environmental portraits.
- K-1 with full-frame lenses is going to increase the weight.
- I believe that a tilting screen will come in handy for your documentary work.

A few questions that you may ask yourself before making the decision:
- Do you need Wi-Fi?
- Will a tilting screen benefit you?
- Do you need two card slots?
- Do you use infrared remote?
- Are you ready to invest in full-frame lenses?

09-02-2018, 01:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will check out the comparisons. I don't really need many features. I'm just as happy shooting film with my K1000 low light capability is the main thing I guess and my K50 is not cutting it sadly. I hear the KP is good for that. I do like the K3 for having dual card slots though. I don't need a pop up flash but do need a hotshoe.

I was under the impression that I could use many of my same lenses with the K1? The FA lenses I have should be somewhat compatible? I also shoot with some vintage lenses.
Yes, the FA and vintage lenses are compatible with the K-1. The main reason I have one.

The KP could be considered the best in low light performance. As far as dual slots; I actually only find them useful when I’m shooting a paid job. I did a lot of professional work with the K10 to the K5 with only one card slot, and when I shoot just for me, I really don’t need the second. But everyone’s needs are different.

I wouldn’t say I found the K3 low light performance to be that much better than the K5 series sensor, but there are other aspects of the camera I really like more, such as color renditions and auto focus performance.
09-02-2018, 02:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The K-70 would be another option. You would get the sensor upgrade. It is virtually as good as the KP, but not the AF upgrade (though it probably is faster than the K-50 but AF-C won't be as good in the K-3 or KP) But for those lenses the K-1 is the ideal camera. A big jump in megapixels though, so make sure your computer hardware is up to it.
09-02-2018, 03:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I wouldn’t say I found the K3 low light performance to be that much better than the K5 series sensor, but there are other aspects of the camera I really like more, such as color renditions and auto focus performance.
sums it up perfectly for me..
Don't underestimate the handling differences as well.

Examples of my work to give an idea of my requirements. I mainly use the FA 50mm 1.4 and 35mm 2.0 for lenses.
Nice series!
I think the fa35 & 50 in combo with k1 would be perfect for your kind of shooting.
Personally, in your shoes, I'd save up a bit longer for the K1. Apsc might only be an upgrade for you if the next iteration of the K3 comes along with some imaging capabilities of the KP. In a way, apsc is ofcourse good enough to make splendid images. But when there is a sucessor to k3, price will be pretty steep as well for a while.
In the short run probably the kp would be better option.
In longer run sucessor k3 or K1.

Well, you mentioned you want to go FF anyhow in due time
Hec, i have a k3 but still enjoy making pictures with my Kr.. meaning, it"s not like you cannot afford some more time to wait & see..

Last edited by grispie; 09-02-2018 at 03:22 AM. Reason: comment
09-02-2018, 03:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took a peek at your Insta feeds and came away pretty impressed with your almost effortless-looking yet so assured lifestyle and portrait photography, Ashley.

KP, K-3, K-3 II - all of these would be worthy APS-C upgrades for your preferred kinds of photography, I'd say, not just IQ- and performance-wise but also in build quality (the main reason I don't include the perfectly capable K-70). Or you wait for the K-3 II successor that seems to be in the works.

Before you opt for the KP, which should be the best crop body for low light, I'd suggest you do a real hands-on with it to see if you like the ergonomics, which is a departure from the fits-like-a-glove form factor of the K-7/K-5/K-3 series.

Then, truly wonderful as the FF K-1/ K-1 II may be, listen to your photographic soul and find out if you really want to walk around with fairly big honking lenses and possibly lose some of that lightness and spontaneity that seems to inform your photography. Also, depending on how important large printing or seriously high-res output is for you, consider how badly you actually need those 36MP. This is not to scare you off from jumping on full frame, but it may be worth a thought.

For what IQ already a 24MP K-3 can give you under various conditions, shot exclusively with DA glass, and with a little post production in DxO PhotoLab, feel free to check out my website linked-to in the signature.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 09-02-2018 at 04:13 AM.
09-02-2018, 04:03 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember that you can use the Pentax lenses on any Pentax camera body with some limitations

take a look at these charts, they might help you out

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

this link gives info from the " In Depth Review " of the K 1 gives you info about what lenses give you full frame vs. crop when used on the camera

Pentax K-1 Review
Available Lenses
The Pentax K-1 is compatible with every Pentax K-mount lens ever made without the need for an adapter, and with little or no restrictions in terms of functionality: this includes over 204 genuine full-frame lenses in addition to thousands of third-party offerings. Furthermore, you can adapt M42, M37, 645, and 6x7 lenses. Refer to our lens compatibility guide for further details, or seek advice in the lens forum.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Available Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and here is more help as well

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide
Everything you need to know about lenses for the K-1
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Feb 20, 2016

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
09-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would wait until photokina. Pentax is expected to make an announcement. It could be several things but the K-3 II successor has not been introduced yet and many are hoping it will be this month.

Regarding the KP many people have complained about the feel of the grip. I would not buy it unless you are able to handle it first. Because if you do not like the way it feels in your hands what good is it. Also regarding the K-1 you can purchase one new for about $1700 (mk I) $1900 (mk II) or used for $1300. The KP is going to cost $900 from B&H. Adorama also lists the K-3 II as still available for $830.

There is another option that I have not seen mentioned and that is the K-70 which is available for less than $600 from Adorama. Also it’s performance is very near the KP for $300 less. This I think would be your best option as it leaves money left in the K-1 savings and gets you the things you want such as low light..
09-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I would wait until photokina. Pentax is expected to make an announcement. It could be several things but the K-3 II successor has not been introduced yet and many are hoping it will be this month.
This is just what I was thinking. Hang on a little bit and see what comes about later this month.

I'd also say to think hard about full frame versus APS-C. I really love my K-1, but I often grab my K3 II because of weight. I can put my K3 II, 16-50 and 55-300PLM into a small holster type shoulder bag that's a fraction of the size and weight required to carry my K-1, 24-70 and 150-450 to have the same range of equivalent field of view.
09-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hello Pentaxians! So I've been using my trusty K50 for a few years but am feeling like I really need an upgrade for more megapixels and especially for better low light performance.

I've had my heart set on the K1 for awhile but it's not in the budget just yet (but I really want to go FF so will in a year or two).

I mainly do documentary photography with a lot of outdoorsy environmental portraits. Would it be better for me to a) get a K3 or K3ii b) KP or c) just keep saving for the K1? Will a K3 (or KP?) be enough of an upgrade from a K50 to be worth it? TIA for the advice -- I'm in a lot of photography groups but no one shoots Pentax

If I were in your shoes I will go for K-3... The camera can be had for around 500-600CAD easily and then save the money for the K-1. Also after you get K-3, sell K-50 and this even will push price of the K-3 more down. Invest the rest of the money in full frame lenses and start saving for K-1. That will be my 2c.

I use K-3 and will start soon to save for K-1 or maybe new FF camera from Pentax. I never had regrets buying K-3 and really like what camera had to offer at time of purchase. Also if you buy batteries for K-3 they will fit in K-1 later...
09-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
Upgrade

I own a K50 , K3, Kp and K1 any of the options are great up grades from the K50. The K3 is a very dependable camera which I love the Kp is a smaller form factor with wonderful ISO and of course the K1 is a workhorse of a camera.

The Kp I like when I want a light small camera but at home I leave a 30mm Sigma 1.4 on it a great combo for low light.

The K1 has a bit of heft to it and when mated with a 24-70 it is a big heavy but very capable combination.

When I bought the K1 I had researched that half of my lenses were full frame so for me it was an easy decision to buy it. Sadly many of the full frame Sigma lenses which I have are no longer available in K mount .

Whatever way you go K3, KP ot K1 it will be a great upgrade from the K50
09-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #14

Keep in mind that lenses have a wider field of view on full frame. The FA 50 on a K-1 will have about the same field of view as the FA 35 does on the K-50, and the FA 35 will be wider on the K-1 (roughly the same as a 24mm lens on the K-50). To replicate the field of view of the FA 50/K-50 combination on the K-1 would require a roughly 75mm lens. So although your FA lenses will work fine, they will render differently, and you may want to acquire more lenses to get the same effect. I hear the FA 77 Limited is VERY nice, and would match that field of view. The DA 70 Limited is a bit cheaper, but is not quite full frame, especially at wider apertures (corner shading, and maybe some corner softness). There are also the D-FA standard zooms.
09-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Low light requirements = K-70, or K-P.

Add to the cost of a DFA 28-105 to the cost of your K-1. It's sort of the minimum. You can d fine with less of course.