Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2018, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Pentax has really irritated me on the long delay and keeping us hostage on the flagship replacement. The most recent Apsc release being the KP and everyone is waiting......and waiting.....and waiting...….and waiting.
Waiting - for what?

What does the K-3ii lack that you expect the replacement to have?

09-08-2018, 06:38 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought there was a whole section of the forum for that topic

Product Suggestions and Feedback - PentaxForums.com

but if I was going to list something here I would go simple

a way to have a split image focus screen added to my K 3 and K 3 II

I understand that way back when for some models of the Pentax system there was a third party who produced such a thing but I don't think it has been done for the K 3 or K 3 II

has it ?
09-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I thought there was a whole section of the forum for that topic

Product Suggestions and Feedback - PentaxForums.com

but if I was going to list something here I would go simple

I understand that way back when for some models of the Pentax system there was a third party who produced such a thing but I don't think it has been done for the K 3 or K 3 II

has it ?
My point is that the K-3ii is a fine camera. Most people waiting already have a K-3, and aren't waiting for some particular improvement that they really need - this isn't like a time when they were hoping against hope for AF, or to go from 8mp to 16mp, or some other improvement like that. What they have will work just fine until Pentax is able to roll the next one out the door.
09-08-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Waiting - for what?

What does the K-3ii lack that you expect the replacement to have?
For one....a simple articulating screen or even a semi-articulating screen would be nice for starters in a Flagship Apsc model amongst other things. That really is my only Gripe with the K-3II.
For me that IS something that I really need.

09-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

My point is that the K-3ii is a fine camera. Most people waiting already have a K-3, and aren't waiting for some particular improvement that they really need - this isn't like a time when they were hoping against hope for AF, or to go from 8mp to 16mp, or some other improvement like that. What they have will work just fine until Pentax is able to roll the next one out the door.
agree with you 100 %

and although I will look at any " improved " model, I am not committing to spend $ on it
09-08-2018, 07:03 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
For one....a simple articulating screen or even a semi-articulating screen would be nice for starters in a Flagship Apsc model amongst other things. That really is my only Gripe with the K-3II.
For me that IS something that I really need.
So a flippy screen is "holding you hostage" {words from post I was responding to} - in other words, immobilizing you?? You just can't function without it?? Then purchase some other camera {K-70, KP, K-1 or even non-Pentax}
09-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

agree with you 100 %

and although I will look at any " improved " model, I am not committing to spend $ on it
The point here being a guy is wanting a camera that isn't being offered and is being phased out with no current model to replace it. The frustration comes from seeing nice features in the KP , and wanting all that and more in a Flagship that is a solid year late being released. That's why I say that Im frustrated , even though I DO really like my KP's anyway.
Being a Pentaxian isn't very satisfying at times like this.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 07:20 ----------

So a flippy screen is "holding you hostage" {words from post I was responding to} - in other words, immobilizing you?? You just can't function without it?? Then purchase some other camera {K-70, KP, K-1 or even non-Pentax}
Not at all. Wanting all the K-3II had with the recent features of the KP left me NO new choices other than the KP or the K-1 which I already have.
I just got tired of using a bulky 7" Field monitor for much of my shooting style/needs with the K-3II , so I sold it and bought 2 KP's.

Im looking forward the what the new Apsc Flagship has to offer , and its sad that it has not yet materialized in spite of the K-3II being phased out.
Im now quite deeply vested with the KP's , so even when it does come out I will be a very late adopter at best.
And THAT is what has irritated me with Pentax at the moment.

09-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

everyone has their own " frustration " level

everyone has their own " wish " list

that is ok and is just life IMHO, YMMV

to me the advantage of the " Pentax System " is the ability, should you chose to use it, to use very good " old glass " with your camera bodies

which has helped me to save $

[ even though I have not taken advantage of that as much as others }
09-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

has it ?
The K-3 and K-3ii use the same replaceable focus screen as the K-7/5/5ii/5iis/30/50/500/S1/S2/70 and KP. While KatzEye has gone out of business, there are other sources for split image screens.
09-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The K-3 and K-3ii use the same replaceable focus screen as the K-7/5/5ii/5iis/30/50/500/S1/S2/70 and KP. While KatzEye has gone out of business, there are other sources for split image screens.
can you please post a link to such sources because I have been unable to find them
09-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #26
Pentaxian

May K-3 still has 80,000 clicks on it before it dies, and it's workload is seriously diminished since I got the K-1.

it would be quite interesting to find out how many shutter actuations those who are interested in new gear have on theirs.

I feel technology in cameras has reached the point where, like cars, the cheapest and best option is "buy new, drive it until it can't be repaired."

People have no commitment to their purchasing decisions. It's like "I'm going to buy this and if I make abad decision, I'll just buy something else." What happened to "buy the best you can, most suited to what you do, then live with it until it stops working. When you bought a K-3 you paid for 200,000 images. Did you use them?

Last edited by normhead; 09-08-2018 at 07:56 AM.
09-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
May K-3 still has 80,000 clicks on it before it dies, and it's workload is seriously diminished since I got the K-1.

it would be quite interesting to find out how many shutter actuations those who are interested in new gear have on theirs.

I feel technology in Camera has reached the point where, like cars, the cheapest and best option is "buy new, drive it until it can't be repaired."

People have no commitment to their purchasing decisions. It's like "I'm going to buy this and if I make abad decision, I'll just buy something else." What happened to "buy the best you can, most suited to what you do, then live with it until it stops working. When you bought a K-3 you paid for 200,000 images. Did you use them?
One had about 79K when I sold it , the other had less than 3.5K when I sold it (kinda regret it now) and was still essentially new.
09-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am interested to see what the K-3ii replacement brings, but I very much doubt that I would rush right out and buy one.

I have 2 K-3iis, and they have contributed to a big improvement in my photography. The KP had been introduced before I bought the second K-3ii, and I did like the flippy screen. I had, however become used to the longer battery life and the 2 card slots, but more importantly the general handling of the camera and placement of the controls. If I'm desperate for a tilting screen for some particular purpose I can borrow my wife's Nikon bridge camera although I hate it's menus and electronic viewfinder. The only thing I find occasionally annoying with the K-3ii is that it is too easy for the 4-way controller to bump against your body and change settings without your knowledge. That sort of thing would be my concern with a rear touch screen.

I'm sure the K-3ii replacement will come in at a higher price, and I would wait a year or two until the price softened. I would like a FF camera but I have always preferred to carry 2 cameras on photographic walks, and I think that at my age I would find the weight a problem. In any case the APSC format produces good enough results for me.

Having on occasion bought into the product of a business that succeeded in failing, I am more concerned to see Pentax continue and flourish in its chosen niche.
09-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I feel technology in Camera has reached the point where, like cars, the cheapest and best option is "buy new, drive it until it can't be repaired."

The other issue is that users have become accustomed to a certain pace of innovation .... but that is slowed now. If Pentax makes minor updates people complain "face lift"; if Pentax spaces updates further apart, people complain they're "off schedule".

I would laugh if the next update is a new body - a MILC body - because I'm not sure the technology will support many other major changes right now - - maybe they'll surprise me.
09-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The K-3/K-3II use the same focus screen as other APS-C flagship models since the K-7 and all APS-C models since the debut of the K-30. Aftermarket focus screens are available from focusingscreen.com, the most reputable vendor at present.

Steve

(...has a Katz Eye screen in the K-3...too bad they quit business...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-08-2018 at 10:30 AM.