Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
everyone has their own " frustration " level

everyone has their own " wish " list

that is ok and is just life IMHO, YMMV

to me the advantage of the " Pentax System " is the ability, should you chose to use it, to use very good " old glass " with your camera bodies

which has helped me to save $

[ even though I have not taken advantage of that as much as others }
Exactly Right. If it weren't for Vintage glass... I wouldn't be a Pentaxian
Just don't buy any DFA Glass or you might start second guessing our "Vintage Religion"......lol

09-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
The point here being a guy is wanting a camera that isn't being offered and is being phased out with no current model to replace it. The frustration comes from seeing nice features in the KP , and wanting all that and more in a Flagship that is a solid year late being released. That's why I say that Im frustrated , even though I DO really like my KP's anyway.
Being a Pentaxian isn't very satisfying at times like this.
So even though you are not in the market, you are frustrated in sympathy for those that are? If my K-3 were to die today in a horrible accident, I would immediately order a K-3II from residual stock at Adorama over the KP. No questions and not agonizing over what features MIGHT be in an upcoming model. Simply put, the KP, despite the nice rear LCD, does not meet my needs. In theory, I should be losing sleep about there not being a backup option should that horrible accident occur, but I am not that sort.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-08-2018 at 08:10 AM.
09-08-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So even though you are not in the market, you are frustrated in sympathy for those that are?

Steve
Im no longer in the market as I paid the KP ransom.....lol
Empathy , at best , is probably a better descriptive word for my feelings on the matter.
09-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #34
Pentaxian

So even though you are not in the market, you are frustrated in sympathy for those that are? If my K-3 were to die today in a horrible accident, I would immediately order a K-3II from residual stock at Adorama over the KP. No questions and not agonizing over what features MIGHT be in an upcoming model. Simply put, the KP, despite the nice rear LCD, does not meet my needs. In theory, I should be losing sleep about there not being a backup option should that horrible accident occur, but I am not that sort.
The main issue I see is that Pentax seems to be cutting the supply very close - if they don't act soon, there will be no supply of new "flagship APS" anywhere - by them, that is. I'm having a hard time explaining that one, but I won't say anymore, because the Giveway ended eight days ago, so there is no excuse for provoking yet another surge of response.

09-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3/K-3II use the same focus screen as other APS-C flagship models since the K-7 and all APS-C models since the debut of the K-30. Aftermarket focus screens are available from focusingscreen.com, the most reputable vendor at present.

Steve

(...has a Katz Eye screen in the K-3...too bad they went quit business...)
thank you
09-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Exactly Right. If it weren't for Vintage glass... I wouldn't be a Pentaxian
Just don't buy any DFA Glass or you might start second guessing our "Vintage Religion"......lol
too late

SMC Pentax-D FA 100 F2.8 Macro
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW

09-08-2018, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #37

Photos: Gallery
Lots of good advice already and nobody asked for mine, so here it is: What does your friend want to use it for and how often? Snapshots with a walk-around lens for viewing on computer screen lead to one decision. Taking up event photography as a paid gig using big and/or fast glass gives another. So, having had that discussion and the answer being that they want a K-3 or equivalent sensor and to use the universe of manual and auto glass available for K mount (why, yes, that IS a good choice!); buy a camera and use it.

There is always something "better" on the horizon and even when that comes out, the horizon stretches on with promise of "better" yet to come. So jump in and use what works best to meet the need now. I bought a K-50 3 years ago and really liked it - the options, ergonomics etc. Used kit glass and a cheap Sigma 28-80 w/ macro. Lots of snapshots and took 2000 pics of farmers, restaurants, food and such for the wife's book on farm-to-table. Loved, loved, loved it. Then did a wedding and had to up my gear and game. Borrowed a K-3 and bought some new (to me at least) lenses (dreamy stuff that worked REALLY well). Using both cameras side-by-side was fun and here is my take-away:

24MP sensor gives more room to crop.

The K-3 has all the menu and button options of K-50 with MORE. It does go to 11.

Dual memory card slots on K-3 gives instant backup for safety. Or can be sequential, different formats, etc. I am testing a FLU card with JPG setting in one slot to shoot "tethered" with a big card in primary to capture RAW. But - options!!!

Good viewfinders on a DSLR are the reason I went that route vs mirrorless because I can't see the LCD in bright sun or while wearing sunglasses. Sometimes hard to see what is going on with all the settings in the viewfinder though. Top screen on K-3 (K-5 and others - ???) is visible even in bright light and gives key info for adjusting. Can use a Hoodman Loupe on LCD to help setup or chimp/review shots but I still rely on viewfinder for shooting and can't keep the Hoodman attached all the time.

Better ISO range and performance for pushing the limits when that is what has to be done.

Faster shutter speed - would not have thought that would be important but when shooting in bright sun with HSS, ISO 100 and f1.4, the only place to go is faster shutter to control ambient light. Other ways to deal with that but since I am listing rationalizations reasons...

Bottom line for me was boxing up my beloved K-50 and sending it off to someone who is hopefully happy to have that as their upgrade camera. Bought a gently used K-3ii to go with my new glass and am happy with my upgrade camera. Still getting the feel for the different button/dial/menu layout but like the shots I have so far. And GPS (tracking/tagging - meh, but it is an option), astrotracer (YES, thank you!), improved stabilization, and, did I mention it goes to 11?!?

It may be discontinued (recently) and there may be something "better" coming soon, but I will bet you the feature mix is always a little different from "ideal" and involves trade-offs. I will take the known set included in the K-3 line and enjoy my new glass as I push my skills and creativity through practice and learning from others.

There is always a market for good used gear and I suggest it is better to invest in glass and the body that supports it while keeping an eye on the horizon. Can always sell the body - heck, if it is a K-3 or K-3ii in good shape, I might be interested...

All the best with the process for your friend and I hope they enjoy their new (soon) gear.

Cheers.