Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Are the K-3 ii days counted?

A friend liked my K3 and after some time he is interested in getting one for himself. I usually refer people to B and H or Adorama. After he did some research he comes back to me asking why there not available in BandH anymore, they are also at a close out sale at Adorama. What can I tell him? It's seems to be a good deal. But he also has the means to purchase the newest tech. So, it's not about the money. Eccentric, may I say? Could this be a clue that we will have a new K3 replacement this year? Please comment.

09-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caribe Quote
A friend liked my K3 and after some time he is interested in getting one for himself. I usually refer people to B and H or Adorama. After he did some research he comes back to me asking why there not available in BandH anymore, they are also at a close out sale at Adorama. What can I tell him? It's seems to be a good deal. But he also has the means to purchase the newest tech. So, it's not about the money. Eccentric, may I say? Could this be a clue that we will have a new K3 replacement this year? Please comment.
The best answer available right now is "Pentax has said a replacement is on the way, but they didn't specify when".

There is a long thread on the issue
K3ii replacement - PentaxForums.com
09-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could this be a clue that we will have a new K3 replacement this year? Please comment.
reh321's comment above is the only solid information out there, but I read a comment somewhere that unless the Pentax camera designers have all retired, there should be a new camera available this year, or at least an announcement that a new camera will be available early next year. The last new camera design from Pentax was the KP. even the accelerator chip in the K-1 II is an adaptation of the chip in the K-70, introduced two years ago..
09-05-2018, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #4

What you tell him is that the K3 or K3ll are both quality cameras that he can use to get great pictures. If he already likes your K3 there is no reason to not get one for himself, and perhaps for a good value. Camera gear is not like a computer operating system that becomes obsolete or unsupported. Speaking strictly digital there are many Forum members still using older models like DL, DS,K10,K7,K5 etc.... If it's not about money or the latest "tech" , if its about ergonomics and such, the K3 is a solid choice.If it\s about something else like being an early adopter then a Z7, EOS-R, or a7rlll await...

09-05-2018, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are the K-3 ii days counted?
The K-3II is officially a discontinued product on the Ricoh Japan Web site and has become difficult to find new through normal outlets. As noted above, a replacement is supposed to be coming, though it is not clear when. B&H does not have any K-3II in stock, but Adorama does and at a decent price (body only). If your friend wants one, now is probably the time. Just because the body is discontinued does not mean it is not worth buying for what it is.

Steve
09-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If he cant find it new online, good chances he can find it used here on the forum's marketplace, or on shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=889257&u=523490&m=66875&urllink=keh.com here (Pentax K-3 II Digital SLR Camera Body, Black {24.35 M/P} at KEH Camera Store)
09-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Does your friend have any DSLR experience? If not, a K-3ii will be more than enough camera to learn and to get good photos.

The K-70 is another great choice. Not quite as sturdy or as fast as the K-3ii, but still a well-built camera and less expensive. K-3ii is slightly better for action, K-70 is slightly better for landscapes, but a new photographer won't notice a significant difference either way.

If your friend is a more experienced photographer, then the K-3ii is still a good camera. The only reason not to pick a K-3ii or K-70 is if your friend has niche needs. A dedicated low light photographer is likely better with a K-1 (but the K-1 isn't as good for wildlife). A dedicated pro wildlife photographer, willing to spend $5000+ on one lens, is arguably better with Canon or Nikon. But if your friend knew that much they wouldn't be asking for advice

09-06-2018, 04:47 AM   #8

There is still one K3 II for sale at Amazon.
09-06-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since your friend has the money resource, it would certainly be most wise to wait for the new model. It will have significant advancements over the older model. This year is already coming to its end, so the new model is probably coming within 6 or 8 months.

But it is up to him, and if he wants to get a camera right away, and again since he has the money resource, many of us own two cameras, one for backup and secondary smaller model for times when we need compactness. With that in mind, the K-70 would be a wise choice for the time being. It is very inexpensive, and yet it is a very advanced camera. In some ways definitely more advanced than the K-3II. The deal with the very useful DA 18-135mm is outstanding. It also provides features the K-3II does not, such as the fully articulating swing-out screen and built-in flash. The new K-3III will likely have neither, but instead have a tilt-out screen. If he is a novice, the K-70 is excellent for his getting his feet wet so he will know what to do with the new K-3III when it arrives. He can have a lot of fun for around $800, for which I just looked at B&H to get this price. It is available in black or dark silver 2-tone. This combo is also offered to include a memory card, UV filter, and camera holster bag (my fav for carrying around) at no extra charge. This brings the actual cost of camera and lens to around $700! The lens will also be useful for both cameras, and in this deal costs only around $200! Or even less if considering the extras.

I shoot with my K-5IIs, my KP (mostly), or my little K-S2, which is of similar design to the K-70. I enjoy each for what each brings. My smaller K-S2 is great for certain uses, like social gatherings where if I take it with the compact DA 18-135mm lens I can zoom out and adjust my framing for group shots, or zoom in to nab a candid portrait of an individual.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-06-2018 at 09:08 AM.
09-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-3II's days are numbered and its living for the moment on borrowed time and dusty shelves.
Who knows "when" or "what" comes out to replace it …..however something IS in the works ?
Pentax has really irritated me on the long delay and keeping us hostage on the flagship replacement. The most recent Apsc release being the KP and everyone is waiting......and waiting.....and waiting...….and waiting.

Maybe he should buy the KP for now ? And remember.....the current K-3II is no slouch at all.
09-06-2018, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

For some of us it's not a given we'll buy the new Flagship, For those fo us who went D*ist to K20D to K-5. we missed a few models, but pentax has a track record these days with coming up with "have to have" features when the model designation changes.
09-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Pentax has really irritated me on the long delay and keeping us hostage on the flagship replacement
Are you in the market? If not, why the irritation? If so, the two APs KPs on your signature are a good placeholder.

Steve

(...might be in the market and not feeling irritated at all...went from Canon G2 (2002) to K10D (2007) to K-3 (2014)...less than 30,000 clicks on K-3...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-06-2018 at 01:27 PM.
09-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you in the market? If not, why the irritation? If so, the two APs on your signature are a good placeholder.

Steve

(...might be in the market and not feeling irritated at all...went from Canon G2 (2002) to K10D (2007) to K-3 (2014)...less than 30,000 clicks on K-3...)
Im not now , but I was a couple months ago.
09-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't feel irritated either, not just because I'm not in the market (I think), but because Pentax has a history of being slow in this regard, but very worth the wait. Look how long having a FF model was anticipated, but look how good it is!
09-08-2018, 01:04 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cardinal15 Quote
What you tell him is that the K3 or K3ll are both quality cameras that he can use to get great pictures. If he already likes your K3 there is no reason to not get one for himself, and perhaps for a good value. Camera gear is not like a computer operating system that becomes obsolete or unsupported. Speaking strictly digital there are many Forum members still using older models like DL, DS,K10,K7,K5 etc.... If it's not about money or the latest "tech" , if its about ergonomics and such, the K3 is a solid choice.If it\s about something else like being an early adopter then a Z7, EOS-R, or a7rlll await...
direct him to this thread and show him how to identify the camera and lens used through the EXIF data if the photographer has not included that info

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com

by going through the thread he will see the excellent photos taken with many Pentax cameras, including the K 3 series, the K 5 series and other Pentax camera bodies.

as was said, just because a Pentax camera is no longer in production, it does not mean that such a camera body is obsolete

you can use the " latest and brightest " should you choose to but you do not have to.

the thread listed above is just one example of that statement

Good photography is a combination of knowledge, the ability to use such knowledge and equipment IMHO, YMMV