Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I got some bad news on my K-3 Silver edition. I sent it in to Precision to repair the light metering which stopped working after a rainy soccer match. I wish it had been my black K-3 instead. The quote is for $700.

My struggle is to decide if it is worth fixing (this is a silver body with less than 19000 shutter counts). For an extra $100 I could buy a new black K-3ii (which will work with my battery grip and batteries). Or do I use this as an excuse to upgrade to the K-1?

What would you do?
That's a steep quote. I would base the decision on how attached you are to the limited edition model.

I once had a soft spot for the limited editions, but the depreciation of electronics and the fact that they're produced for just about every flagship model has swayed me away from them. I would personally thus sell the camera as-is and replace it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2018, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #17

Sounds like they are replacing almost all the electronics except the rear LCD. What concerns me is if they can replace the top cover with a silver one.

A tough decision to make. Sometimes when logic or numbers won't help, you have to go with your gut feelings or instincts. One way to do this according to a college professor I had for a problem solving course is to flip a coin and consider how you feel about the result. You should know what choice to make after that.
09-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then again a silver K1 might look really nice
09-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #19
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Then again a silver K1 might look really nice
I'm sure it would look really nice! This may sound like a minor complaint, but the thing that puts me off about the K-1 is the frames per second. I shoot a lot of soccer, swimming, and diving, and having 8 fps is really helpful in getting a keeper.

09-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The next K-3III might be offered in a silver finish! And it should be a significant update, including better higher ISO performance, AF, etc. which could enhance sports photography as well as other interests for you. Seems like wait and see might be the wisest course, especially as you still have one fully functional fine camera.

As an alternative, a silver KP as a compact secondary body to your K-3 style is not a bad idea either, unless you need the 2 card slots at all times. With its optional battery grip it is about the same weight as the K-3 II. I also have the K-5IIs, which is of similar style to the K-3, and I use it and the KP alternately, being used to both control sets. I even switch to the extra-small, lightweight K-S2 when I need its advantages, which has a yet different control layout.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-07-2018 at 11:18 PM.
09-07-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Sounds like precision is just quoting you for an entire board swap rather than an actual repair.
I guarantee your camera is actually fixable, especially if handled by someone who can do low level board repairs. On top of that it'd be much cheaper than what was quoted by precision.

If you don't want to bother with that you could still probably get an ok price selling it fully disclosed on the market. The only bad option is shelling out the 700 dollars to do a "repair"
09-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #22
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's a steep quote. I would base the decision on how attached you are to the limited edition model.

I once had a soft spot for the limited editions, but the depreciation of electronics and the fact that they're produced for just about every flagship model has swayed me away from them. I would personally thus sell the camera as-is and replace it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sounds like they are replacing almost all the electronics except the rear LCD. What concerns me is if they can replace the top cover with a silver one.

A tough decision to make. Sometimes when logic or numbers won't help, you have to go with your gut feelings or instincts. One way to do this according to a college professor I had for a problem solving course is to flip a coin and consider how you feel about the result. You should know what choice to make after that.
Thanks for the advice Adam and Not a Number. Your suggestions are quite logical.

---------- Post added 09-07-18 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Sounds like precision is just quoting you for an entire board swap rather than an actual repair.
I guarantee your camera is actually fixable, especially if handled by someone who can do low level board repairs. On top of that it'd be much cheaper than what was quoted by precision.

If you don't want to bother with that you could still probably get an ok price selling it fully disclosed on the market. The only bad option is shelling out the 700 dollars to do a "repair"
I agree that it seems like they are only interested in replacing the guts rather than a proper repair. It seems to me that going with the licensed repair facility should get you the best options. I would consider other shops if there was a chance they could get any parts that were needed.

09-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #23

I agree that it seems like they are only interested in replacing the guts rather than a proper repair. It seems to me that going with the licensed repair facility should get you the best options. I would consider other shops if there was a chance they could get any parts that were needed.
Sounds like the problem is from water damage from the rainy soccer match shoot. The problem with weather-sealed bodies is that they keep water in as well as out - maybe even better. Another member at one time posted images of moisture damage from condensation. It's not pretty. Other than spending hundreds of hours cleaning and checking the continuity of every trace, connection and solder as well as testing each component the only practical fix is replace. The top plate has flex-boards, dials, LCD, buttons, etc. All vulnerable to corrosion from moisture.

Here's an example of damage from condensation on a circuit board:

By all means get a second opinion. You would have to send it to a Ricoh Authorized Repair center because they are the only ones that can get parts. The only one I know of other than Precision is Advance Camera in Oregon and perhaps KEH Camera in Georgia. Note in some cases both will send the equipment to Precision for repairs they can't handle. And sometimes Precision will send the equipment to Japan for the repair.
09-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Problem is, you can get a brand new K-3II on Amazon for $800. And now at B&H a new silver KP including a kit with holster case and SD card is only $860.
09-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd say get a hand held exposure Meter, Gossen are good, use the camera in manual mode, focus confirmation and with your manual lenses
09-19-2018, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #26
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was able to get some clarification from Precision about the repair quote. Their diagnosis is that a weather seal around the top cover failed allowing water to enter the viewfinder area. They see signs of water damage to the electronics listed on the repair quote (main flex circuit and CPU, finder LCD, and photo sensor block). They are unwilling to do a lesser repair.

I did speak with Ricoh Pentax about it, but they are not willing to help in any way since the camera is out of warranty. That is disappointing but not surprising.

As much as I like this camera, I just can't justify spending $700 to repair it. So once I get it back, I will put my Silver K-3 and D-BG5 battery grip on the market for anyone who needs a silver grip or wants to try their hand at repair (or wants to spend $700 to fix it with Precision).

There is a bright side to this. I have been given approval to buy a K-1 Mark ii. As much as I will miss my silver friend, I think I will enjoy having a full frame again (I still shoot film from time to time), and it should complement my black K-3 pretty well.
09-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a bright side to this. I have been given approval to buy a K-1 Mark ii. As much as I will miss my silver friend, I think I will enjoy having a full frame again
I would gladly trade any silver bodied APS-c camera for a black K-1 Mark ii. I moved from the K-3 to the K-1. And it's night and day. The improvement in dynamic range alone is amazing. You'll wonder how you ever settled for less.
09-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about the repair... Use this as excuse to get into a K1-II, I just got mine and really am impressed with it. You won’t look back.