Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SDHC cards get stuck

I just read a post where a SDHC 4Gig card got stuck in the camera; although it may have been from a spammer the problem is real and occurs all the time with my GX10 and SDHC cards. Since this applies to both the K10 and GX10 I posted here. For some reason all the new SDHC cards I buy get stuck or are very stiff going in and out of the reader on the K10/GX10. If it happens all you have to do is pull them out by the thin slot provided on the top of the card for this very purpose. So if your card gets stuck, take a look at the top and you will see a thin slit where you can put your thumb nail in and just pull it out (after depressing it).

I read on this forum from another member I do not remember there name that an easy fix is to remove the label tag off the card. I have tried this and it works, not 100% but it does help make the card more easy to go in and out. Its apparent the new SDHC cards are slightly bigger even if technically they are suppose to be the same size they ain't! And they get stuck or can be stiff in our K10s and GX10s.

So I have 3 SDHC cards two from SanDisk, they fit best but still are stiff, I removed the label and they are better. I also have a generic that I had to remove the label. When I first bought SDHC cards I returned about 2 or 3 (all lesser brands than Sandisk) becuase they got stuck, I had to pull them out. I was thinking they where of poor quality, when I bought the Sandisk it did not get stuck, but was stiff goint in and out, so the name brands are a bit better. I also realized something about the new SDHC cards, there bigger.

This may not be with all SDHC cards or all K10/GX10 but I have read enough to know its kinda common and decided to post this.

09-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #2

I would rather say it's due to your camera, not cards. I have K10D and Canon S3 IS, both using SDHC cards without any issues. Same goes for 2 card USB card readers I have.
And SD & SDHC really are physically the SAME
If you don't belive me, try to measure them as I once did, just out of curiosity
At the end, try to use regular SD card wiht your camera, I'm pretty sure it'll stuck too..
09-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
I would rather say it's due to your camera, not cards. I have K10D and Canon S3 IS, both using SDHC cards without any issues. Same goes for 2 card USB card readers I have.
And SD & SDHC really are physically the SAME
If you don't believe me, try to measure them as I once did, just out of curiosity
At the end, try to use regular SD card wiht your camera, I'm pretty sure it'll stuck too..
I always used reg SD cards in my GX10 no problems with4 different type. Its only when I wanted a 4gig card that the problem started. So 100% for sure the SDHC cards are slightly bigger, you would need a very accurate micrometer to read the thickness difference, but its real. No lie I have 4 different 2gig SD cards including generic and Sandick, no problems. Its only when I went to the SDHC that problems occured. I still use the 2gig SD cards no problems.

BTW my SDHC cards also goes into my two cards readers no problems and fit other devices no problems, its unique to some K10/GX10 the tolerance is so tight I believe sometimes in some it causes problems. Remember 0.0254mm and 0.02794mm are the same even though there not the same. Technically in manufacturing they can be called the same thickness there is a tolerance allowed, even though the tolerance is so tight in my GX10 that even peeling the label off an SDHC card makes it more easy to remove. And there is no problems what so ever with regular SD cards. Do some searches.

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-21-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: BTW
09-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I always used reg SD cards in my GX10 no problems with4 different type. Its only when I wanted a 4gig card that the problem started. So 100% for sure the SDHC cards are slightly bigger, you would need a very accurate micrometer to read the thickness difference, but its real. No lie I have 4 different 2gig SD cards including generic and Sandisk, no problems. Its only when I went to the SDHC that problems occurred. I still use the 2gig SD cards no problems.
I use PNY SDHC 8gig and 4gig without any problems. I see no differences with my Sandisk III SD 1gig and Lexar pro 2gig, same friction going in or out. Such differences are often due to fake cards. If they were ordered on line, it is possibly fake one and do not meet tolerances. A huge market of fake card exists, buyer beware.

The fact that removing the label helped might be an indication as on real brand name cards, label tends to be recessed. Apply against a flat surface and the edge of the card is the only thing touching. It is done to prevent the label from coming off and damaging the system.

09-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #5

Well, usual vernier caliper would do, because if there's only few micrometers difference, you couldn't notice.
Anyway, thicknes of SDHC is excatly the same as of SD, by standards. Any difference could be in manufacturing and depending on manufacturer. Why so, I don't know... Mine are surelly the same, both from Sandsik. I have some Super Talent 4 Gb SD (not SDHC), and I'll try to measure it. I did have read that thos could be a bit thicker, but we'll have to check.
I'm just sorry we're not closer so I could borrow you mine SDHC to try

Don't know, is it possible that you have fake cards? Especially 'cause label is usually embossed slightly in the card case and removing it wouldn't make card any slimer... ?
09-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I bought them from Best Buy they should be the real thing. I am not the only one with the problem.

Its a common problem and here is one link I have found to show its not just me.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/33637-question-abo...c-problem.html

You can read where some of the SDHC cards are harder to pull out. I always read these links becuase I have the problem as well, if you dont have the problem you tend to skip over them. But thats how I read where one person peeled the label off and the card worked better.

Fact, all my 2gig cards worked fine and that's all I had because my older cameras would not take a SDHC card. I started to buy SDHC cards for my GX10 at Micro Center and they all would get stuck so I returned them. One day I decided to try a 4gig SanDisk Ultra II SDHC card on sale at Best Buy, it worked much better and would pop half way out, so good enough for me.

Also if you take the time and search you will see its a common problem to the SDHC cards, they are just a tiny hair thicker, and in some not all but some cameras cause a problem.
09-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #7

I got interested in this and after some searching, I found that some people reported that 4Gb non-SDHC could be a bit thicker. Yours are SDHC so it's not the same, but...
I also found SD card standard sheet, with dimensions, and it says for thickness 2.1 mm +/- 0.15 mm.
http://www.myembed.com/update_path_liqin_t/Upfiles/008/008/2005_10_25/20051025214343.PDF
It is for SD cards, but SDHC are taking dimensions from them so tolerance should be the same.

I'm sorry for you having this problem, but I'm arguing only to help in finding what's wrong

But if there are any real difference in thickness, this could lead us to Pentax tolerance about memory card slot. Are they making them too tight in some cases? When I put SDHC in my K10D there's no any difference in sliding compared to regular SD. So the problem could be only in tolerances, both of card and camera... Don't know what's chance to get maximized card and minimized slot, but...
09-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree its with the camera and maybe unique to Pentax/Samsung due to weather sealing or something, I appreciate the help and only stated the facts. I have no problems at all with any SD cards only SDHC cards, and I stick to buying SanDick because they come out better, although I do have one 4gig generic from MicroCenter it would stick a little, but I just peel the label off and no problem, these are facts with mine and common mainly to SDHC with others as well.

But... its also the card makers

Another quote of many I have found doing a search on google

"Have you noticed it to be slightly thicker than a "standard" 2gb or less SD card? Does your PC's card reader drive handle it? I've noticed both SD 1.1 4GB cards I've had to be a tad thicker than regular cards. One even had troubles going into an internal card reader drive on my old PC and also ejecting from the SD slot on my previous digital camera! "

Sandisk Announces 4GB SDHC Ultra II Plus card

Here is another quote-
"SD cards have reached 4GB, which is the maximum capacity with the current SD card standard. However, my 4GB Transcend 150x SD even exceeds the maximum thickness of 2.1mm+0.15mm tolerance, and there are some slots where the card can only be violently removed. Physical size seems to be more of a problem than memory size for the 4GB versions"

CARDSPEED - History

As you can see manufacturers do not stick to the standards and this is where problems can come in. My problem is either Pentax/Samsung or the card makers did not perfectly make my slot the right thickness and or the card is every so slightly too thick, but after researching it becomes apparent that its the manufacturers of the bigger >=4gig cards that sometimes don't stick to the published specs when making SD or SDHC cards, just becuase they say they do does not meen they really do and lots of folks have problems with them. This is only to help those others that do get the same problem, remove the card with the thumb nail slot, and peeling the label off helps.

09-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
Forum Member

I thought I had the same problem with my new K200D AND a pair of SanDisk Ultra II's. The first time I put the cards into a card reader, they sort of resisted entering the port and were sticking when I pulled them out. The same thing happened when I put them into and pulled them out of the camera. This was 4 days ago, but now the cards fit into and come out of the slot easier. It still grabs a tiny bit, but I don't think that's such a bad thing as it keeps the card from falling out too easily.
09-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thought I'd weigh in on this, I've had Sandisk SDHC cards get stuck in various cameras -- my K10, and my girlfriend's Canon P&S. My 4gb Transcend and 2gb Kingston cards (SDHC) fit perfectly though, as do my old 1gb Kingmax SD cards.

It's definitely something with Sandisk, and I'm not sure it is dependent on SD/HC or the body either.
09-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamonation Quote
It's definitely something with Sandisk, and I'm not sure it is dependent on SD/HC or the body either.
Not SanDisk specific. I just bought 2 Kingston 4GB SDHC and they are stiff in the K10D but fine in the K20D. I also have SanDisk Extreme III 8GB cards, as well as a couple 1G/2G cards of various brands and they are fine in both cameras.
If anything it probably has to do with whatever company makes the plastic cases for the cards and inconsistency in batches. Just my $0.02.
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a K10D:

2x Lexar Platinum II 2GB SD Cards - no problems at all. Cards go in and out freely
2x SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD Cards - no problems at all.. Cards go in and out freely

3x SanDisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC Cards - the first few times I used them, they just felt like they had a tighter fit, and when I pressed the card in to remove it, they barely popped back out (should've seen the panic when I though I had a SD card stuck in my camera!). The same issue occurred all three cards. However, after using them for a while now, I've had no problems.
09-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #13

I have 1 Gb SanDisk SD card, 4 Gb Super Talent SD card (non-SDHC), and 4 Gb SanDisk Extreme III SDHC card and SanDisk MicroSD to SD card adapter with 2 Gb MicroSD card inside. All of them sliding in and out flawlessly
Now reading all this I'm even more confused. It seems it's because both cameras and cards in some cases...
09-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
I have 1 Gb SanDisk SD card, 4 Gb Super Talent SD card (non-SDHC), and 4 Gb SanDisk Extreme III SDHC card and SanDisk MicroSD to SD card adapter with 2 Gb MicroSD card inside. All of them sliding in and out flawlessly
Now reading all this I'm even more confused. It seems it's because both cameras and cards in some cases...
I think I can see the difference, its where the copper contacts are its a bit thicker there on my 4G cards. The overall card appears to be the same size but when I look at the head on the 4g cards the flange for the copper plates is deeper, even though the overall thickness and dimensions of the card is the same. This may account for why the head seems to get stuck and will not bounce out when depressed on many cameras and devices, and yes my GX10 has loosen up as others and I have no problems now. Also this would allow the manufacturer to be within spec, because the overall dimensions are the same it just has a thicker flange. It makes sense and I can see it without measuring it.

If you can measure your cards see if the flange where the copper is, is thicker. In that I mean measure from the bottom copper plate to the top cover and see if there is any difference. If possible and I can find my old micometer I will try, or try with some other method.

BTW it also appears the copper is ever so slightly deeper grooved on my 4g cards, and this would account for why people report them getting more easy to remove after some time, the copper becomes deeper etched, probably on the card and camera. And looking up the specs it should be 1.4mm -0.1, +0.2. So they allowed a lot of tolerance on the + side of things a card can be up to 0.2mm thicker from the copper to the top, I really believe this is the culprit. This is the largest variance allowed on an SD or SDHC, card the copper contacts to top flange.

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-22-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Add info
09-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Im having the same trouble with A-data 2gb card. It's a bit tight but still easy to get out. Other cards are working without any trouble.

The bigger problem was when my new extra-battery got stuck when I was in Roskilde rock festival in July. I didn't try it before, just charged it at home before the trip. The battery slid in nicely but for some reason it didn't bounce out...
I seriously panicked as it was only the second day of the 10-day trip.

After two hours of desperate work with various "tools" I borrowed a corkscrew from some lovely danish girls next to our camp and managed to stick the corkscrew through the plastic cover of the battery and pull it off with some force without really damaging the camera!

I had to use the battery again on the festival, but never since!

I guess I don't have to mention that it was one of those no-brand supercheap batteries. A lesson learned...