Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #1

K10d Shutter AEB only... How??

I've been playing with the auto exposure bracketing with the k10d and I have one question... It seems to change the aperture and shutter to do the brackets. Is there a way to set it to shutter bracketing only? I can't seem to find it...

09-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #2

You have to set either shutter or aperture value by dials to let the camera change other value.
09-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
You have to set either shutter or aperture value by dials to let the camera change other value.
Not sure what you mean? I'm using the M (manual) mode on the main dial. Setting the exposure, say 1/60 @ F5.6. (using both dials)
09-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #4

That's the point. When you're in M mode, you're choosing both shutter and aperture value. So is camera to get proper exposure. So, you need to lock one of values to make camera change the other. Because if exposure is relative to both values, camera will change both of them to get over or underexposure.
So, you have to lock on of those value, and you can do that in P, Av or Tv mode. Choose either shutter or aperture, and camera will change the other one when you shoot with bracketing

09-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
you can do that in P, Av or Tv mode. Choose either shutter or aperture, and camera will change the other one when you shoot with bracketing
what if I don't want the camera to decide the other value? I want to lock the exposure and aperture and only vary the shutter in AEB. This is not possible?

I'm doing multiple brackets sets (HDR-panoramas). I want all the series to be the same. If I let the camera decide the shutter (Av mode) I'll get different bracket sets.

Could it be done with an older M42 mount lens?

Last edited by milapse; 09-21-2008 at 12:02 PM.
09-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #6

How dou you intend do make auto bracketing if you don't want camera to change the value?
It seems to me that we are in missunderstanding all the time...

Exposure is combination of shutter and aperture. So, you can't change one value without affecting exposure. If you set faster shutter speed, it will underexpose; if you set slower, it will overexpose.
09-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want the camera to bracket by changing the aperture, use Tv. If you want it to change the shutter speed, use Av.

There's no other way of doing bracketing, as far as I know.

Unless you use TAv and the camera will change ISO sensitivity.

09-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #8

And that will also lead to change of exposure.
09-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And that will also lead to change of exposure.
It's hard to guess exactly what the OP wants, so I'm going through all possible options.
09-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
How dou you intend do make auto bracketing if you don't want camera to change the value?
I don't want the camera to use the meter. Again I want to set the EV and then have the camera bracket ONLY the shutter speed. Changes in aperture create changes in DOF... that's what I'm trying to avoid. IF your in Av mode the camera will meter and determine the 'starting' shutter speed. Now I'm doing say 10 bracket sets (5 shots each - 50 total) and if the camera decides (Av mode) to start at 1/100 for one set and 1/30 for another my multi bracket sets will be different! Understand?

On my Nikon I can set the AEB to 'shutter speed' and it will only vary the shutter speed. So I can set it up in manual and do lots of sets and they will be all the same.
09-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #11

Now I'm really not sure if I understand you.
Because if I do, that what you're talking about is not bracketing.
Bracketing is taking of few images of same scene with different exposure. You can't maintain sam exposure with different shutter speed but fixed aperture and EV. Only if EV is changed relative to shutter speed.
09-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #12

Original Poster
Now I'm really not sure if I understand you.
Because if I do, that what you're talking about is not bracketing.
Bracketing is taking of few images of same scene with different exposure. You can't maintain sam exposure with different shutter speed but fixed aperture and EV. Only if EV is changed relative to shutter speed.
What your not understanding is that I'm doing more than one single set of brackets. I'm doing many sets.... For example: set up camera, choose EV, shoot 5 brackets, TURN CAMERA, shoot 5 brackets, TURN CAMERA, shoot 5 brackets, etc....

The first 5 brackets should be the same as the last 5 brackets... So for example F4 @ 1/15,1/60,1/250,1/1000,1/4000 say 10 times for a total of 50 shots.
09-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #13

Aaaaaa, now I get it
But not sure if K10D can do that... only manually..

EDIT:

I FOUND IT!
Go to Av mode, choose aperture, half-press shutter to meter, press AE-L to lock exposure and you'll have same values every time.
Altough I'm not sure why it doesn't allow to choose highest aperture that way if camera is TAv or M mode (on DA 55-200 it allows 5,6 as highest aperture)...

Last edited by Spex; 09-21-2008 at 01:44 PM.
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #14

Original Poster
what happens when the camera is set to Tv (shutter priority) and there is a m42 lens on the body? Will it vary the shutter speed only and since the lens is 'locked' at a set aperture (on the ring) would that work?
09-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #15

With fully manual lens like M42, camera is working same way in all modes except M. It doesn't have to be Tv.
And yes, it will vary shutter speed only.