Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anybody's guess but consensus seems to be next autumn. We might learn more end of Sept at photokina.

09-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 24thNomad Quote
I have not been following this closely but in regards to the replacement for the K-3 II:

We know a replacement has been announced but no real details on when/what yes?

Is there some kind of press thing or something that Pentax is doing soon that has people thinking they may announce it then? I am curious about that.
The K-3 line will continue! - PentaxForums.com

^ This thread has more info.
09-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing has been announced yet. Only a hint that a replacement is planned.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
It appears either way, I would be waiting a while. In that time frame, I could just get a K-1. But I'd rather focus on getting better glass before going that route. I think I'm gonna get another K-70 and save for some Star lenses, I've had my eye on. They're all great cameras either way and premium glass is something I am sorely lacking in. Though, I'll definitely keep my eyes out for updates on the new K-3 III or whatever it gets labeled lol

09-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not been following this closely but in regards to the replacement for the K-3 II:

Is there some kind of press thing or something that Pentax is doing soon that has people thinking they may announce it then? I am curious about that.
I certainly see the point in waiting for the details regarding the forthcoming K-3II replacement. That will be an update from the K-70. It will also be a lot more expensive, and a larger, heavier body. As it is, the KP is an update also, and currently it is available for only $860 new at B&H, just about $265 over a K-70! Even if using the optional battery grip, it comes out close in weight to the K-3II with no battery grip.
09-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #21

As a fellow K-70 owner, I agree with everyone else recommending you get another K-70. If you think about a KP, I would suggest you check out its ergonomics (trying the different optional grips) before buying one, because I personally much prefer the feel of the K-70 over the KP. (Of course, it depends on what you like, as determined by your hand size.) Personally, I'm waiting for the K-3iii, which hopefully, is coming soon!
09-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

It appears either way, I would be waiting a while. In that time frame, I could just get a K-1. But I'd rather focus on getting better glass before going that route. I think I'm gonna get another K-70 and save for some Star lenses, I've had my eye on. They're all great cameras either way and premium glass is something I am sorely lacking in. Though, I'll definitely keep my eyes out for updates on the new K-3 III or whatever it gets labeled lol
If you need the 2nd camera now, K-70. I think that's the smart choice

If you can wait several months before buying, though, hold off a little while until the end of September then reassess. Ricoh is expected to announce something(*) at Photokina, a large photography trade show. Even if they do announce a K-3ii successor, it's unlikely to be available for purchase until November, and quite possibly not available until 2019. Price is also an unknown, but I'd guess $1200-$1500 based on prior Pentax releases and the competition.

(*) Could be a K-3ii successor, or new GR, or new 645Z. Or maybe something completely unexpected. Or nothing at all.

09-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am convinced a K-3II successor is in the works. But contrary to others, I think it a good thing that Pentax has a long history of taking their time, because it has always resulted in an outstanding product when it finally does come through. I agree $1200-$1500 USD as being the probable price point. It will most likely have a pull-out rear screen similar to the KP or perhaps like the K-1. Should be interesting as to the control set, whether continuing in the mold of the K-5/K-3, or the newer K-1/KP style.

---------- Post added 09-10-18 at 05:48 PM ----------

I don't know what you specifically have in mind and are lacking, and then since you've expressed your reservations about the K-1 serving your needs as well, which I understand. In my case, I have considered the K-1 in view of my having already a premium short 28-70mm f/2.8 FF zoom lens, and a number of excellent FF primes, including the FA 43 and 77 Limiteds which I would like to use again in the FF format (especially the FA 43 and FA 35mm f/2). But as to Star lenses, I really love my DA* 50-135mm on my KP and K-5IIs bodies. I've had this lens for some 10 years, and I am enjoying it more than ever. These two cameras reveal its capabilities even more than previous models have. Performance is excellent, and with APS-C the savings in weight, size, and cost are significant here. My DA* 200mm f/2.8 is fully usable for FF, as is of course my FA* 300mm f/4.5, but I prefer them with APS-C anyway.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.