Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Backup Body to K-70?

I'm a freelancer who is usually doing concerts and parties. I have been using my K-70 for my professional work and am pleased with what I have gotten from this camera. I'm mostly in low/dynamic lighting situations and doing candid/portrait shots of people. I dislike changing lens during an event because of the possibility of missing a special moment. I have been looking into a second crop sensor body but not sure what I should go after. I've been looking at the KS2 and K-5 II. Which body would you choose and why? If you need more context or have another suggestion, please let me know. Thanks for reading!

09-10-2018, 06:46 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

My advice if you are happy with K-70 and you want to work with two cameras at the same time there is no better option than buy a second copy of K-70. All the controls exactly the same and same batteries... The camera is well priced now.
09-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
That is a good point. I do like my K-70 a lot and the price between any of these cameras isn't an issue. They're all quite affordable. I just wonder if some of the more professional features like the top LCD, dual SD card slot, etc would be worth having to compliment. I did miss some of those when I had a K-3 II (I sold it because I wanted a smaller camera).
09-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

K-5ii autofocus is not as good as the K-70. I'm less familiar with KS2. How important is autofocus for you?

If budget allows, a used K-70 will give you consistent controls for both cameras.

09-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The K-70 doesn't exactly have class leading AF but I make it work. AF is somewhat important. I found the K-70 to be more reliable in low light than I did with the K-3 II if that means anything. But I have gotten in the habit of switching between Spot AF and selecting with AF point to use, and also using Manual Focus. These have largely eliminated the quirks I had initially with the K-70. I don't know how other crop sensor Pentaxs stack up though since I have only ever used the K-70 and K-3 II.
09-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Another K-70 makes more sense.
09-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ks2 is only 12bit and the dynamic range isn't as good. Not so good for low light. K5 is older so again high iOS is not as good. K70 or upgrade to kp.

09-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 has big fat pixels so ISO performance isn't bad but the sensor is aging. The k70 is honestly hard to beat for value. The k-5 autofocus lags the k-3 series if that helps your decision.
09-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If you like the way the K-70 handles low light your choices are pretty much limited to other cameras with he accelerator chip. That would be K-70, K-P and K-1 mkII. The K-5 is very good for low light, but as stated above, the AF leaves bit to be desired. The K-3 is step back from the K-5 in low light, but not much. Another K-70 would be the safest bet as there are increased capabilities which you probably value in your line of work.
09-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmm. Sounds like either another K-70 or a KP is the way to go. But I don't know if the differences in the KP are worth enough to justify the price difference when the mechanics I care about the most are in both cameras. I know that the KP has more AF points and more cross AF points. Does that provide a substantial difference when comparing it to its older brethren? AF is important to a degree so I'm curious about that.
09-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 24thNomad Quote
Hmm. Sounds like either another K-70 or a KP is the way to go. But I don't know if the differences in the KP are worth enough to justify the price difference when the mechanics I care about the most are in both cameras. I know that the KP has more AF points and more cross AF points. Does that provide a substantial difference when comparing it to its older brethren? AF is important to a degree so I'm curious about that.
The KP and K-3 II have the same AF. They are both good, but I second the recommendation to pick up another K-70 for now. It sounds like you'd likely be interested in whatever replaces the K-3 line, as then you'd be getting an upgrade without any compromises.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The KP and K-3 II have the same AF. They are both good, but I second the recommendation to pick up another K-70 for now. It sounds like you'd likely be interested in whatever replaces the K-3 line, as then you'd be getting an upgrade without any compromises.
Ahhh, gotcha. That makes up my mind then. I found the K-3 II's AF to be lacking for the applications I used it in and I have all of the same lens I had then, now with my K-70. And I definitely found the K-70 to be more reliable all around. So I guess I'm picking up a silver one to compliment my black one.
09-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-70 without a doubt. Or you could wait and see if Pentax announces a new flagship at the end of the month.
09-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 24thNomad Quote
Ahhh, gotcha. That makes up my mind then. I found the K-3 II's AF to be lacking for the applications I used it in and I have all of the same lens I had then, now with my K-70. And I definitely found the K-70 to be more reliable all around. So I guess I'm picking up a silver one to compliment my black one.
What you get at this price point can't be beat!

I have done the same with cameras I especially have liked. At a reduced price for being discontinued, I have both the K-5 and K-5IIs, and much later I got a pretty good deal for the silver KP, liked it so much I got another silver one when the next even better deal came along! I do not regret doing this one bit. I use them, and have also found it convenient when using different lenses without having to take time to change them.
09-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
K-70 without a doubt. Or you could wait and see if Pentax announces a new flagship at the end of the month.
I have not been following this closely but in regards to the replacement for the K-3 II:

We know a replacement has been announced but no real details on when/what yes?

Is there some kind of press thing or something that Pentax is doing soon that has people thinking they may announce it then? I am curious about that.