Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2018, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The spin of saying "if someone was to buy all you existing gear", makes this an interesting question!

For me I would probably consider taking the deal to sell all my gear IF it was a good deal for me - but only because I have quite a collection of older lenses that I don't really need now and it would be an opportunity to consolidate my system with minimal effort!

Would I buy a different system, is a more of a difficult question. I must admit the new Canon EOS R looks pretty good (quite a few nice features) and I could probably live without the extra memory slot but what I don't like so much (roughly in order of importance) is:
* half the battery life (the K-1 is just right for my use)
* No Hyper Program mode (I really like Pentax Hyper program and hate having to always have to change mode dial between P, Tv and Av)
* No IBIS
* not sure how the ergonomics would stack up???
* No astrotracer
* No pixel shift (not that I use it that often)

So on reflection I don't think there is quite enough there for me to change yet. Hopefully Pentax will keep innovating and I won't have to make that decision.

09-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They're good stills cameras, I have a ton of lenses, they aren't Sony, and the IQ (in my opinion) is noticeably better than the m43 cameras I've owned.

I'd consider getting a Canon, M43 or Nikon for video.

I shoot film cameras, anything digital is leaps better in performance.
09-10-2018, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

I like what Pentax makes, it's that simple When I bought a Pentax camera two and a half years ago, I had no film lens collection or other reason, it was just the right choice for me after trying out a few options: how it felt in the hand and the da limited series. I've gone through this mental exercise once or twice since, and reached the same conclusion, that for me it's exactly what I want (and I'm not even much of a nature photographer, as they brand themselves): ergonomics, optical viewfinder, and the limited lenses. I'm an amateur so I have the luxury of not feeling any pressure to shoot video in addition to stills or to fit in any agency's ecosystem.
09-10-2018, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am staying because I will not find buyers for my gear, mainly the 560, in India
Well, that's the excuse I am giving myself. Other than that, Pentax does what I want for most of the time. Though the very light 500/5.6 PF lens of Nikon is very tempting as I like to do a lot of hand held shots

09-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Tomorrow I am heading to the UK for another shoot/gig, and it will be the first time I have not had any Pentax gear with me. Not even adapted lenses.
What's your other system, is it Sony?
09-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I stick with Pentax because of inertia. Plus it does pretty much everything I want it to do and the stuff it doesn't that I might like it to do is generally outside of my price range.

If someone magically purchased everything I own, it would be a tough decision. I don't know any other brands well enough, but there have been a few neat features I've seen here and there that might be nice to have built-in (e.g. focus bracketing/stacking) so I might have to do some research. Probably I'd decide it's not worth the bother and I'd chase down the guy who bought my Pentax stuff to get it back.
09-10-2018, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't think of another brand that would give me the same experience for dollar spent, especially since I like to buy my equipment new.

09-10-2018, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It's less about me "leaving" Pentax, as Pentax not keeping up with my professional workflow tools. I LOVE my Pentax gear, and I sincerely hope that video is worked back into what is important to Pentax.
That's my situation, too. I like my Pentax gear for stills, but I make my living as a videographer. I'd love to have one set of gear that lets me switch between both worlds. I've been patiently waiting for Pentax to get more competitive in their video offerings, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm overdue to upgrade my camera body and right now a Sony full-frame mirrorless is looking more and more like it's in my future. So if someone would come along and offer to buy all my Pentax gear for what I paid for it, I'd probably jump on the offer, then go out and buy a new mirrorless system with top-end lenses...and use the rest of the money to buy a new car. lol
09-10-2018, 08:11 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

If someone bought my gear and I could use the money for anything? I would get Pentax because for the money I get more.

K1 Mark II. For the money what would compare? The D850? For the price I have the K1 and the 150-450 lens.

43mm Limited. Small, built like a jewel, and very nice IQ.
150-450? Nice, very sharp, the comparable lenses are 50 mm shorter.
35mm Limited. 12-24mm. Probably alternatives.
300 f4. Lots of nice lenses from all manufacturers.
Sigma 500 f4.5. I got it used, very nice IQ. Any mount would work.
70mm Sigma, 90mm Tamron, FA100. Lots of macro choices everywhere.

For the money I don't see how I would get even what I have, let alone more. A D500 is nice, I have friends who have that and get nice results, but the K1 does better in low light. And both have had situations where some setting took half an hour to sort out. A bit ridiculous if you ask me.
09-10-2018, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Not gonna follow the party line here.

My work has gradually moved into a blend of video and photography, and as this has happened I've gradually invested in M43 gear. I'm happy with the pentax gear I have, I have no intention of getting rid of it, and have a nice range of lenses etc. I'm perfectly happy with my pentax gear...

But honestly I don't intend to buy Pentax again, and if it all disappeared I'd probably head fully to M43. With what I do now (as opposed to a couple of years ago) I'd only really be missing out on occasional low light stuff.
09-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #26

Everything I sold would be replaced with more Pentax gear.

A lot more money would be spent with another brand in order to duplicate the features of my Pentax gear.I'd want an OVF so this would rule out Sony cameras. In order to get image stabilization I would then have to get Nikon or Canon and their optically stabilized lenses – more money. I'd have to move up to the higher end models to get full weather sealing – more money.It's not worth it for me. Camera video does not interest me in the least. The lack luster auto focus is somewhat bothersome but I expect that future Pentax cameras will improve here. Right now Pentax suits me just fine and I don't see that changing in the future.

Now an opinion concerning the eminent doom of Pentax due to the increasing popularity of mirrorless and smartphones - I think that of all the manufacturers Pentax is in thebest position to cope with these changes. I certainly don't know the financial specifics of Canon, Nikon, Sony or Ricoh but it seems that the first three rely on sales volume for revenue to a much greater extent then Ricoh. Does Ricoh earn a modest income from Pentax? Is Ricoh losing (loosing in internet speak) money with Pentax? None of us know but Ricoh must be gaining some financial benefit from Pentax(R&D breakthroughs, tax write offs?) because they stay with the brand.

Now with falling DSLR sales, who is affected more – the company with 30% of the market or the one that has had 3% or less for decades? I suspect that by now Pentax andRicoh are quite capable of coping with a small sales volume and know how to survive. And does the shift to mirrorless and smartphones really have that great of a negative impact on Pentax? Let's face it– most smartphone buyers would have gone for Canon or Nikon if they wanted a DSLR rather than Pentax. It's been 10 years since the rise of the smartphone and Pentax is still with us. It also seems to me that most of the desire to switch to mirrorless is within the big three camera camps and not from Pentax.

One final thought – If Nikon and Canon quit the DSLR side of business, and there is still a small demand for DSLRs, then this demand will be met by a manufacturer. Now what manufacturer would that be? What manufacturer is photographercentric enough to build DSLRs? I think that Pentax is actually in a pretty good position right now and if things work out the company can establish a decent secured market niche in the future.
09-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I had the opportunity to sell off everything and was, more than briefly, tempted switch everything. But what drew me to Pentax is still there: best in class IQ, compact if heavy bodies, great viewfinders with real pentaprisms, robust weather sealing, extremely flexible raw files, and excellent lenses. The kit I have now does most everything that I need and want, why switch? I’d rather spend the money and efforts on printing and making art.

If I had to switch systems, I’d probably stretch for a 645Z. If I had to switch brands... I don’t know. Probably a full frame?

Last edited by skierd; 09-10-2018 at 08:44 PM.
09-10-2018, 08:41 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
What's your other system, is it Sony?
Yep.

I used to use the WG Series of cameras for rough weather - Now the Sony FDR-X3000 (instead of GoPro)

APS-C - K5/K3 - Now the Sony A6500 with the occasional adapted Pentax lens on a Crane Gimbal.

FF - K1 - Now the Sony A7R for stills and video, A7S for low light.

Long form video - Used to use a Atomos with K5/K3/K1, now I can get 2K at 240fps with the Atomos and 4k/2K internal with the Sony FS5 and FS7.

One area left for Pentax is when I have to do flash photography, since all my remotes are Pentax...but when I have the next $1200 I will be going to a Nissin AirII system for Sony.

Finally the last thing that hold out for a Pentax in my workflow is the K5/K3/K1 being the best field cameras for when I am out in the rain or poor weather.

Sadly...as I have been a vocal and huge supporter of Pentax and a rabid Pentaxian.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
That's my situation, too. I like my Pentax gear for stills, but I make my living as a videographer. I'd love to have one set of gear that lets me switch between both worlds. I've been patiently waiting for Pentax to get more competitive in their video offerings, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm overdue to upgrade my camera body and right now a Sony full-frame mirrorless is looking more and more like it's in my future. So if someone would come along and offer to buy all my Pentax gear for what I paid for it, I'd probably jump on the offer, then go out and buy a new mirrorless system with top-end lenses...and use the rest of the money to buy a new car. lol
Yep...when I shot this with the Sony A7S the other week...with an F/4 lens...in horrible light...it blew me away. You can't fight this. I could NEVER have attempted this with anything in the Pentax line.

(Bagpipes start at 1:50)

You would NEVER guess how dark that room was!

Last edited by LaurenOE; 09-10-2018 at 08:51 PM.
09-10-2018, 08:46 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

I consider myself set on lenses for the most part, and Pentax offers the best bang for the buck when it comes to bodies. Plus, I'm really a fan of their build quality.

I'm looking at upgrading soon and am watching closely what happens in the next few weeks though.
09-10-2018, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Well, if someone were to offer to buy all of your Pentax gear tomorrow for what you've got into it, what would you do with the proceeds? Would you buy another Pentax system, or use it as an opportunity to switch brands?
Likely stay with Pentax and restructure the kit. I'd get a Kp, 15, 20-40, and 70 limiteds and stop there. My wants/needs have changed over the recent years is what is driving that change. I'd stay with Pentax for the value, performance, and familiarity. But, other tempts include Fuji and micro 4/3's. I think Pentax still wins out, however.