Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 189 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 05:24 AM - 2 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's great that you've found a system that works for you. Pentax isn't for everyone, and despite this being a brand-specific forum site, I think most members here accept that. Life's too short to continue shooting with a system that doesn't meet your needs. Fujifilm makes nice equipment, and whilst it's not for me, I can understand why it suits a lot of folks
Exactly!

And what's interesting is that each brand has features that attract some buyers but repel others. Some love the small sizes of some brands of cameras and others find these tiny cameras to be unusable. Some love OVFs and some love EVFs. Some love labelled dials and some love e-dials.

The challenge to each photographer is to find what works for them. That may entail investing in multiple systems (e.g., a big "pro" camera and a tiny travel camera or a stills camera and a video camera) if no one camera is adequate for all purposes.

09-11-2018, 05:42 AM - 3 Likes   #62
Pentaxian

I still have the DA560, K3II and 1.4tc.
Hard to sell, and expensive to replace.
But for all other shooting, I have switched to Sony and Zeiss.

The bottom line: when I switched from Olympus 4/3 (terminated) to Pentax, there were still compelling reasons to do so: the K5, the DA560 on the roadmap.
Now, at this moment, I could myself honestly not think of valid reasons to step into Pentax unless I can fit myself willingly into Pentax' limitations, and in that sense I agree that Pentax K would be labeled as a "dead" or "dying" mount.
With increasing focus on mirrorless, on lighter (super tele) lenses, which bring a new level of useability and performance, there is realistically very little chance of Pentax releasing bodies or lenses that compete for best in class in any catagory with the large brands.
I don't believe in victimizing, Pentax has simply not renewed and invested in the past years, has done basically only one thing: slow down.
They pretty much send a message that they are not that troubled about the K mount surviving. They go about their business, and should sales drop below a threshold, I assume they would simply stop their activities..... which, fortunately, due to an existing user base, can still be quite some time away..
09-11-2018, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VAV personal preferences. Sometime when I first was doing some serious photography (late 1950's-early 1960's) one of the photomags had an article about the newly introduced rigid (=no bellows) Linhof Press Technica, which came with a large molded plastic "anatomical grip" that had a built-in cable release. They indicated that the design was guided by Karpf, then head of the company, who was a big man with huge hands. The Press Technica was basically the smallest camera he felt comfortable hand-holding. SO personal preferences and physical needs dictated product design. BTW: Linhof is said to be the oldest camera-maker still in business.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I also learned that early on, in the 1800's, Linhof was into design & manufacture of shutters. They apparently designed what became known as the Compur, later Synchro-Compur leaf shutter mechanism. That is defensibly the most successful shutter ever devised, probably used in more cameras than any other shutter, extraordinarily durable and serviceable.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-11-2018 at 06:06 AM.
09-11-2018, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually do remember asking myself a similar question back in 2006 when I went digital with the K100D. I was looking at Canon and Nikon, with Pentax being suggested because of IBIS and M42 mount comparability with my Spotmatic. I also considered what I would do when I bought my K5 if Pentax went under (the doomed period) - buy another spare K5 at a bargain price.

Today - well the K1/K5IIs combination may well be my last cameras. The combination works for me - especially shooting at night. Yes, I need to carry a tripod, but I don't have to hold the camera still - well the K1 anyway. The K5 is a feather weight (in comparison).

They do astro, the low light DR - especially the K1 is amazing. Astro use to be hard, the K1 has made the stars the easiest thing I do. I will never go to a tracker - too much to haul around and too long to setup, align and calibrate. So, I'm happy to have what I have, as nothing else would really perform the same, in the same form factor.

Will thing change in 5 to 10 years? Yes Will it matter to me? I don't know. Do I care? Not really. Do I need anything more? Not especially. Color me satisfied.

09-11-2018, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I don't believe in victimizing, Pentax has simply not renewed and invested in the past years, has done basically only one thing: slow down.
It's certainly fair to say that the rate of new product releases has decreased. I'm sure there are good strategic business reasons for that, not least of which is the state of the ILC market as a whole...

They pretty much send a message that they are not that troubled about the K mount surviving. They go about their business, and should sales drop below a threshold, I assume they would simply stop their activities..... which, fortunately, due to an existing user base, can still be quite some time away..
It's interesting how differently we see things. I hear no such message, and in fact see the K-1, K-1II, fast D FA zooms and D FA* 50 as very clear indication that Pentax is as committed to K-mount as it ever was... albeit, carefully managing risk vs reward as any good business should...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-11-2018 at 06:16 AM.
09-11-2018, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

No matter what we think of Thom Hoggan, we can't deny that K-mount doesn't look very dynamic at the moment compared to some other mounts. It certainly couldn't be described as a rapidly growing line up with a promising roadmap...

Now, to answer the original question, I'm staying with Pentax because there isn't anything tempting enough to make me switch to another brand. For the money I'm willing to spend, switching to other brands would be at best a sidestep or, at worst, a downgrade. If someone offrered to buy me all my gear, I would probably decline the offer for the same reason. If I had no choice to take the money, like insurance money after a steal, I would certainly consider all the systems available. I would probably still end up with Pentax, but also could also try somethning else, if only for the sake of change or a having a great deal. In the end, I don't have any exotic needs and thus could make do with any system.
09-11-2018, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #67
Unregistered User

I've been in and out of various Pentax systems since the 60s (H-3, 6x7, K20D, K-30, K-01, Q7) and have always found them to be, for the lack of a better word, elegant. They have always had sense of continuity in design, their lenses are almost all forward-compatible since the 1950s! Since the digital revolution, the operating menus have been consistent across four formats! With a few exceptions (DA-16-50), the optical performance of the Pentax glass has always been competitive and generally superlative. And, finally, they are reasonably priced.

09-11-2018, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

It's certainly fair to say that the rate of new product releases has decreased. I'm sure there are good strategic business reasons for that, not least of which is the state of the MILC market as a whole...
I'm not sure I agree. If Pentax has no interest in the mirrorless ILC market, then they should promote and actively develop their mirror reflex cameras. What good would waiting to see how the market develops do them at all, if they are pretty much set on their course themselves anyhow?

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam:
It's interesting how differently we see things. I hear no such message, and in fact see the K-1, K-1II, fast D FA zooms and D FA* 50 as very clear indication that Pentax is as committed to K-mount as it ever was... albeit, carefully managing risk vs reward as any good business should...
I could see a reason to get a K1mkII and the DFA*50 if I would not mind the sheer weight and volume, and was after top notch IQ at 50mm, but bind myself to the whole Pentax system based on these (the only releases in a long time, and not much ahead this year except a GRIII...)?
So, people who love the brand will stick around, and have some very good options for high end portrait or landscape, not minding the weight and volume of the system. But the objective view would have to be, that developments have slowed down to a degree not befitting a large camera and lenses maker, and as Thom says: Pentax K should be a mount in the catagory "lingering", and not "languishing", were it not for the lack of new product developments and the lack of dealer presence.

I don't think though that existing users have as much to fear as I had in the last year of Olympus 4/3, as long as they are mainly satisfied with what there is at the moment.

Chris
09-11-2018, 06:45 AM - 3 Likes   #69
Forum Member

I think exactly the same. The talks about dpreview, Tony Northrup etc. not liking Pentax are BS, there is no world conspiracy against Pentax, jut Pentaxī own business decisions.

---------- Post added 09-11-18 at 03:48 PM ----------

It's certainly fair to say that the rate of new product releases has decreased. I'm sure there are good strategic business reasons for that, not least of which is the state of the ILC market as a whole...

It's interesting how differently we see things. I hear no such message, and in fact see the K-1, K-1II, fast D FA zooms and D FA* 50 as very clear indication that Pentax is as committed to K-mount as it ever was.
Nobody denies commitment to K-mount. But now there is APSC and FF and the commitment goes clearly to FF, what means - with limited sources - neglecting APSC. For a K-1 shooter no problem, for me (or other APSC-only shooters) quite a big one.

---------- Post added 09-11-18 at 03:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
And what's interesting is that each brand has features that attract some buyers but repel others. Some love the small sizes of some brands of cameras and others find these tiny cameras to be unusable
You are 100% true. The thing is in my opinion Fuji is the closest camera system equivalent to Pentax (at least philosophy-wise), so despite obvious diferrences (DLSR vs ML, OVF vs EVF etc.) the Fuji is very similar to Pentax and I kinda feel I have a Pentax successor. No other camera made me feel this way.
09-11-2018, 06:57 AM - 4 Likes   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Three years ago when I decided to move from point and shoot into a dslr system I looked at a lot of cameras. I had no experience with the dslr's and had absolutely no idea what I wanted. I just knew my starting budget was around $450. I read reviews of Nikons, Cannons, Fugi, and Sony in that price range. Four things made my mind up to go with a K-50, Weather sealing (I spend a lot of time around and on the water), the K mount system, a friend who was looking at a used Nikon entry level camera, her comment was "it gonna take great pictures because it's a Nikon!" . Nothing to do with abilities, learning, camera set up, trial and lots of error. Just because its a Nikon! And when reading reviews of camera I came across this Pentax Forums. No other camera brand has anything close to the information, knowledge, help, and reviews that his website has. This site is why I decided to invest in Pentax. Three years later I still have my K-50, a K-3II, a K-1 and impatiently waiting on the upcoming photokina announcement on which camera to start saving for next . I like the way they feel in my hand, like it belongs there. The learning curve between the bodies wasn't difficult. If I have a problem I can review past posts and usually find the answer to my problem, I've happily bought lens with high ratings, and have not been disappointed, I've passed on lenses because of low ratings and saved for better equipment.

I love the fact that when I'm out shooting, other photographers look at my equipment and try to figure out what I'm shooting (I've traded my Pentax neck strap for an Aircell strap). When they ask I proudly say Pentax, If interested, I will show them what I've just taken. I've rarely have a Cannon/Nikon shooter offer to show me their photographs in the field.

The Pentax bodies and the K mount lenses do everything I want or need to do. If I have a problem, a quick search of the forum and I'm good. I feel my photographs are as good as any taken by a Cannon/Nikon/Sony. If not, its not the camera fault, it's mine! I feel we have the total package with Pentax and I have no desire, nor need to switch to any other brand!
09-11-2018, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #71
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
Nobody denies commitment to K-mount. But now there is APSC and FF and the commitment goes clearly to FF, what means - with limited sources - neglecting APSC. For a K-1 shooter no problem, for me (or other APSC-only shooters) quite a big one.
I'm an APS-C shooter (at least so far as Pentax is concerned) and I see no neglect. Sure, the K-3II replacement is overdue, but that was presumably necessary to give development priority to the full frame products. So rather than seeing neglect towards the APS-C line, I just see a temporary shift of resource allocation within a small photography division.

We know from Ricoh that there will be a K-3II replacement - we just don't know when. It's taking too long for some folks, but it's coming. And the lens line-up is already excellent (though the SDM lenses might benefit from AF motor refresh). The very-wide-angle zoom is due in the near future, having already been more-or-less developed. I'm sure there are other products that a few individuals would like to see, but that's down to personal preference. The eco-system is pretty complete.

As I said, it's interesting how we see things differently. I respect your view-point, but I see a slightly different situation...
09-11-2018, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Forum Member

Sure, the K-3II replacement is overdue, but that was presumably necessary to give development priority to the full frame products. So rather than seeing neglect towards the APS-C line, I just see a temporary shift of resource allocation within a small photography division.
So basically you say the same, just in other words. ;-)
We know from Ricoh that there will be a K-3II replacement - we just don't know when. It's taking too long for some folks, but it's coming.
See, that is the problem I felt. Pentax has been "a bit late" with many products, be it the long awaited FF or the K-3 successor. And some impatient people like me ;-) just couldnīt wait any longer and left the brand. And I believe testing the patience of its (already quite small) fan-base is not the wisest business plan, especially when there are no new customers (from other brands) that could be attracted by Pentax products and substitute for those who left.
09-11-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Why Do YOU Stay With Pentax?
Its circumstantial. I have K-mount optics, some DA Lims included. Moving on will just cost me money. But I totally gave up on the whole SLR "process" and use k-01 with manual focus.
Most of all I am missing a lightweight FF, suitable for manual focusing. Sony plus aperture-enabled PK adaptor would probably do, but the final weight and bulkiness will match the K-1D. So there's not much point (and yes, k-01 with DA Lims is super compact). With that size I am thinking more about Fuji MF, but sadly that is currently out of reach (financially).
09-11-2018, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Why do *I* stay with Pentax.

"Stay" is an interesting word, and if I were to expand on what that means, it would be absorbed in other meanings. I will never "Leave" Pentax if I use the same definition. Cameras in my hands have changed as I have worked my way up the professional ranks. Pentax has shown me that there are many things not available to me that other cameras have that make my workflow easier. I am doing media creation every single day, and a Pentax camera is less and less part of that professional workflow. I own a staggering amount of Pentax gear, and there is not much more I *could* own except for the really exotic legacy glass or some of the more specialized pieces of equipment.

Tomorrow I am heading to the UK for another shoot/gig, and it will be the first time I have not had any Pentax gear with me. Not even adapted lenses.

It's less about me "leaving" Pentax, as Pentax not keeping up with my professional workflow tools. I LOVE my Pentax gear, and I sincerely hope that video is worked back into what is important to Pentax.

There is nothing more enjoyable than my Pentax gear, but I can only take and work with so much on my journeys. For now, my Pentax gear is idle...but I still consider myself a hardcore Pentaxian.
Because itīs the best (and the cheapest !, I mean the K-1 Mark II) professional camera on the market ! Awake Ricoh - we need a modern travel zoom 28-300mm, not a costly 50mm 1.4, who needs it ???
09-11-2018, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got into Pentax because the DSLR's seemed to have the biggest bang for the buck.. As it turned out, that came at the cost of 2.5 ACB failures on two cameras, one at least under warranty. So, a used K5iis later, I'm not ahead financially at least DSLR wise. I have a number of really good Pentax lenses and K-mount lenses, the FA77 being the most stellar. So, I'm sort of locked in and mostly happy with results, using the K5iis as primary, K30 as a dedicated m42 camera and the k50 as a somewhat less than reliable backup (there are certain erratic failures I can't explain). On the other hand, given the ACB failures with the less than flagship dslrs (that still do not seem to be fully addressed), I could not recommend that anyone start out with Pentax, no matter the seeming initial cost savings, unless they pick up a used flagship and really concentrate on picking up firesale copies of used good glass like the FA77, DFA 105mm etc. Doesn't help Pentax at all, but its going to be best for most people.