Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #76
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
So basically you say the same, just in other words. ;-)
See, that is the problem I felt. Pentax has been "a bit late" with many products, be it the long awaited FF or the K-3 successor. And some impatient people like me ;-) just couldnīt wait any longer and left the brand. And I believe testing the patience of its (already quite small) fan-base is not the wisest business plan, especially when there are no new customers (from other brands) that could be attracted by Pentax products and substitute for those who left.
I guess I'm just more patient (I'm certainly a lot more patient than when I was a younger man ). Plus, it helps that my needs are fully covered by my existing Pentax APS-C gear. I don't believe I stretch the capabilities of my K-3 and K-3II as much as they stretch me

Right now, Pentax offers me what I need and like - but, as I said, it's great that you found a system that satisfies your needs too

09-11-2018, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I first came to Pentax in the 1970s. Other factors caused me to do very little photography for about 20 years from the middle 1980s. I came back on buying a DSLR in 2007 when I needed photos for a website. I bought a K100D which was fine for a while, but it developed a very "fussy" attitude to batteries. It was used sporadically until early 2013 when I bought a K30 and started to rekindle a serious interest in photography. A K50 followed 2 years later, along with a couple more lenses.

Why did I buy Pentax DSLRs? Past experience of Pentax, backwards compatibility of lenses, physical handling of the camera bodies, user friendly software menus, image quality, weather resistance, cost, and more. Have I been satisfied? YES. The fear of aperture control block problems(which so far I have not experienced) led me to move on to the K-3ii. The K-3ii felt so much more a "quality" camera, as did the K100D in its time, and it has helped me improve as a photographer.

I have only ever handled other makes very briefly, and I have never felt envious of what they offered. For my mix of photography, Pentax AF has proved to be perfectly acceptable, and failures of focus are just as(or more) likely to be my fault of technique as the camera. I don't generally take fast action shots, but I may occasionally try my hand at birds in flight or surfing shots. I am not in any sense a professional, and rarely use a tripod since I like to respond quickly to what I see(I rarely plan shots), and change viewpoint and focal length in order to frame a shot. Absolute sharpness is secondary to first capturing the image I see - even if it is only a moment in a sunset sequence.

My wife bought a Nikon bridge camera which boasts a tilting screen(which I do like) but also some menus which I, personally, find not as logical as those on the Pentax DSLRs. I would not like to have to find my way around the Nikon version of a DSLR menu if it follows the bridge camera pattern. Partly it's familiarity, but sometimes a designer simply "thinks differently" and follows a different pattern which some people find awkward to follow. Personally, I don't like Android systems for this reason, but do like Pentax and Panasonic.

All this is a prelude to answering the OP's question. Yes, I might accept an offer for all my Pentax kit, but only to buy Pentax again but with maybe one or two changed choices as to precise items of kit. I'm not in the market for anything new as what I've got may well see me out - unless Pentax can really tempt me with an offer I can't refuse. I'm happy for Pentax to continue as a niche player as, in my professional life, I saw many businesses fail through chasing turnover/the latest big thing, at the expense of the bottom line.
09-11-2018, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

Just picked up my new K-1II today So I will stay with the brand for a while
09-11-2018, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several years ago, enjoying the analog technique and the darkroom, I was about to buy Pentax ME Super and switch from M42 system. Since I couldn't find it in the reasonable price I picked up the Minolta X300 instead, as I found a good bargain on it. It gave me plenty of nice photos throughout the years but somehow I was looking back to ME Super with a sort of hmm... nostalgy? Back then it was sort of a symbol of the highest quality in photography to me. So when I finally decided to turn to DSLR, the choice was simple.
So for me, the reason for staying with Pentax is purely sentimental, but since photography is my hobby and I don't do it for a living, I guess it is enough for a reason. It seems that in the entry-level price range Pentax has a little bit more to offer than other brands, which also counts for me but is not that crucial.

09-11-2018, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

My Father and Grandfather had Pentax gear in the 80's and 90's. I have since inherited that gear, not that I shoot with it much. When it came time to get into my own gear I naturally looked to Pentax as it was a familiar brand, but I decided I should weigh all my options. Being in Alberta we have stores that stock Pentax gear. The Camera Store, London Drugs, McBain Camera. You can go in and handle all the brands side by side with Pentax. I handled Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, and then Pentax last. I knew as soon as I picked up that K100D Super that Pentax was my brand. It felt better built and more intuitive, plus I had some old glass it would still work with. After a couple K5's, K3, and now a K1, I still go and handle other brands every once in a while, just too see what I'm missing. For what I do, I am not missing anything. I am still not good enough to hit the limits of what I have. Plus I seem to like to be different, and Pentax is different in a good way.
09-11-2018, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

- Made my DSLR decision more than seven years ago and went with Pentax K-5 in favor to a Canon 60D or 7D. Reason: image quality, great ISO performance and dynamic range and overall build quality and ergonomics. For both systems Pentax (ME Super) and Canon SLR (EOS 100) I own legacy glass from the analog era.
- I use my cameras as an allround solution but mainly for landscapes, macro, street and sometimes sports.
- No need for much faster continous AF, buffer etc. - even for shooting taekwondo action I didn‘t need it and got IMO good results. You simply have to know the sports very well (timing), have good reaction and be very concentrated (prefocus using AF / sometimes correct focus using quick shift, shoot in single mode). Of course that‘s very demanding and it needs some time to get used to it. Not everybody may like to work this way and of course there are situations where it‘s not sufficient.
- Because fast f2.8 lenses from 300mm upwards are above what I‘d like to pay for, it‘s not a reason to refuse Pentax.
- I patiently wait for what Pentax can offer over time and consider it to round up my system, although I have to admit - sometimes it‘s a bit annoying, by example the delay of DA*11-18, whereas the DA55-300PLM was a nice surprise. Also new modern lightweight wide angle glass still seems to be unpedictable. I‘d be interested in fullframe lenses 20mm or 18-35mm/20-40mm.
- Since I love my system I wouldn‘t invest in a complete new other system.

Last edited by acoufap; 09-11-2018 at 09:18 AM.
09-11-2018, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #82

I have been using Pentax since film. There is no camera out there which can match following (not necessarily the order of preference)

1. Shake Reduction built into Camera
2. Weather resistance
3. Image Quality
4. Price

Even when I try other cameras (friends') they are not very appealing to me neither I am blown away to switch from Pentax. I am not worried about fast AF because I am comfortable to shoot in manual focus mode. I have used my Pentax cameras (K-5, K-5 IIs, K-3 II) extensively shooting sports, on stage performances and I am happy with results with AF. BTW, I am not a professional photographer.

09-11-2018, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I switched in 1981 to Pentax from an Exakta system.

The reason I chose Pentax was the K mount, so I could built up a system step by step.
Not only Tokina, Vivitar, Sigma, and Soligor offered good K lenses, even more important was that the 2 biggest European distributors of photographic equipment - Photo Quelle ("Revue", "Revuenon") and Photo Porst, both German - at that time both used the K mount for their native SLR system.

And since that start I never felt I would be better off with any of the other brands.
There was a time when I would neither have bought a new Pentax camera, nor invested in any of the competition. This was the era of cheap plastic AF cameras and budget lenses. I did not really trust in any of the AF systems, and found the viewfinder of these cameras terrible. Nevertheless, I could not withstand at a sell-out where I bought a new Z10 with the 28-80 power zoom kit for the equivalent of $ 85. I was never really happy with that combo, as the IQ of this lens was not up to what I expected, and the much better lenses I used with the Super A were difficult to focus with that viewfinder.

I started late with DSLRs (2009) because I did not want an expensive DSLR with much less resolution than ISO 100 film.

And today?
I still don't like the viewfinders of any APS-C DSLR. I will now make the step and change the screens of the K-5 and the *istDS also (I did it with the K200D)
FF cameras are still too expensive and too heavy for me.
Electronic viewfinders are definitely not for me, and for my eyes.
Viewing on a back LCD is ok for small and light cameras, I use it with the Optios S5i, A30, A40, and the Lumix DMC-LX5. But I would not feel comfortable with a body/lens much bigger and heavier than the Lumix.

So any system would have to follow the same principles as Pentax, so why jump?
I am very satisfied with the K-5. Despite the fact that the viewfinder is still not even near to a Super A or ME Super (but that's APS-C + AF, nothing can be done).
I still would like better a FF camera which is smaller and lighter than the K-5, but that is not possible with today's technology.

Last edited by RKKS08; 09-12-2018 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Typing
09-11-2018, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first autofocus camera was a Pentax and so when digital finally found me in 2007 I looked around for another and the K-7 was newly launched. I tried other cameras in the store - the the K-7 just felt right.
Now, the menu system and, that dreaded word "ergonomics", of Pentax just seem logical to my mind and perfectly fit my hands.
I have still tried other brands - my wife shoots Nikon - the cameras she has had just felt like lumps to me; a good friend shoots Canon and I fail completely to understand how anyone can use them at all I've never come across menus that illogical, anywhere.

Of course, the lenses play a big part but, to me, it's the feel of the camera as you hold it that is most important - especially for those of us who are not in this for a business but enjoyment and challenge only.
09-11-2018, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you for your responses! You certainly have helped to confirm my belief in Pentax gear. It's sure nice to know that there are so many others on this forum who have very valid reasons for their continued decision to use Pentax systems.
09-11-2018, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #86
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
But the objective view would have to be, that developments have slowed down to a degree not befitting a large camera and lenses maker
I meant to comment on this, but forgot to in my last response...

So, do you (or did you, in recent times - the last few years, for example) see Pentax as a "large camera and lens maker"? That's quite interesting, as it's not how I see it - and maybe that's in part why we see things differently.

I see Pentax as very much a niche player - similar to, though obviously not the same as, Leica. I don't know how Ricoh Imaging's employee numbers compare to someone like Nikon, Canon or Sony, but I'd hazard a guess that they're significantly lower, and have been for some years now. Which leads me to wonder if the perception of Pentax as a "large camera and lens maker" might be rooted in its earlier prominence in film photography, when in fact its current incarnation is of a very different scale (and has been for several years). Maybe this is one reason why a relatively small section of Pentax users expect a great deal more from the brand than is currently on offer...
09-11-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

No other company has come up with a good reason to make me want to go through the pain of switching systems. Fuji has come the closest, but they need to have an SLR X body option to get me to consider investing more into them. If they close the doors tomorrow, I’ll buy a few K1 bodies to last me the rest of my life and will keep on shooting with what I have.
09-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Why Do YOU Stay With Pentax?
I have a K-3 II and a set of good lenses -- contemporary and vintage -- covering focal lengths 15-300mm. I've learned how to use the gear effectively and how to post-process Pentax image files. I have only a few quibbles about my gear (e.g., need to do AF fine adjustments), but generally I'm very happy and satisfied with it.

I would consider another brand when:

- I can be convinced that another brand or kit could result in significant improvements in my photographs, or
- I find that there is something missing in my equipment for my photographic interests and style.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-11-2018 at 02:56 PM.
09-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Why do I stick with Pentax ? Probably because of reliability, durability and the camera/lens' ability to produce excellent quality photographs. I know the photographer is a key element in producing top photographs, but the photographer needs proper tools and in my estimation Pentax equipment are very good tools.

I started with Pentax equipment in '68 and since then, I've bought or been very fortunate to acquire through the kindness of others , two K mount 35 SLRs, 2 screw mount 35 mm SLR's, and 4 DSLR's...K10D, Km, K5, K1. All work, all were bought new. That's a good record for 50 years +.

I'm happy with Takumar, later Pentax lenses,

If some pictures haven't turned out well over all this time on the odd occasion, it's invariably been the fault of the operator, not the machine(s).

What more could anyone ask from camera equipment.

I've also got and bought other equipment...Leica RF 35mm (bought very used and very old...have you seen the price of a new Leica , Mamiya and Yashica TLR, Canon film SLR and digital (G12), Olympus Clamshell, etc. But my main system has always been Pentax....SLR and DSLR.

Twice I thought of switching to Nikon. In '74 or '75, almost bought a new old stock Nikon F Photomic with a 50mm Nikkor F 1.4, but instead got my Pentax ES ll and in 2007..almost went digital with a Nikon DSLR, but then the K10D came out and I got that.. In 2017 thought about getting a new old stock Canon 5D3 with a 24-105 L, but got my K1 and 28-105.

I'm very impressed with my K1 ...low light performance is wonderful. I put the camera on FF and use my 40 and 70 Limited...wow..those lenses are good, either on ASP-C or FF.

I like the ergonomics and rugged feel of the Pentax body . My hope is that Ricoh keeps on making the Pentax line to the same high standard they presently do. I don't know what their marketing plan is, but they seem to come out with quality products on a semi regular basis and it's fine with me.

I know the new bandwagon of mirrorless full framers (Canon R/Nikon Z series) is at a peak with recent introductions . I'm sure some will switch camera makes and models as the FF mirrorless will no doubt, in their mind be the latest, greatest thing. I've known some photographers that have switched from Nikon models to the newest Canon models and then to Fuji and vice versa..inside of a couple of years...as they want to have the latest, possibly greatest camera equipment.

I'm not one of them. I find I still don't know all the ins and outs and potential of my K10D and I've had that camera for 11, going on 12 years now. To me it's about upgrading my skills as a photographer , rather than 'upgrading' camera equipment and somehow hoping that my photographs will be better as a result.

That's why I've stuck with Pentax...or on the other hand, maybe it's just a question that you can't teach an old dog like me..new tricks with new toys.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-11-2018 at 03:19 PM.
09-11-2018, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I find I still don't know all the ins and outs and potential of my K10D and I've had that camera for 11, going on 12 years now. To me it's about upgrading my skills as a photographer , rather than 'upgrading' camera equipment and somehow hoping that my photographs will be better as a result.
Exactly the same with my K10D. And as it happens I have just been reading my K-1's instruction book out of curiosity for how to turn on the little LEDs to illuminate the card slots etc, despite the fact I have had the K-1 for a year, never used those LEDs and am never likely to. While I was there I also discovered there are two ways to change the ISO setting (why two?) and no doubt there are a lot of other tricks too. I don't care, and I generally stick to manual, Av, and X for flash. Do people really want to keep climbing learning curves by changing their kit? I can climb learning curves but have better things to do.

Then there is the money angle : I'm not hard up but the idea of ditching a relatively recent system (for a poor re-sale price) for a new one at the cost of several Ģ1000's, just because of some paid reviewer's say-so, seems so profligate to me. I do my research first (on a car, camera, computer etc) and then stick with my decision. I get "loyal" to stuff and look after it - had my last car for 17 years and was sad to let it go.