Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I understand where you're coming from.

However, you can knock number 3 off your list. I use a Matin LCD loupe which cost me under GBP 50 (less than a Tenpa eyepiece at today's prices). I'm sure it's not as good as the higher-priced, better quality products, but that doesn't concern me, as it works very well indeed. The quality of the optics really doesn't matter here, as you're only concerned with being able to tell if the subject is accurately focused on the LCD screen. The optics in the Matin loupe are more than good enough for that. And in any case, it's a very well-made product. I have no complaints, and I'm quite a fussy guy

As for number 2, yes - live view drains battery more quickly. But with this method, you get pin-sharp focusing every time... no having to take two or three shots to get one you're happy with. I can quickly achieve very accurate focus with a Helios 85mm f/1.5 lens wide open 99% of the time on my first shot using live view and the loupe.

Which leaves us with number 1. As I said, it's not an elegant solution ergonomically, and I really didn't like the look of it, or the feel of it in use, at first. After a while, though... well, I still didn't like it But I liked the results enough that I learned to live with it. It's pretty clear that manual focus work is important to you, so - given the modest cost - I think you should at least consider it...
I am, it's not completely struck off the board. However, I already feel that I don't do too bad with flipping the LV screen up, monopodding etc and in regards to cost I just meant in a sense that I already spent $120 on a Tenpa to improve focus, adding a loupe starts to add cost onto the whole 'better focus' thing, especially if I am also considering a Tenpa 1.36! But yes a loupe isn't bad value for money, I just meant for me the reason I haven't added one to the cart is due to the fact it costs something and isn't free .