Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #1

Help with my intermittently dead K100D?

I bought a K100D a little over a year ago as my first DSLR. I've liked it a lot, and it worked well for me as a dabbling hobbyist/newb. In the past couple days, though, I've run into a problem:

When I turn on the unit, it will initially work fine for a few shots. Then it will seem to kinda.. freak out. The LCD will stop updating, and the shutter will no longer fire. If I turn the camera off and then back on, the LCD will not come back on, but after a few seconds *some* of the appropriate data will show on the top display, but not all -- for example, the available picture count for the SDCard does not show. Also, when I first turn on the unit, it will make a dull, quiet double-clicking noise that is not present when it works normally.

*Sometimes*, if I pull the SDCard or batteries, it will return the camera to normal. Not always, though. I've been unable to determine a particular action that causes this, and changing batteries, lenses, and SDCards doesn't seem to make a difference.

Update: I've found that the unit will just *lock up*, and go into the "problem" mode I'm having, even if I'm just sitting in the menu system. Pulling the SDCard for a few seconds and re-inserting after powering off does seem to fix the issue pretty consistently, if only for a few minutes.

Any thoughts on this, other than to ship it back for repair? I have a family trip to Disneyworld in three days, so if I do send it, I'll not have the camera at all, and with it working intermittently, I'm a little reluctant to give up completely.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

-Ed

Last edited by funkatron; 09-21-2008 at 03:35 PM.
09-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How are the contacts where the lens meets the body? Have you tried cleaning them?
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funkatron Quote
I bought a K100D a little over a year ago as my first DSLR. I've liked it a lot, and it worked well for me as a dabbling hobbyist/newb. In the past couple days, though, I've run into a problem:

When I turn on the unit, it will initially work fine for a few shots. Then it will seem to kinda.. freak out. The LCD will stop updating, and the shutter will no longer fire. If I turn the camera off and then back on, the LCD will not come back on, but after a few seconds *some* of the appropriate data will show on the top display, but not all -- for example, the available picture count for the SDCard does not show. Also, when I first turn on the unit, it will make a dull, quiet double-clicking noise that is not present when it works normally.

*Sometimes*, if I pull the SDCard or batteries, it will return the camera to normal. Not always, though. I've been unable to determine a particular action that causes this, and changing batteries, lenses, and SDCards doesn't seem to make a difference.

Update: I've found that the unit will just *lock up*, and go into the "problem" mode I'm having, even if I'm just sitting in the menu system. Pulling the SDCard for a few seconds and re-inserting after powering off does seem to fix the issue pretty consistently, if only for a few minutes.

Any thoughts on this, other than to ship it back for repair? I have a family trip to Disneyworld in three days, so if I do send it, I'll not have the camera at all, and with it working intermittently, I'm a little reluctant to give up completely.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

-Ed
Suggestion: Get a pair of 3V Lit batt and see if it helps

Daniel
09-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote

Daniel
I also think this is a battery issue. I had constant trouble with alkalines and NiMH rechargeables. Lithiums were very reliable but a bit pricey for long term use. I use Rayovac Hybrids now and they're great.

09-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote

Daniel
I will double-check, but I'm pretty sure I am using energizer "Ultimate Lithium" AA batteries (along with others I've tried). Is there another brand/model of battery I should specifically try?
09-22-2008, 06:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
How are the contacts where the lens meets the body? Have you tried cleaning them?
Everything seems quite clean – no corrosion or visible dirt/dust. I can certainly give it a once-over, though.
09-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you try an other sd card

09-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lequynorm Quote
Did you try an other sd card
Yes, I did, and it does not seem to help.
09-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funkatron Quote
I will double-check, but I'm pretty sure I am using energizer "Ultimate Lithium" AA batteries (along with others I've tried). Is there another brand/model of battery I should specifically try?
Ok. Contacts, batt and card issue have been eliminated. Try direct DC supply into the camera and fire it up. Hope it works ?

It sickens me that yours breaks down just out of warranty. In Canada, our costs includes an auto one more year of warranty

Daniel