Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Equally precious story!

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I agree Carl. Precious story. One day hopefully she'll find this thread and recall the guiding hand of a father.

I did something remotely similar with my daughter when she was almost two. I went into her room (with no agenda) and with both of us sitting on the floor, plopped three 35mm SLRs on the rug. After gently touching and "playing" with them, she stuck with wanting to hold onto my best and favorite camera at that time, a Nikon F3HP (with a 50mm f/1.4). I loaded it with film, then took some of the most natural portraits of her that I still have today, 24 years later.

In 2016 she graduated with a BFA from Emily Carr University of Art & Design in Vancouver and will probably work on her graduate degree in Edinburgh next year. It will be interesting to see what your daughter pursues as a young adult ten years from now.
Man, thanks for sharing this in return! How awesome and proud you must be of her. I can only hope right now at least she grows up and finds her success in the way your daughter has. These kind of stories really bring something personal to photography. Really made my morning reading this.

Carl

---------- Post added 09-13-2018 at 08:40 AM ----------

So many awesome replies on this post. I've read them all .

dafbp- great idea! I almost posted a couple of pics in the initial post, I'll try to update this thread over the weekend. I have a trip out to Joshua Tree tomorrow so early bedtime tonight.

Kiwizinho- How cute, thats a great moment too. She was all excited to be like Daddy! awesome!

09-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #17
Banned

Look out for a bumblebee, panda or smurf K-01 and your daughter will love it.
09-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
It's actually interesting to observe the things she likes taking photos of, as they're sometimes not things I might consider.
It is fun watching them play. My youngest one wanted to try some photography and I figured why not. So I stuck the SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 on the K-2000, put fresh batteries in it, put it in auto, and give him some basic pointers to avoid getting truly awful results and let him play. I ended up with a bunch of minimum focal distance shots of things, mostly his lego creations with a few other shots of things around the house. Sat with him and went through them all and discussed what worked and what didn't and then let him play some more. The second round of pictures were much better even if they were different from what I would have taken a picture of.
09-13-2018, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

this settles it, my next camera is a K3ii, hopefully silver!

09-13-2018, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL look out DPReview!

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
this settles it, my next camera is a K3ii, hopefully silver!
Children reviews are the new objective analysis, now how to get around the child labor law
09-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder what she would have done with color options
Attached Images

09-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #22

This is one of the sweetest things I've read lately.

09-13-2018, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #23

Dpreview needs to incorporate your method into their reviews
09-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Wow, she knows her stuff. Are you planning to visit NYC anytime? She would probably love B&H
09-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

How does it feel to be raising geniuses? Who can review cameras with a useful background no less!
09-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Just sharing, I thought this was precious!
Thanks for sharing. I agree! You (and she) are quite fortunate to have that much of a selection to try out. Let us know how the progression of the DSLR goes with her. Sometimes youth will see differently than adults and actually capture some compelling photos, if for no other reason than they are at a different place than we are.
09-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Totally agree :)

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Thanks for sharing. I agree! You (and she) are quite fortunate to have that much of a selection to try out. Let us know how the progression of the DSLR goes with her. Sometimes youth will see differently than adults and actually capture some compelling photos, if for no other reason than they are at a different place than we are.
Welcome!

She's been photographing since she was 5. I think it helps that I make it a point to not push photography on her, I ask her every once in a while if she wants to hike and get some pictures of flowers and birds. That usually does it, then she can't stop taking pictures.

Her motor skills improved dramatically from 5-7yrs of age as well as her cognition, and both of those have really helped her to frame well and make pleasing images. She's done some great stuff with a superzoom camera imho for her age and such .
09-15-2018, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Her motor skills improved dramatically from 5-7yrs of age as well as her cognition, and both of those have really helped her to frame well and make pleasing images. She's done some great stuff with a superzoom camera imho for her age and such .
Great to hear. The motor skills will likely continue to develop for years to come. Your approach to encourage without pushing is a good one, I think. My daughter, with my old K100d Super and a DA 40, took some photos while just hanging about the house and they were probably better than most of my attempts. You gotta wonder.....
09-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #29
Pentaxian

We just got back from a vacation and my 5yo son fell completely in love with using the blue K-S1, to the point that he said he wants to be "one of those people who takes pictures all day" when he grows up.

Nice story about your daughter! That was very sweet.