Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 08:31 PM - 14 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
5 Pentax DSLRs- My 7yr Old Daughter Picks Only One

"There can be only one"

Yep, just like the thread title says, my 7yr old daughter, who has been using cameras since she was five, picked her favorite.

Since I've re-acquired a few Pentax items of late, I had an idea. I was curious what she would think of five different Pentax DSLR's. She hasn't seen any of the five before tonight's test, so it was to be a blind spontaneous test.

I laid out all five in front of her with a lens attached, and asked her to pick up each one (in the order she chooses) to take one or two pictures with each. Then move to the next one and do the same. She gladly picked up each one, and even made a request for different lenses on two of them (she didn't like the long focus throw of the 35mm macro LTD .. haha!). I obliged her, and let her reshoot. I only answered questions during the test. I did not influence her decision at all.

At the end of the test she picked her favorites and why, her words!

#5- KS2 - It came in last because she picked the four others first. She didn't have much to say other than it had pretty round lights in it.
#4- K50 - "The grip is a little big and slippery for me"
#3- K70 - "I like this one Daddy"
#2- K5IIs- "I like how it feels in my hand, and its quiet. It feels strong in my hand"
#1- K3II - "Its the prettiest one. It feels the best in my hand. It feels the strongest"

After it was done, she picked up the K5IIs (ironically) and took about 20 pictures of the house. And then said "Dad, I'm sure I like the silver one best (K3II). I just had to try this other one out again. Its the quietest and the silver one is second quietest. Can I try that one for a while?" So I told her to be extra careful with it, but that she could. She made about 30 images with it, most of me and her star wars lego collections. She seemed fascinated by it for whatever reason. And lastly she added that the K3II was the easiest for her to shoot with of all five.

I thought that it was interesting that she picked the most advanced camera out of all of them, and said it was the easiest to shoot with.

Just sharing, I thought this was precious!

-Carl

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1254  Photo 
09-12-2018, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

That settles it ! Now we know for sure which one is the Best !
I was quite surprised she didn't pick the K-S2 !
09-12-2018, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
See all that glitters....is silver ( gold )

Nice story and collection

Dave
09-12-2018, 09:23 PM - 9 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Well, duh; the K-3ii has the DA15 on it. It’s controling her mind.

09-12-2018, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Of Course it is

I didn't look to see what the choice of lens to camera was

Dave
09-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Me too

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
That settles it ! Now we know for sure which one is the Best !
I was quite surprised she didn't pick the K-S2 !
Like you I thought she'd pick the KS2 hands down. Smaller, lighter, and LIGHTS. Nope!...

But at least it settled now, lol.

---------- Post added 09-12-2018 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
LOL Kozlok, no doubt.

---------- Post added 09-12-2018 at 10:36 PM ----------

Btw, sorry for the cruddy mobile pic, should have used a real camera for that, but it was a quick snap decision to post this here
09-12-2018, 10:45 PM - 2 Likes   #7

No K200D in the test? The test was rigged! I cry foul!

09-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice story. I wonder if she chose the K3 ll as it is the only camera to be be silver ?
09-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
"There can be only one"

Yep, just like the thread title says, my 7yr old daughter, who has been using cameras since she was five, picked her favorite.

Just sharing, I thought this was precious!

-Carl
I agree Carl. Precious story. One day hopefully she'll find this thread and recall the guiding hand of a father.

I did something remotely similar with my daughter when she was almost two. I went into her room (with no agenda) and with both of us sitting on the floor, plopped three 35mm SLRs on the rug. After gently touching and "playing" with them, she stuck with wanting to hold onto my best and favorite camera at that time, a Nikon F3HP (with a 50mm f/1.4). I loaded it with film, then took some of the most natural portraits of her that I still have today, 24 years later.

In 2016 she graduated with a BFA from Emily Carr University of Art & Design in Vancouver and will probably work on her graduate degree in Edinburgh next year. It will be interesting to see what your daughter pursues as a young adult ten years from now.
09-13-2018, 02:51 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Carl, your post put a big smile on my face this morning. Great idea, great story!
09-13-2018, 03:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story - enjoyed it!

My initial bet would have been the KS2 as well.

Well done encouraging here too!
09-13-2018, 03:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Great story. I also have an almost 7 year daughter, who is quite keen on cameras, but I don't have the luxury of such a selection to offer her. I do remember when she was about 3 or 4 or maybe even younger she came to the top of the stairs with my K-x of the time around her neck, with a 70-300 lens on it smiling at me, and I was panicking thinking camera and daughter might lose their balance and topple down the stairs together.
I didn't let her know how worried I was and quietly managed to convince her to give me the camera.
It's actually interesting to observe the things she likes taking photos of, as they're sometimes not things I might consider.
09-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #13

Brilliant!!
It also says a lot about the ergonomics of the K3 that a child prefers it to the others with a smaller grip, which you'd expect were better suited to small hands.
Great fun reading it. Any chance of seeing those Lego pictures?
09-13-2018, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting. I'm always interested in the opinions of the little people. They see things differently than we do.
09-13-2018, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent, most comprehensible comparative test I've seen for a while - never mind the features, does it feel right in your hands.

+1 for seeing the results