Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II died. What should I do?

My K-3 II died yesterday while I was shooting at a wedding (I had another K-3 II with me).

The camera works in every way except these (from what I've been able to tell so far):
- Default screen on rear display is black.
- I can't enter WB, flash, drive mode or picture style screens.
- I can't double press Info, to change screen mode.
- I can't enter the menu.
- I can't auto focus (but I can take photos - and, the camera will AF constantly when I change to Auto mode).
- I can't change ISO.
- I can't enter Live View - but movie recording works/enables LV.

I've tried replacing the battery, cards, lenses, pressing all buttons and whatnot.

The camera is 3 years old and I'm guestimating it has some 150k actuations behind it - considering this, what would you recommend I do?

1. Send it in for repairs and use my older K-30 as replacement till I get the K-3 II back.

2. Buy a new or second hand K-3 II

3. Buy a newer camera (KP)

4. Use the K-30 and wait till new APS-C flagship is announced. I think this will end up taking too long.

I think getting a KP is the best option. I can buy it in a nearby shop (the ONLY shop that sells Pentax in the entire country!) tomorrow and because I can add a battery grip to it, which allows me to use D-LI90 batteries. With the grip, the cost will get up there or close to K-3 II, but KP has better ISO performance, which I fancy a lot. Also KP has a noticeable better hit rate with continuous focusing.

I'm hesitating though because KP uses D-LI109 batteries and I cant get a grip right away and, the smaller buffer bothers me.

I already have 2 D-LI109 batteries and 2 chargers. And because I have 14 D-LI90 batteries and 8 chargers I prefer to be able to use these.

I have my last high-season wedding tomorrow, and then again a month from now.

What would you suggest I do?

My biggest reason for asking is because there's no ideal camera in the lineup. K-1 would be nice, but then I'd need a whole bunch of lenses as well. That's not going to happen.

Ps. If you have suggestions for what I can try with the camera to see if it will boot again, then please fire away.

09-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My vote goes to the KP. Image quality is cool, and it's very small and sleek. Took me quite some time to warm up to it, but I'm about to buy a second one.
09-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing I would try is a full camera reset if you can get into the menus.
09-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
2. Buy a new or second hand K-3 II
See if the shop will loan/rent you a KP so you can do a side-by-side to see if the AF and high ISO performance are worth the hit in battery life, FPS, etc. In the mean time, see if you can find a K-3II (new).

Steve

09-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You mention about another shooting tomorrow, hope your K30 still work well or get a new body before then.

I am not sure how much difference in price of used K3II and KP in where you live. I would go for K3 used if it is half (or less) of KP
KP is not a bad choice but I feel like:
1.Having similar or same body for work use can be easier because function and buttons layout are identical, and it sure will work with all of your gadgets like flash etc.
2. it is about time for Pentax to come up with a new flagship. When the new flagship come out, the KP price will move down, but I guess K3 price won’t go any lower because it is already very low.
09-13-2018, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
mee
Veteran Member

Single card slot on the KP, something maybe to keep in mind if you shoot weddings often.
09-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

With 150k actuations I wouldn't bother with repair. You've already figured out the K-3ii and KP strengths and weaknesses; only you can decide if the single card and different battery are acceptable to get the KP's better noise and AF.

I wouldn't rush out to buy the KP tomorrow; allow time to get familiar with a new camera before using it for a paid shoot. Therefore, since you already have a familiar K-3ii and K-30, get by with that combo for tomorrow. You'll then have 4 weeks to order a K-3ii or KP+grip.

With respect to your malfunctioning K-3ii, I don't expect any of this to actually fix it, but it's free to try:
  • Try shooting without a memory card. Maybe that will trigger something in a different way and let you get into the menu, then do a factory reset.
  • Try a soft reset by leaving the battery out for a few days. I think 3 days should be enough but I'm not certain. When you restart it would normally ask you to enter the date and time. See if that's enough to get things to start responding.

09-13-2018, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As great as the KP's image quality is, if you are shooting weddings I would stick with another K-3 II for the larger battery and bigger buffer. I'd hold off on upgrading until the true K-3 II replacement is released.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
KP's better noise and AF.
The AF should be the same as in the K-3 II (both of which have improved tracking over the original K-3).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried a reset to factory defaults? It's a long shot, but maybe worth a try.
09-14-2018, 01:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Don't wait for successor to K-3ii thats for sure.
K-3 or K-3ii would be my choice.
09-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hi Zafar,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have seen some of your work on the web, and you are so good at what you do. I would in your situation go for a new or used K-3/K-3 II. That is what you had (and have) and know so well. Anything else would only be a distraction.

Hope you find a good solution.

Best regards,
Lars
09-14-2018, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your camera failure.

In your situation, I would buy a lightly-used K-3II to replace what you already had, or even a K-3 if you don't need the II's additional features. Buying used will factor in the initial depreciation, you'll be able to use the same batteries, remotes etc. Given that you use the camera for paid work, I wouldn't be experimenting with a new model (especially one with just a single SDHC slot). You want complete familiarity with the camera, IMHO.

It will be a little while before we see the K-3II replacement, I think, so you're better off buying a good used body now.
09-14-2018, 03:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sorry to hear about your camera failure.

In your situation, I would buy a lightly-used K-3II to replace what you already had, or even a K-3 if you don't need the II's additional features. Buying used will factor in the initial depreciation, you'll be able to use the same batteries, remotes etc. Given that you use the camera for paid work, I wouldn't be experimenting with a new model (especially one with just a single SDHC slot). You want complete familiarity with the camera, IMHO.

It will be a little while before we see the K-3II replacement, I think, so you're better off buying a good used body now.
My thoughts exactly. To the OP: As much as I like my KP, in your circumstances I would go for a K3ii.
09-14-2018, 03:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Replace the K-3 II by a K3 or K3-II.
09-14-2018, 03:31 AM   #15

Have you tried taking out the battery for several minutes? Over night if you can?