Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Don't waste too much time on that wish. Until the EU changes its import tax regime for video cameras, even The Mighty Sony will keep that time limit built in.
Which is why I said I don't mind having to buy an external recorder. You can circumvent this limit in other devices as long as they have clean video out. Removing the overlays is a software change, requiring no new technology.

I know Pentax isn't focusing on video, but even then they are offering little upgrades to video capabilities with each new release. I even recall promises from when the KP came out that they were going to do a firmware update in the KP & K1 to bring back real SR in video mode. It got forgotten about, but it shows what they were thinking about at least.

All that said, I really wouldn't be that surprised if clean video out appears in their next release.

09-14-2018, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think one feature would ever be enough for me to upgrade.

The problem with features is they often don't perform as you imagined or come with some sort of disadvantage (e.g. double the resolution but worse high ISO performance).

Plus I'm still the biggest bottleneck in the quality of my photos - not my camera gear.
09-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I would say high ISO performance for sure. In fact, I am upgrading my camera soon and that is one of the reasons for it...
09-15-2018, 01:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Better images at high ISO, better AF and lighter body. And of course, CASH! NO CASH MEANS I CAN'T BUY A NEW CAMERA. ������

09-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #20

A built-in bottle opener would make any Pentax body perfect.
09-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
... of course, CASH! NO CASH MEANS I CAN'T BUY A NEW CAMERA. ������
I know exactly what you mean. Today I had a (very) brief play with a Nikon Zeven* plus 35mm and handed it back to the rep with a light heart, knowing I hadn't the means to even consider buying it or any other shiny new gear.

I am, however watching the trees and other foliage approaching their autumn colours and looking for new opportunities to make images.

(*that's the really expensive one – although less expensive, the Zix is likewise out of reach)
09-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

After recently acquiring a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, I have now convinced myself that I absolutely need a camera with focus peaking. Using the optical viewfinder on my K-x or K200D is a non-starter when you are wearing glasses. A split image focusing screen might help. The live view on the K-x helps a lot but is not the complete answer. Also, more megapixels would be good.

09-16-2018, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Canid Quote
Is there a single feature that would prompt you to upgrade?
I'm really quite old school, I only change when my existing kit fails to do what I need it to.

To give my Pentax brand example, I went from K20Ds straight to K1s, as they offered the FF that I had waited for Pentax to offer.

Up until then the K20D's still provided for my needs, all right with some obvious limitations for sure. But I'm one to work the problem to resolve the issues with kit I have in hand, not to find excuses to not get the results.

That's probably just as well as I'd be out of job, if you don't bring back the images your sent out or commissioned to do.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 09-16-2018 at 09:48 AM.
09-16-2018, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Real-time AI-driven evaluation of my photos. Preferably with a points system and a (mandatory) audio feedback in the style of cheesy Android puzzle games. This way I, and everyone around me, would know how awesome I am when my camera shouts:

"Awesome!!!"
"Wicked!!!"
"Nice Bokeh!!!!"
"Rule of Thirds and Complimentary Colour COMBO!!! +1000"

That would be a game changer for me. Otherwise, I'm happy with my k5iis, it does what I need. When I eventually upgrade, I'll mostly be looking forward to minor improvements and hopefully a few whiz-bang high-tech features I'm seeing in other models that would ease my workflow (the stuff that's nice but not mandatory to have).
09-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without a doubt automatic focus stacking for macros. Life is too short to do it manually and Olympus seems to have it, so why not Pentax.
09-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Does anyone else have a similar "need"?
Low light high iso capability. The more the better, in the APS C line. Second, I think I'm relying on the top LCD a lot.
09-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Second, I think I'm relying on the top LCD a lot.
I also use my top LCD extensively, and would be loathe to give it up. That said, the crippled one on the K-1 does not appeal to me - I need the EV compensation scale for it to be really useful.

As I side note, the top LCD on my K7 gave me a new reason to be impressed this year... I set up a camera trap with it outside for a couple days in the winter. The camera got litterally iced over, and the back LCD stopped working (until I brought it in to warm up), but the camera was still functional, and the top LCD kept going so I could dial in settings and keep using it.
09-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I really like the high ISO performance on my K1, as I do a lot of low light photography. Also the flexible monitor I like, the full frame. I came from my K5 and although the K5 is a great camera...the upgrades in the areas I mentioned were motivating enough to me to get a K1. Still have the K5, mostly attached to my Sigma 150-500 and still have my K10D...great camera in 100-400, 800 ISO.

As far as the video feature goes... I have only used my video on my K1...and my K5 and Canon G 12 for that matter..once...to make sure it worked...for warranty purposes, in case I needed to get it fixed under warranty. They all worked, but I'm a still photographer, so it's not an important feature to me.
09-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I don't have an old camera, it's a k3ii, but... It would be much faster frame rates in AF-C, comparable to 8 fps in AF-S, along with card write speeds to support it for raw on both cards. I know I'm probably asking for something that'd drive the cost up significantly. Otherwise I think I'll use my k3ii for as long as it works, I like what I get from it.
09-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Don't waste too much time on that wish. Until the EU changes its import tax regime for video cameras, even The Mighty Sony will keep that time limit built in. The EU classes cameras able to record 30 minutes or more of video as "video cameras" which attract a higher rate of duty than ILCs.
It's a very small tax to begin with . Panasonic has chosen to make different versions for different markets. For example, the US version of the DC-GX85 can record nearly 2 hours i 4K at 100 Mbps. The video qualit yruns circles around my K-1 II, at 1/4th of the price.

---------- Post added 09-16-18 at 03:05 PM ----------

All that said, I really wouldn't be that surprised if clean video out appears in their next release.
In a Pentax ? I wish, but I wouldn't hold my breath.