Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Is there a single feature that would prompt you to upgrade?

This is aimed more at those who don't feel the need to have the latest and greatest (ie, those who are still happily clicking with their K10D's and K7's).

I picked Pentax partly for the longevity of the equipment (build quality and sealing) and as much as I've drooled over each new camera they released, I have reminded myself each time that my old equipment still does what I need.

That said, there is one thing that would prompt me to pick up a new body before my old one has kicked the bucket, and that is the ability to record video for over 30 minutes. I don't mind having to buy an external recorder to do it - clean video out without overheating would be enough - but that feature alone would justify my next DSLR.

Does anyone else have a similar "need"?

09-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i have only used the video function once on my K1 in two years.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canid Quote
and as much as I've drooled over each new camera they released, I have reminded myself each time that my old equipment still does what I need.
This should be writ large on every equipment site. It is the photographer that makes the image, not the camera.
09-14-2018, 10:30 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I've already done it. I have a perfectly good K50 with an ist D as a back up. Then they brought out the KS-2 with that flipscreen. Had to have it
No more kneeling down with a 90 degree finder. Worth every penny.
09-14-2018, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This should be writ large on every equipment site. It is the photographer that makes the image, not the camera.
This statement is over-used.
When I'm photographing squirrels running through the forest, my aiming the camera at them does no good if the camera can't focus on them or if it can't simultaneously give me the shutter speed and aperture I need.

Better AF and better high-ISO are both attractive to me.

09-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would be surprised if I fell for a single feature in my upgrade decision from, say, my current K-3. I would usually look for a meaningful upgrade, one that I could justify within the family budget, and one that would give me a significant plus in image quality, made a major difference in my keeper rate or certain kinds of shots a lot easier, or let me go with my photography where I couldn't have gone before.

I will say, however, that seeing a feature like focus stacking and/or bracketing in a K-3 II successor would get me pretty excited about it. Markedly better tracking AF or even eye focus would also be highly tempting, in my book.
09-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My Pentax upgrade path was K-r to K-5 to K-1. Each time, my main urge to upgrade was better low light for night landscapes and astrophotography. The K-5 to K-1 had a hidden bonus of a less aggressive IR filter for better reds from nebula.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 09-14-2018 at 01:04 PM.
09-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've gone from Pentax k50 to K3 to K1. Still have all three. I can not think of any features that, for me, would entice me to another body at this point in time. That includes anything from another brand also. There just isn't anything anybody has that, for my imagery, I don't already have.

09-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've gone from K-x to K-5 to K-3. Substantially better AF and high ISO performance would get me to upgrade again.
09-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
i have only used the video function once on my K1 in two years.
I've said this before, but when I bought my K7, its video capabilities were highly competitive with other DSLRs, and were a factor in my decision.

I've been using the K7 for video much more frequently the past couple years. I don't have the budget to switch systems and I dont want to carry two cameras on my photo/video outings, so I've been working within the limitations of my equipment. If pentax released a camera with clean video out, I'd leap on it.... I would be soooo happy.
09-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...there is one thing that would prompt me to pick up a new body before my old one has kicked the bucket, and that is the ability to record video for over 30 minutes.
Don't waste too much time on that wish. Until the EU changes its import tax regime for video cameras, even The Mighty Sony will keep that time limit built in. The EU classes cameras able to record 30 minutes or more of video as "video cameras" which attract a higher rate of duty than ILCs.

I don't long to upgrade my camera body half so much as I'd like more good glass to hang off the present one.
09-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

One single feature? no.

But with a 10 FPS, 100 shot buffer. Better tracking AF, and Selectable focus points that fill close to the entire APS-c frame...bring it on. Leave on of those off and, I doubt it.

My K-3 is pretty darn good.
And those features in a 36 MP FF would be lights out awesome. But I wouldn't buy it, it would be D850 money at least.

Last edited by normhead; 09-14-2018 at 01:19 PM.
09-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a KP. I bought when I did because of the price, but the real reasons were the flip screen, the better low light performance, the improvements in autofocus, and other general improvements over the K-50 and K-30 that I have. I mention the autofocus because I also also bought a 55-300 PLM.lens, that combination is great and worth the upgrade. But overall faster autocus is an upgrade reason, I could have got that going to another system, but then you lose other advantages like weather sealing unless you want to spend a lot more money. I do have a Sont a6000 which had the fastest autofocus of any camera when introduced, but it really doesn't seem that much faster than Pentax cameras with the lenses I have.
09-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I recently bought a KP. I bought when I did because of the price, but the real reasons were the flip screen, the better low light performance, the improvements in autofocus, and other general improvements over the K-50 and K-30 that I have. I mention the autofocus because I also also bought a 55-300 PLM.lens, that combination is great and worth the upgrade. But overall faster autocus is an upgrade reason, I could have got that going to another system, but then you lose other advantages like weather sealing unless you want to spend a lot more money. I do have a Sont a6000 which had the fastest autofocus of any camera when introduced, but it really doesn't seem that much faster than Pentax cameras with the lenses I have.
If Pentax would come right out and say no future APS-c flagship was going to be produced I'd buy a K-P right now. But I suspect APS-c still out sells FF by a considerable margin. I just can't imagine Pentax would turn their back on what before the K-1 was their bread and butter, and may still be.

If Tess wanted a K-P we'd buy her one, but it's a win some lose some situation for me with the K-3. It has some things I'd like, it doesn't have some things I'd like. But that being said, it's quite possible the next APS_c camera won't be worth an upgrade for me either. The K-3 just isn't that bad.

I don't care much about all the bells and whistles everyone else has. My decision for a new purchase will be based on what I want to do that I can't figure out a way to do. When you can't do what you want to do, maybe you need a new camera. If indeed what you want to do can be done by any camera. And with some of the demands I see here on the forum, that's not a given.

Some people seem to think the camera should figure out which of the 27 for 33 focal points will give them the best hyperlocal distance for the subject they chose to focus on that moment and completely automate the AF systems and well as select the aperture for the necessary depth of field and the ISO for the desired level of noise cross referenced with the highest possible Dynamic Range for them so they get great images with no effort or forethought.

It might be possible but I'm not paying for it. If you know how to work current cameras and get what you want, there's just nothing out there that will do everything for you, so all you have to do is point the camera and shoot. Most of the stuff you have to learn now, you're always going to have to learn.

Last edited by normhead; 09-14-2018 at 02:17 PM.
09-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Does anyone else have a similar "need"?
Much faster & more accurate autofocus in AF.S mode & a heavily improved AF.C mode that can track very well. Hopefully in the upcoming K-3II replacement. I'll definitely be upgrading then.
09-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #15
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Markedly better tracking AF or even eye focus would also be highly tempting, in my book.
+1 I'm impressed with Sony's work in AF, especially eye-focus. Not that I always do portraiture, but when I do - it would be outrageously helpful.