Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2018, 05:27 AM   #1

Anyone use an Expodisk for a K1 Mark ii or experience with the Expodisk period?

Just picked my K1 mark ii up about a month ago and I am shooting twilight HS football games. Much better results than my old K3 I had but would like to do better.
Spoke with a Canon user who swears by the expodisk especially with changing light with skin tones. Any help would be appreciated.

09-19-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm rather skeptical when someone says a specific tool fixed all the problems with their photography.

Basically looks like the expodisc shifted WB +1000K from the AWB setting. If you like warmer images it is easy to tune AWB with such a bias...wouldn't sandwiching a circular filter paper between to UV filters be just as effective [ and cheaper]

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-19-2018 at 05:55 AM.
09-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #3

I have something like expodisc, same concept, with a handle. At first I thought it helped, but then I realized it was making all my photos too warm. Maybe it would be better at twilight and night, not sure.
09-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A photographer named Photo Joseph did a video recently on it talking about, if you want to watch it:

09-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use one sometimes, and I have found it creates extremely accurate colours. I think it can be difficult to use it correctly however. As I understand it, it needs to be thought of like an incident light meter .... so it has to "see" the source of the light, not the light that reflects from the scene being photographed.

I've also seen colour errors when used wrongly, and it takes some effort to find a practical way to make it see the source of light. So for example, if photographing outdoors in daylight, then I believe its best if you point it upwards towards the open sky, to see the colour of the light that is falling on the scene.

If using bounced flash, say bounced from a wall, I would aim at the wall as the flash fires, not at the subject.

Its well worth the effort for when high colour accuracy is wanted. For general digital photography then I have found for most of my purposes a white balance preset and fine tuning on the camera is good enough.
09-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
I want to thank Digitalis, johnkrumm, Brooke Meyer, disconnekt and mcgregni for helping me out with the expo disk issue. I think I'm going to get one in the near future ($50) and see if it does make a difference. Thanks again everyone!