Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2018, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do Pentax Camera Bodies Hold Their Value Better Than Other Brands?

Recently I sold a Pentax K-70 camera. I owned it for a little less than a year and sold it for exactly what I bought it for.

I'm finding the for the last year or so, the price of excellent used copies of Pentax K-1 cameras have stayed around $1300.

Even good used copies of the old K-5IIS are holding their own and commanding good prices.

Conversely, some other brands seem to decrease dramatically in price once a new and updated body comes out. For example, just today I saw an ad that read - "Trade: Three (3) Fuji X-T1 for One (1) Fuji X-T2".

Also, I've recently sold some Fuji XE-1 bodies. I can't even get $150 for one!

I believe that as a brand, Pentax bodies seem to hold their value a bit better than other brands; maybe it's because they are so reasonably priced when they are new.

Do you agree that Pentax camera bodies seem to hold their value better than Sony, Fuji, Nikon and Canon bodies?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 09-23-2018 at 02:20 PM.
09-23-2018, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lenses even better. Some Pentax lenses sells for 4X new price.....

Pentax is bought by photographers, not gadget freaks.
09-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote

Not so much the DA* glass, at least the zooms, they often sell for half price used.
09-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote

And some Pentax lenses sell for 1/4 new price. It depends on a lot of factors.

Pentax is a small brand. Used prices can be spiky, up or down, because some lenses are rare (increased prices) but also have few potential buyers (lowered prices).

09-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Not so much the DA* glass, at least the zooms, they often sell for half price used.
SDM has a reputation...
09-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I believe that as a brand, Pentax bodies seem to hold their value a bit better than other brands; maybe it's because they are so reasonably priced when they are new.
Exactly. The fact that new prices aren't super inflated makes the gear hold its value well. Another reason is that new versions of the same lens aren't constantly being released.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2018, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

If some sellers on gumtree etc. are to be believed, Pentax gear actually increase in value as the years go by!
09-23-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pentax Zeiss ZK lenses typically sell used for $200 - $300 more than the Canon and Nikon versions do.

09-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Pentax Zeiss ZK lenses typically sell used for $200 - $300 more than the Canon and Nikon versions do.
Probably due to the fact that the ZK is no longer in production and supply is now very limited.
09-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Probably due to the fact that the ZK is no longer in production and supply is now very limited.

Canon ZE and Nikon ZF Zeiss lenses in the "Classic" version/model are also no longer being made. Only the Zeiss "Milvus" line is currently being made. So indeed I was comparing Apples to Apples in my comparision.

Your statement that the Pentax ZK version is very limited is "stating the obvious". Of course the supply of ZK lenses is less than ZE and ZF lenses - Zeiss never made as many lenses in the K mount as they did in the F and EOS mounts!

P.S. in the last 10 years I've owned over 30 copies of Zeiss Classic ZK, ZF and ZE lenses...
09-23-2018, 04:53 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here's an apples with apples comparison.

The Pentax K-3 was around $US1200 (body only) on release in 2013. Its nearest rival was probably the Nikon D7100, at around the same price. Specs are generally comparable: both advanced 24mp APS-C models without a low-pass filter. The Nikon has better AF, the K-3 has IBIS.

The D7100 now goes for around $800-850 at B&H with the 18-140 lens: Used DSLR Cameras | B&H Photo Video
They currently have one K-3 listed, with the DA 18-135 lens, asking $790: Used DSLR Cameras | B&H Photo Video
Very little in it, as I see it.

You could have bought a 300mm f4 with either camera for about the same price. Neither had image stablization (Nikon has since released a model that does). The DA*300 had SLM AF, the Nikkor had Silent Wave Motor. The DA*300 was a newer model and was WR. Image quality is said to be very good on each.

B&H now has the Nikkor AF-S 300mm f4 for $820: Used Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED Lens 1909 B&H Photo
They have a Pentax DA*300mm for $744: Used Pentax SMCP-DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM Autofocus Lens 21760
The Nikkor condition is rated 9 and the Pentax 10.

You would have expected the Nikkor to have fallen more in price, as it has been replaced by a newer, lighter, IS and (by most reviews) much better model in 2016.

So in this example, as I see it, the prices for the Nikon kit have held up at least as well as the Pentax, even though there are more choices in newer model lenses and bodies in the Nikon range than in Pentax.

One area where you do see K-mount lenses at higher prices is where Pentax users are chasing a cheaper third party option, like a Sigma or Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 or a Sigma 50-500mm or 150-500mm. Second hand prices for those lenses in other mounts is kept down by the greater availability of newer third-party models, and more original-brand models on the second-hand market. I guess this is consistent with @Fenwoodian 's example of the Zeiss lenses.

Last edited by Des; 09-23-2018 at 04:59 PM.
09-23-2018, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I think this is precisely the case. A K-3 or K-1 with a Nikon badge would cost 2x-3x brand new.