Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,572
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Are you concerned about batteries?

The K-7/5/3 cameras could share batteries and memory with a K-1.
Yes, I was happy for awhile sharing the batteries of the K-3 with my new K-1ii, but coincidentally, since I also own the K-S2, the K-S2 and the KP share the same batteries so I purchased a couple of Watson replacements (at B&H) and can carry a few around with me (the Watson's are $18 v. the Pentax OEMs for $45)

11-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #32
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,731
Over a number of years, I've had good luck with the Watsons I've bought from B&H, using them interchangeably with the Pentax batteries that came first with my K-r, then K-S2, which I still have and like, and now my KP. I have at least 3 or 4 of them, and bought one for my friends I gave my K-r to as a spare for them. I've never run a test to see how long they last compared to the Pentax originals, but my impression is they are ok.

---------- Post added 11-27-18 at 02:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Mike: Thanks for the viewpoint....I do not own a 50-135mm in a DA APS-c lens, but I may in fact, look at that one....I ended up buying the 40mm XS from Adorama because they were selling it for $149 new. The $350 40mm LTD, based upon the PF comparo was rated no better optically, so I bought the less expensive one for $149--the $200 I saved can go towards the 50-135mm at a later time.
Good thinking! While the DA 18-135mm is a great all-purpose lens and very compact for such zoom range, the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 is a truly great lens for highest quality and more special use. I'd rather have my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 on my KP than haul a 70-200mm f/2.8 on a K-1 or 35mm film body. I really like that combo with my KP and use it a lot, especially for low-light situations and/or high-quality tele. It is marvelously compact for such a lens. And it stays the same dimensions when zooming or focusing. Nothing moves externally when in AF mode, and the AF/MF switch is right by your thumb where you hold it during shooting. But that is just me, the way I see things. Of course, the latter lens on the KP will produce a framed image similar to having a lens of 100-300mm f/2.8 on a FF body- imagine how big that would be!

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-27-2018 at 02:40 PM.
11-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,572
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Over a number of years, I've had good luck with the Watsons I've bought from B&H, using them interchangeably with the Pentax batteries that came first with my K-r, then K-S2, which I still have and like, and now my KP. I have at least 3 or 4 of them, and bought one for my friends I gave my K-r to as a spare for them. I've never run a test to see how long they last compared to the Pentax originals, but my impression is they are ok.

---------- Post added 11-27-18 at 02:37 PM ----------



Good thinking! While the DA 18-135mm is a great all-purpose lens and very compact for such zoom range, the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 is a truly great lens for highest quality and more special use. I'd rather have my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 on my KP than haul a 70-200mm f/2.8 on a K-1 or 35mm film body. I really like that combo with my KP and use it a lot, especially for low-light situations and/or high-quality tele. It is marvelously compact for such a lens. And it stays the same dimensions when zooming or focusing. Nothing moves externally when in AF mode, and the AF/MF switch is right by your thumb where you hold it during shooting. But that is just me, the way I see things. Of course, the latter lens on the KP will produce a framed image similar to having a lens of 100-300mm f/2.8 on a FF body- imagine how big that would be!
Touche': The Watson on my K-S2 performs just as well as the OEM Pentax so on a 2 for 1 cost benefit, I'll continue to use those.
11-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #34
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,916
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
While the DA 18-135mm is a great all-purpose lens and very compact for such zoom range, the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 is a truly great lens for highest quality and more special use. I'd rather have my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 on my KP than haul a 70-200mm f/2.8 on a K-1 or 35mm film body. I really like that combo with my KP and use it a lot, especially for low-light situations and/or high-quality tele. It is marvelously compact for such a lens. And it stays the same dimensions when zooming or focusing. Nothing moves externally when in AF mode, and the AF/MF switch is right by your thumb where you hold it during shooting. But that is just me, the way I see things. Of course, the latter lens on the KP will produce a framed image similar to having a lens of 100-300mm f/2.8 on a FF body- imagine how big that would be!
I shoot a lot more in the 18-49mm range than in the 50-135, so the 18-135 fits my shooting style much better.

11-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,572
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I shoot a lot more in the 18-49mm range than in the 50-135, so the 18-135 fits my shooting style much better.
Reh:

when you're in the 18-49mm (or 27-74mm APS-c crop) do you find that you are enlarging centralized subjects and that can add to noise, etc. on your finished shots?
11-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,731
I think it boils down to people having different shooting styles and needs. Yes, the DA 18-135mm is at its best at its shorter FLs, yet it is also great as an all-arounder when you want to avoid lens changing, and for going compact. Some people have little other need. It is marvelous for a large zoom range, and going from wide to tele instantly. For me, however, I sometimes do need the faster apertures and quality aspects of the DA* 50-135mm lens in the tele zoom range, so I use it then.
11-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,572
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I think it boils down to people having different shooting styles and needs. Yes, the DA 18-135mm is at its best at its shorter FLs, yet it is also great as an all-arounder when you want to avoid lens changing, and for going compact. Some people have little other need. It is marvelous for a large zoom range, and going from wide to tele instantly. For me, however, I sometimes do need the faster apertures and quality aspects of the DA* 50-135mm lens in the tele zoom range, so I use it then.
I also think the 18-135mm is one of the best built versatile lenses one can have in their kit, especially when space limitations require you to travel light...Full spectrum and great Bokeh at portrait depth. With the speed of the KP, I doubt the average f-stops will make much of a difference in low light.
11-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,456
K5 has wonderful rendering, too. That 16MP Sony sensor was special. I should replace my K5, since I could use the extra cropping from the 24MP I get on the K3II but the images from the K5 are just...beautiful. So, I'll carry the K5 with DA300 and K3II with FA100 macro in the field for now...

A used K5 or K5II can be had for cheap now.

Oh, since you have the DA40, consider pairing with the DA21.

11-29-2018, 07:03 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,572
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
K5 has wonderful rendering, too. That 16MP Sony sensor was special. I should replace my K5, since I could use the extra cropping from the 24MP I get on the K3II but the images from the K5 are just...beautiful. So, I'll carry the K5 with DA300 and K3II with FA100 macro in the field for now...

A used K5 or K5II can be had for cheap now.

Oh, since you have the DA40, consider pairing with the DA21.
Ter-OR:

Yes...thanks for the advice. Right now after purchasing the KP, I think I'm out of the camera business for awhile, but I agree that 16.3 mp sensor was/is excellent. I looked at some of my older K-50 photos (with the AA filter) and they are excellent up to about 100% crop. Sharp colorful--classic Pentax rendering.
11-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #40
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,916
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Reh:

when you're in the 18-49mm (or 27-74mm APS-c crop) do you find that you are enlarging centralized subjects and that can add to noise, etc. on your finished shots?
I'm not sure what you mean. 33mm gives me the same view on APS-C that 50mm would give me on FF, so 18-49mm is from wide angle to slightly telephoto. These days I'm finding I prefer slightly wider than the traditional 50mm gave me on film, so 18-49mm is where my modern 'comfort zone' exists; when the aperture control finally gave out on my K-30, I switched to a FA 28-105 for the aperture ring, and I missed the lower end {18-27mm}, but not the upper end {106-135}. At one time I had planned to use a Takumar 50mm as my 'walk-around' lens if I had 'won' a K-1 here, but now I'm fairly certain I would have used the FA 28-105 instead.
11-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
johnha's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancashire, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 674
I've recently bought a K-1 and haven't decided what to do with my K-5 and DA lenses (DA17-70/4 & DA10-17FE) yet - the camera & grip aren't worth selling, the lenses unlikely to be used on the K-1. I have an FA28-105 I need to try out for a walk-round zoom (equivalent to the DA17-70) and I have a K 17mm FE (all the FE I'll need). My question is whether it's handy to have them available in case I can find a use for them, the K-5 might be useful as a spare body for long lenses. All my other lenses are legacy FF film ones with aperture rings (I still shoot film).

If the OP's question is whether to buy an APS-C body (having sold one) to use the DA lenses, I'd suggest not. If you're not going to use the lenses on the K-1, I'd sell them on and look to buying something which will enhance the K-1 (keeps all your kit FF compatible and gives a bigger pool to draw from for the K-1).
11-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,572
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not sure what you mean. 33mm gives me the same view on APS-C that 50mm would give me on FF, so 18-49mm is from wide angle to slightly telephoto. These days I'm finding I prefer slightly wider than the traditional 50mm gave me on film, so 18-49mm is where my modern 'comfort zone' exists; when the aperture control finally gave out on my K-30, I switched to a FA 28-105 for the aperture ring, and I missed the lower end {18-27mm}, but not the upper end {106-135}. At one time I had planned to use a Takumar 50mm as my 'walk-around' lens if I had 'won' a K-1 here, but now I'm fairly certain I would have used the FA 28-105 instead.
Ok. I misunderstood thinking if you used a like 28-105mm on an APS-c body, your focal range would be 42-160 and that would require a crop down 50% to equal an FF image. Got it. That's why I'm not abandoning APS-c because of the smaller equipment solutions that format brings to the table.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-135mm, apc, aps-c, body, camera, da, da*, dslr, f/2.8, fa, files, ii, iq, jpgs, k-1, k-3, k-50, k-5iis, kp, lens, lenses, pentax, photography, post, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: PENTAX-D FA 24-70mm f/2.8 (SOLD) 15-30mm(sold) 70-200mm (sold) pastorbbc Sold Items 10 07-20-2017 09:51 AM
For Sale - Sold: For Sale: 60-250 f/4 DA* (SOLD), 16-85 DA WR (SOLD), 100 FA Macro WR (SOLD) Imagination4 Sold Items 8 12-25-2016 09:54 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax SMC DA Primes - 15mm (Sold), 21mm (Sold), 40mm (Sold), 70mm (Sold) geetar_joe Sold Items 5 06-02-2016 09:52 AM
For Sale - Sold: K5(sold), FA 43mm MIJ (sold), DA* 50-135mm (sold), FA 50mm 1.4, Sigma 17-70 macro v1 langkata Sold Items 21 09-30-2015 01:21 PM
For Sale - Sold: 77 mm f1.8, Metz 58 AF-2 SOLD, 3m off camera flash cord SOLD, Sigma 10-20mm SOLD beest Sold Items 6 01-25-2013 06:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top