Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I believe pixel dimensions in square crop mode are 4500x4500. Horizontal field of view is similar to what a 23mm lens would provide. I do not own a K-1 so I can't report much first-hand knowledge. I do have a DA 15 and like it very much.

09-26-2018, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I bought several FA lenses: IRIX 15mm; the 50 f/1.8; 35mm f/2, Tamron 28-70mm f 2.8 & the Pentax 28-105mm. I also kept my SIGMA 70-300mm full frame as it was too large in APS-C format but a good economical telephoto to keep. I kept the DA lenses in case I didn't like the K-1 ii, I could always revert back. I like the K-1ii it's great. It's just large so for trips I take one of my Leicas even though the 36.5 mp sensor on the Pentax is a beast of detail.

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 10:40 AM ----------

Yes bought several FA lenses (see response above).

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 10:43 AM ----------

I think the 16mp sensor in the K-50 or K-5iis renders better than the K-3 24.3. Since I have the K-1 ii for large/crop phots, I thought it would be a great back up.
The KP is the ideal smaller APS-C companion to the K-1, excellent IQ, great low-light/higher ISO performance and similar control layout. The DA 18-135mm as a compact zoom lens is very well suited. Otherwise, although I love my KP, and use it most often, I still think very highly of my K-5IIs. It also has no AA filter and I get very good IQ and finely detailed images from it.
09-27-2018, 01:15 AM   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery
If you like the combo k-50 with 18-135 then just buy a K-50. Use it next to the K-1ii when you go on outings that you don't want to take more then your K-50 combo.

For the rest sell all da and slip into dfa.
09-27-2018, 02:38 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Hm! I use my K-3ii as my back-up for my K-1ii.

You appear to have ruled that out.
Didn't rule out K-3ii--just think the larger pixels on the K-5ii or K-50 gives more absorption on a smaller APS-C sensor

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The KP is the ideal smaller APS-C companion to the K-1, excellent IQ, great low-light/higher ISO performance and similar control layout. The DA 18-135mm as a compact zoom lens is very well suited. Otherwise, although I love my KP, and use it most often, I still think very highly of my K-5IIs. It also has no AA filter and I get very good IQ and finely detailed images from it.
I think a used K-5iis with low shutter count (under 10,000) could be the winner.

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 02:40 AM ----------

Anyone concerned about the moire' issue on K-5iis in 2018?

09-28-2018, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I Have not encountered moire issues with my K-5IIs, nor my K-2S or my KP. The latter two have a switchable filter in case of a problem, but I have yet to use this feature, although it is very nice to have in case it is needed. Certainly in certain circumstances moire can occur. Having a filter does not eliminate the problem, but just slightly blurring it to make it less visible, which also compromises image detail. Dealing with any such issue with editing software instead also makes good sense, since one can "touch up" just the affected area.

The K-5IIs is certainly one fine camera, very well built with a great design.
11-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
40mm f2.8 XC vs. 40mm f2.8 HD LTD.

I note that there are two 40mm Pentax pancake lenses, the XC version and the LTD version. Can someone please tell me the difference between these two as the price points are about $150.00 different for these'

Thanks guys...I want to buy one for the new KP I bought on special
11-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I note that there are two 40mm Pentax pancake lenses, the XC version and the LTD version. Can someone please tell me the difference between these two as the price points are about $150.00 different for these'

Thanks guys...I want to buy one for the new KP I bought on special
Hey, Merv-O -- I just had exactly the same question, re: the differences between the two 40mm Pentax Pancakes - the pricier LTD version and the less expensive XC version, and as far as I have been able to figure out, it boils down to a few things:

* the LTD version comes equipped with an extra 'Quick-Shift' focus ring - which allows you to fine-tune any AF (autofocus) by simply turning the QS focus ring which briefly converts the lens to manual focusing but still keeps it in AF mode. It's a useful feature for fine-tuning focusing, especially at wide-open apertures.

* the QC version being mostly plastic is actually lighter than the LTD version (which is already tiny and light)

* optically speaking the two lenses appear to be ALMOST identical - with the possible exception of the fact that the QC has rounded aperture-blade-tips, which theoretically can result in a slightly more visually appealing bokeh effect. Having said that, quite a few QC users have raved about the optical quality of their less-espensive 40mm siblings.

My personal take is that for all intents and purposes, apart from the foregoing, both lenses will give you, literally, identical results. Because of that, I was on the verge of purchase the less expensive (QC) version, to save myself a few bucks - when I stumbled across an LTD version for a truly reasonable (low) price, so I'm buying it instead.

From what I can tell though, you can't go wrong with either of them

11-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Ltd. got the full brace of updated coatings. They both have rounded aperture blades; the SMC flavor of the Ltd. had straights, which hurt starburst-ability but helped OoF rendering / smoothness. The XS doesn't have Quickshift and has a stupid 27mm filter thread. The Ltd. has a distance scale on its focus ring which the XS lacks. The XS is thinner but it's a few millimeters difference.

If you can live without Quickshift, I don't see a reason to get the Ltd. A 27mm to 49mm step-up ring allows for all sorts of nice things, like use of a hood like the Ltd. ships with. There are aftermarket hoods that are very similar to the factory item.
11-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

That should help.
11-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The 40xs is far more cute than the limited and makes a great conversation piece all on its own

"That's a lens?!"

I adore mine, quite the stunner of a lens.
11-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks For 40mm Lens Info....

Thanks for the detailed and quick responses....I'll see if I can get the Ltd. version for a fair price (slightly used) and if that fails, I'll try the 'cute' XS version. Appreciate it....
11-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I think what you've chosen is indeed the perfect troika!! Ha ha! But that is no joke!

I have the older DA 40mm Limited, but if I were buying one now I'd go for the newer HD version having the better coatings and the rounded blades for better bokeh. The former one is said to produce better star effects from night lights, but for my use the bokeh is more important, including being useful for portraiture (but not too tight at 40mm).

I think you have a very good lens selection, incorporating both your FF K-1 II and for APS-C use. I see FF use as being especially suited for wide angle to short tele, while a higher quality APS-C brings practical advantage into the mid and tele range, offering these capabilities while using smaller, more portable, and easier-handling lenses. The DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 is one good example. Although I will say it is hard to beat the DA 12-24mm lens for high-quality wide angle imaging with APS-C. That said, the FA 35mm f/2 on a FF body offers imaging beyond the capabilities available to APS-C, as does the FA 31mm f1.8 Limited. For APS-C equivalence, we'd need 24mm and 21mm lenses of around f/2 aperture with very good edge-to-edge performance even wide open, and modest in size to boot. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon!
11-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I think what you've chosen is indeed the perfect troika!! Ha ha! But that is no joke!

I have the older DA 40mm Limited, but if I were buying one now I'd go for the newer HD version having the better coatings and the rounded blades for better bokeh. The former one is said to produce better star effects from night lights, but for my use the bokeh is more important, including being useful for portraiture (but not too tight at 40mm).

I think you have a very good lens selection, incorporating both your FF K-1 II and for APS-C use. I see FF use as being especially suited for wide angle to short tele, while a higher quality APS-C brings practical advantage into the mid and tele range, offering these capabilities while using smaller, more portable, and easier-handling lenses. The DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 is one good example. Although I will say it is hard to beat the DA 12-24mm lens for high-quality wide angle imaging with APS-C. That said, the FA 35mm f/2 on a FF body offers imaging beyond the capabilities available to APS-C, as does the FA 31mm f1.8 Limited. For APS-C equivalence, we'd need 24mm and 21mm lenses of around f/2 aperture with very good edge-to-edge performance even wide open, and modest in size to boot. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon!
Mike: Thanks for the viewpoint....I do not own a 50-135mm in a DA APS-c lens, but I may in fact, look at that one....I ended up buying the 40mm XS from Adorama because they were selling it for $149 new. The $350 40mm LTD, based upon the PF comparo was rated no better optically, so I bought the less expensive one for $149--the $200 I saved can go towards the 50-135mm at a later time.
11-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I think a used K-5iis with low shutter count (under 10,000) could be the winner.

Anyone concerned about the moire' issue on K-5iis in 2018?
Are you concerned about batteries?

The K-7/5/3 cameras could share batteries and memory with a K-1.
11-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It doesn't seem like moire has been that much of an issue with the K-5 IIs. I did buy a II due to this concern and am not sure if I would bother if I were in that position today. That said, I'd rather get the camera in better condition per price point than worry about the AA filter being there or not.