Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 02:13 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would go for the K-70 or K-3. The K-3 wins out in longevity and speed (it's a flagship series body) while the K-70 wins out in terms of image quality and features. However, if you can get the latter with a warranty, then it may become the best value overall. It certainly is if you only consider new bodies.

If you loved the K-30, the K-70 is basically a K-30 on steroids, so you might really enjoy it.
You comment about the pixel shit of the K3ii, be aware the K70 also utilizes pixel shift. The K70 can be had cheap in the USA, I'm not sure about the European market. The body is only in the upper 500.00 range, which makes it a very attractive option for those on a budget here in the States.

09-28-2018, 11:56 PM   #32
Forum Member

For me, K-3II was a crazy good deal when I bought it. Even more at this price. It's outdated in the same way all Pentax cameras are "outdated" without all those fancy mirrorless features. So you probably won't feel its age if those things don't bother you.

When it comes to built-in flash versus built-in GPS, my reasoning goes as follows: I can always buy and use external flash of varying price and features, however, there is only one Pentax GPS attachment and all the money in the world will not buy you a better one than the one that's already built-in to the K-3 II. And I actually use GPS data on images ALL the time. I always like to note what neighborhood I am when I took the pictures, or map out the paths I took while taking those pics. I wish I had GPS tracking on my Q....
09-29-2018, 10:40 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Your DA 35mm f/2.8 macro LTD is a very high-performing lens, and the one in your collection that is most versatile, as it is in the "normal" FL range. Having both the K-5 and K-5IIs, I noticed better fine detail in shots taken with high-perfomning lenses when using the IIs, which I attribute to eliminating the AA filter. The K-5 series has been shown having slightly better low-light/higher ISO performance and DR than the K-3 series. Either has a better control set and build than the K-70, but the K-70 will deliver even better higher ISO performance.

You don't have to pull out the K-70's screen if you'd rather have it flush. But it is rather handy for reversing during non-use so it is not exposed. Whichever model you get, be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for both the default "Bright" (best for most shooting) and the "Natural" categories. This will bring better detail to your images, especially if shooting JPEGs straight out of the camera.
10-01-2018, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manufocus Quote
Hey folks,

I'm currently in the market for a new pentax body and was wondering which represents the best value at the moment (used or new). The bodys I looked for are, I don't think I missed any obvious choices:

K30 200 - Risking aperture failure again (Owned one and it was brilliant).
K50 250 - Same risk as K30 and I see no advantage over K30.
K70 650 - Seems too expensive, swivel screen is meh.
K3 520 - Seems best value to me.
K3II 660 - Would miss the flash probably, price difference is nealry the astro-tracer. pixel-shift seems awesome but not worth the price from it's limited applications.
KP 1000 - Way overpriced I think and don't care for the body.
K5II(s) 370 - Seems like a step back from the K30.

Cheers!
K5IIs is definitely not a step back from the K30. It is actually the best value for money in your list...

10-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5IIS is an unusual one, no AA filter so it's a macro beast. I waited to upgrade from K5D to K3II because I do use both flash and GPS in the field.
It's all about you, though. If you'd rather have the pop-up flash, the K3 or K5IIs are solid options.