Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Best value-for-money APSC body

Hey folks,

I'm currently in the market for a new pentax body and was wondering which represents the best value at the moment (used or new). The bodys I looked for are, I don't think I missed any obvious choices:

K30 200€ - Risking aperture failure again (Owned one and it was brilliant).
K50 250€ - Same risk as K30 and I see no advantage over K30.
K70 650€ - Seems too expensive, swivel screen is meh.
K3 520€ - Seems best value to me.
K3II 660€ - Would miss the flash probably, price difference is nealry the astro-tracer. pixel-shift seems awesome but not worth the price from it's limited applications.
KP 1000€ - Way overpriced I think and don't care for the body.
K5II(s) 370€ - Seems like a step back from the K30.

Cheers!

09-26-2018, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manufocus Quote
Hey folks,

I'm currently in the market for a new pentax body and was wondering which represents the best value at the moment (used or new). The bodys I looked for are, I don't think I missed any obvious choices:

K30 200€ - Risking aperture failure again (Owned one and it was brilliant).
K50 250€ - Same risk as K30 and I see no advantage over K30.
K70 650€ - Seems too expensive, swivel screen is meh.
K3 520€ - Seems best value to me.
K3II 660€ - Would miss the flash probably, price difference is nealry the astro-tracer. pixel-shift seems awesome but not worth the price from it's limited applications.
KP 1000€ - Way overpriced I think and don't care for the body.
K5II(s) 370€ - Seems like a step back from the K30.

Cheers!
I would go for the K-70 or K-3. The K-3 wins out in longevity and speed (it's a flagship series body) while the K-70 wins out in terms of image quality and features. However, if you can get the latter with a warranty, then it may become the best value overall. It certainly is if you only consider new bodies.

If you loved the K-30, the K-70 is basically a K-30 on steroids, so you might really enjoy it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2018, 11:19 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-S1 and K-S2 are both interesting and might be a nice option. The 20mp sensor is only in those two cameras never to be seen before or since in Pentax but it was a nice package. The K-S1 is weird looking and put some people off due to that.

Of your choices - the K-3 is what I still shoot and I highly recommend it.
09-26-2018, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-5 II and IIs are nice for low light, only bettered on that list by the K-70 and KP. K-5 II has a better battery than those two cameras. It's not perfect and it's not compatible with some of the latest lenses from Pentax but I would consider it strongly if the KP isn't your cup of tea. And the cost basis is crazy; no way would I consider a KP to be three times the camera that a K-5 II is.

09-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I contemplated long and hard to upgrade my K-5ii (s) to K-3iis or some more recent body. But K-70 or K-p does not have the same battery as the K-1 or the K-1m2. So I am kind of turned off by K-70, K-p. K-3ii is the only way I can go right now unless Ricoh has its K-3 replacement coming in Photokina. My idea is to stay with the same set of battery packs that way I am not lugging around another battery type and or a charger type. It remains in the eco system. The K-5ii gives me a very satisfying ISO performance for it being an APS-C sensor.
Since you opted for K-1ii already I would say K-3 or k3m2 is your best bet.

Sorry for some reason I was thinking you already owned a K-1ii and needed a backup.
09-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BOTH my two K30's and my K3ii are rock solid performers 😁

The K3ii works great with a hotshot flash option. And the new HD Pentax-FA* SMD AW on this is magical.
09-26-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K5ii(s) was the Pentax flagship model when the K30 was current, so it can hardly be seen as a step back. After a 2.5 ACB faillures, I'm a great believer in only buying flagship models (k5ii(s), K3, K3ii). After that it comes down to details and how you're going to use your camera. If you are a pro, then the dual card slots of the K3(ii) are essential. If you are doing a lot of work with largish prints, then the larger sensor of the K3 may be better. On the other hand, if you are not a pro and work primarily on internet display, then the K5ii(s) is the better choice cost wise with the warning that the handful of electronically controlled Pentax lenses won't work with it. Between the K5ii and the K5iis, the iis will deliver better resolution with the downside of occasional moire artifacts.

09-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am also looking for a newish body to supplement my K-x. The K30/50/70 doesn't hold much appeal. The low light ability of the KP would be awesome, but it is serious money. Might as well get a used K1 for just a little more. The k% and K5 II are quite affordable but doesn't represent a very big step up from the K-x.

That leaves the K3 and K3 II. The extra features of the latter are somewhat tempting. I have never felt the need for latitude and longitude in my EXIF data, but I might take up astrophotography. The problem is that light pollution makes it impossible for a city slicker. Pixel shift looks great but I am not so sure if it is worth the extra money.

When pressed for an answer, I would pick the K3. On a value for money basis it occupies the sweet spot.
09-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If you can swing for the K-3, absolutely go for it!

If it's too expensive, I second the K-S1 and K-S2 - same image quality, K-S2 body has better features while K-S1 is amazingly compact. The 20MP sensor in those cameras is lovely in my humble opinion. But the K-3 might be what you are looking for, and it should also last longer being the more pro body of the APS-C line.
09-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

To me the obvious best value choice on your list is the K5IIs. I mean you clearly get the most camera and performance for the money. And it was of course a good step up from the K30.
09-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you like the K 3 because of the installed flash

you can add this to gain the GPS and other features

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

of course the flash won't work if it is installed
09-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

K-3 or K-3II...K-70 if you really need its features, but otherwise not.

Steve
09-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 for K-70

I own the K-S2, and although I am happy with my photographic results, the K-70 offers way better features.

Added: Pixel-shift, 4 more MP, 14-bit RAW, and better grip and buttons.

I'm pretty jealous of the K-70. It came out shortly after I bought the K-S2!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-26-2018 at 03:46 PM.
09-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I own the K-3 II and am very happy with the value it provides. I really like the gps and I own an external flash. I have only used the flash once and I probably could have gotten away without having one.
09-26-2018, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, you can't beat the quality of the flagship bodies, k3 or k3II