Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually, I think NAFTA eliminated a lot of duties (as well as lots of jobs - but that's another story). I live about 40 miles from Canada and have bought a lot of stuff from there. So far, I've not paid duties on anything, which includes camera equipment.

10-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Actually, I think NAFTA eliminated a lot of duties (as well as lots of jobs - but that's another story). I live about 40 miles from Canada and have bought a lot of stuff from there. So far, I've not paid duties on anything, which includes camera equipment.
NAFTA only applies to things manufactured in North America. Most camera equipment is not made here, so NAFTA doesn't apply. Hence needing to look it up in the customs tariff or whatever.
10-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

photography equipment should not have duties but i know i have been charged it before when ordering from B&H
10-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
I recently imported a K20D body. I used UPS 2 Day air shipping, no brokerage fees but the initial shipping fee was $40 which I felt was worth the cost as it came very quickly and was recommended by the vendor in the US. UPS paid the GST on my behalf and have invoiced me for that amount (approx $36.00 - I don't have the invoice in front of me), but there were NO DUTIES applicable and this is shown right on the UPS import form as Duty $0.00, GST $36.00. The declared value of the imported item was exactly the purchase price (approx $700).
-----------------------------SNIPPED----------------.

Just for everyone's information, if you ship UPS Express, Express Saver, Expedited or 3 day Select, 2nd day Air, basic brokerage fees are included in the shipping costs. The receiving party is responsible for payment of any taxes that are due. Standard ground shipments are subject to brokerage fees.
For info in fees for inbound to US from Canada check here:
UPS: U.S. Customs Brokerage Service Fees

Canadians importing from the US are subject to brokerage fees as noted and GST / HST as applicable.

No, I am not a UPS employee, but I ship and receive internationally just about daily.

Canada Post / USPS have a preferential system where in Canada if the package is processed, there is the $5 processing fee plus GST/HST.

Last edited by gmcotton; 10-04-2008 at 06:38 PM.