Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 02:25 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

No classic legacy Pentax cameras announced at Photokina ... (Warning: Satirical!)

I was disappointed and angry to see that, once again, Ricoh Imaging made no announcements at Photokina re new entrants into the list of classic Pentax legacy DSLRs

For years, we've had to live with the *ist D, DL, DL2... the K10D and K100D etc. When, oh when will Ricoh announce a new legacy model that's elevated to classic status? All of those older models produce nice enough images, but pro photographers need 16MP if they want to print photos on the side of a bus! Nikon and Canon both produced a far greater number of older digital cameras, so why can't Ricoh keep up? Is it really too much to ask?!

I've heard on the grapevine (sorry, I can't reveal my sources) that the K-5 might be the next legacy classic, but no official statements have been forthcoming, and we've been waiting for years. Worse than that, no new legacy glass has been announced, so we're forced to shoot with existing Takumar, K, M, A, F, discontinued FA lenses and compatible third party glass! Furthermore, it seems that production of the excellent Rikenon 50mm f/2 ceased some years ago, and Ricoh didn't tell us!

EDIT: I forgot to mention; allegedly it will be at least five to ten years before we see a legacy classic full-frame DSLR, too. Rumour has it they will call it the "K-1", and it will have a "CMOS" (?) sensor...

If Ricoh Imaging doesn't make any announcements soon, I'll be forced to use my existing cameras and lenses until they fall apart, then I'm switching to the Nikon D40X. Bye bye, legacy Pentax fools...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-01-2018 at 05:07 PM.
10-01-2018, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Were you bored and too tired to go outside and play? LOL.
10-01-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Were you bored and too tired to go outside and play? LOL.
It's 10:30pm, dark, 9.6 deg C outside and raining. What more do you expect from me?

10-01-2018, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
9.6 deg C
That's extraordinarily precise! And cold. May I recommend relocating to Devon? I was in shorts and t-shirt today!

10-01-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Nikon D40x in the trunk of my work vehicle which I use occasionally. Of course each time I use it I have to dismount and re-mount the lens or the auto focus will not work.

When will Ricoh announce a similar legacy model? No idea...
10-01-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's 10:30pm, dark, 9.6 deg C outside and raining. What more do you expect from me?

If you still have a K-3 (which I think you do) and a WR lens I expect you to freeze your buns off and get a wet flower shot right away sir! LOL. I think you know I'm just yanking on your chain.
10-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
That's extraordinarily precise! And cold. May I recommend relocating to Devon? I was in shorts and t-shirt today! :)
That's kind of you. I'm packing now. Will there be fresh sheets on my bed?

10-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you still have a K-3 (which I think you do) and a WR lens I expect you to freeze your buns off and get a wet flower shot right away sir! LOL. I think you know I'm just yanking on your chain.
But... but... it's so warm in the house, and I have this mug of tea...
10-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But... but... it's so warm in the house, and I have this mug of tea...
I love tea. But I can't drink caffeine at 10:30pm... so Herbal or Decaf at that time of night.
10-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I have a Nikon D40x in the trunk of my work vehicle which I use occasionally.
I had the D40X before I switched to Pentax some years ago Being serious for a moment (after which normal service will be resumed), it was a very good camera with lovely IQ...
10-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the D40X before I switched to Pentax some years ago Being serious for a moment (after which normal service will be resumed), it was a very good camera with lovely IQ...
I had a chance to buy the D40 model with grip and manuals and battery for $60-80 a few weeks ago. I didn't do it. I wonder if I should have... just to play with Nikon a bit. Probably should avoid that rabbit hole.
10-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had a chance to buy the D40 model with grip and manuals and battery for $60-80 a few weeks ago. I didn't do it. I wonder if I should have... just to play with Nikon a bit. Probably should avoid that rabbit hole.
I probably wouldn't do it now, personally, simply because of the need to buy more lenses - a need I can frankly do without, especially since the registration distance is too large for most of my legacy glass. But it's a good little camera. Surprisingly good. Some people preferred the original 6MP D40 to the 10MP D40X, but they were largely comparable, I think.
10-01-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Perhaps we should we pester Ricoh to make a flagship CCD camera. Imagine a K-1 with K-10D colors! The camera would be a classic legacy DSLR before it hit the shelves.
10-01-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Perhaps we should we pester Ricoh to make a flagship CCD camera. Imagine a K-1 with K-10D colors! The camera would be a classic legacy DSLR before it hit the shelves.
We can call it the K-1 super!
10-01-2018, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax does have a neo-classic MILC though: the legendary brick.