Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #16

Original Poster
Acquiring focus is not the problem. Losing focus is not so much the problem. Losing focus right when you're ready to take the pic is the problem. Focus hunting will take a second or two. By the time you are back in focus that appealing approaching shot has now turned into a less appealing side shot. And if by then the aircraft is filling the viewfinder and you need time to zoom out, that side shot turns into a not so exciting rear shot as the aircraft flies away. Slower aircraft are even more annoying. During their approach the lens could focus hunt a couple of times with the end result being the same.

You have good shots, but your subjects are not moving as fast as aircraft at an airshow - particularly jets, and especially when said jet pilots want to wow the crowds with a fast and noisy pass.

10-02-2018, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Picture Imperfect Quote
but your subjects are not moving as fast as aircraft at an airshow - particularly jets,
These are from the film days 1991 I believe Duluth Air Show . I used the pre-focus method @ Infinity (K1000 Ektar 125 back then)on a snug down tripod , picked up the aircraft at distance and followed them in through the view finder and started shooting when they started enlarging in the view finder. Same method can be used now with digital with more tools . Made sure that I was far enough away that I would not over flow the view finder. Didn't have to re-focus and it was locked in on infinity just concentrated on the action of the planes. The last shot is the bonus for using the pre-focus method. Followed them in and forgot about the Hydro wires to my left. Could not in a billion tries get the tail hooks or the wheels to line up like they did. Tried to get a ride from the Navy sent them a copy with a caption under it "I know how you guys do the Aerobatics without bumping into each other-- You run on WIRES strung out in the sky. Didn't work!

---------- Post added 10-03-18 at 12:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Picture Imperfect Quote
You have good shots, but your subjects are not moving as fast as aircraft at an airshow
They fly in relatively predictable lines- birds do not . So you have to engineer a solution to keep the focus on

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-04-2018 at 03:34 PM.
10-02-2018, 09:52 PM   #18

Original Poster
OK, jet pics, but they weren't taken with a Pentax dslr and the 55-300!

Right now myself and others have issues with the 55-300 at airshows. I have an idea of what's happening but I think I'll research it first. By a desperate fluke I found that AUTO point selection worked rather well on the K200D. I don't know if it will work the same on the K-5 though. Guess I won't find out till next year at the 2019 Miramar airshow.

I have a number of pics of the Blue Angels in close formation. Zooming in it looks like the left most jet is the lead one and the pilots of the other jets are all looking to their left to line up on the adjacent jet. Funny thing is it looks like the lead jet pilot is also looking left but I think he is actually watching his Head Up Display. I'd post a pic or two but I'm almost out of allowed bandwidth to do so. I'll have to see about what I need to do to post more pics.
10-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you've had the camera since 2011, have you ever blown out the mirror box with air? I did mine a few months ago before a shoot and was surprised how much the auto focus improved. No matter how much care we take, some dust will get inside and will affect the auto focus.

10-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #20

Original Poster
Yep, it gets blown out mmmmmm let's say occasionally. At least more times than I've gone to the dentist. Also blew out the K200D the night before. I don't think debris is the problem since the 200 worked much better on auto point selection. I suspect the K-5 will be the same but I'll have to attend an airshow to confirm that. I could shoot aircraft at the local airports but they of course are moving much slower and I'd like faster moving subjects. Faster subjects like the speed people drive out here. Hmmmm, maybe I'll just stand beside a road instead...........
10-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I've been taking pictures of air shows and wild-life since the '70's and used to have a fairly good success rate on film with manual focus and a one-touch zoom.
As the years went by both me and my manual cameras got older and I "upgraded" to an auto-focus body and treated myself to a fine fast 70-200mm f/2.8, figuring all my problems were behind me

NOPE!

Missed shots and hunting autofocus became the order of the day, which I put down to unfamiliarity with the "new" technology.

Finally, 15 years later, I figured it out ... use manual focus!

Now I can nail that dragonfly or that fast jet almost every time ... just a pity my fast zoom is a two-touch, I might even revert to my old "trombone-action" Tamron
10-05-2018, 05:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I've been taking pictures of air shows and wild-life since the '70's and used to have a fairly good success rate on film with manual focus and a one-touch zoom.
As the years went by both me and my manual cameras got older and I "upgraded" to an auto-focus body and treated myself to a fine fast 70-200mm f/2.8, figuring all my problems were behind me

NOPE!

Missed shots and hunting autofocus became the order of the day, which I put down to unfamiliarity with the "new" technology.

Finally, 15 years later, I figured it out ... use manual focus!

Now I can nail that dragonfly or that fast jet almost every time ... just a pity my fast zoom is a two-touch, I might even revert to my old "trombone-action" Tamron
Sounds like we have similar backgrounds going from one touch manual focus to AF. My challenges are aging eyesight combined with poor focusing screens and the short throw of AF lenses. For me, back button with continuous focus and DoF planning has become my "go to" technique.

10-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Sounds like we have similar backgrounds going from one touch manual focus to AF. My challenges are aging eyesight combined with poor focusing screens and the short throw of AF lenses. For me, back button with continuous focus and DoF planning has become my "go to" technique.
Back-button focussing is a technique I've not yet tried, I'll have to give that a whirl

Do you not find that the extensive use of autofocus like that flattens the battery quickly? I seem to notice the "low-battery" light comes on somewhat earlier if I've been using a lot of autofocus. It isn't an issue with my K-5 and it's high-capacity batteries, but my new K-70 can flatten a battery in a day or two (I'm waiting for a second battery in the post).

I do find my recently purchased O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier to be of considerable assistance to my ageing eyesight etc.
10-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Back-button focussing is a technique I've not yet tried, I'll have to give that a whirl

Do you not find that the extensive use of autofocus like that flattens the battery quickly? I seem to notice the "low-battery" light comes on somewhat earlier if I've been using a lot of autofocus. It isn't an issue with my K-5 and it's high-capacity batteries, but my new K-70 can flatten a battery in a day or two (I'm waiting for a second battery in the post).

I do find my recently purchased O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier to be of considerable assistance to my ageing eyesight etc.
I read about the back button technique here not long ago. Basically, set the camera to use the back button AND set focus to "continuous." That gives great control over when or how much to focus, independent of the shutter. It takes a small amount of time to get used to, especially holding focus and simultaneously pressing the shutter. In my case, I sometimes pressed the green button with my thumb. That's in the past now that I'm used to it.

I have not noticed shorter battery life, though I've usually carried a spare battery with any camera I've owned.
10-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I've enjoyed reading through this thread, have picked up on some tips and tricks as well. Now I can't wait until the next Air Show here in Vegas (Aviation Nation at Nellie AFB) this year I will be sporting my K3 with DFA 150-450, gonna be a blast using this combo....