Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
*ist DL now or K2000 later?

Just right after the K2000 being officially announced I came across the chance to buy a used *ist DL for pretty cheap. Body only, shutter count approx. 10000, no software, no manual, no box for $200. My friend will wait for me to decide this week or two then he will put it on ebay.

My plan for the *ist DL is to use it as a take-it-anywhere camera and the DA 40mm is in my list as well. It will also be used as the family camera (so no one mess with my precious k200d ). The biggest con about the *ist DL is no SR but its not a big problem as I won't put anything longer than 135mm on it.

The K2000 is a very interesting camera. The 1650 shots battery life and SR is the biggest pull for me. But certainly it wouldn't go as cheap as $200 anytime soon. I don't need the kit lens or any other accessories.

For now I am more inclined to get the *ist DL because its much cheaper. I can use it as a beater camera w/o crying over the smallest scratch and dents; but I don't want to have buyer remorse either.

What should I do?? decision decision.....

09-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #2

I would take DL, and for price difference, you can get A LOT of used lenses
09-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I used to have istDL before I upgraded to K10D. It is great little camera which takes AA batteries so you can stop at any gas station and pickup spare ones in case you run out. The 6mp was enough for me even when I did some portraits that were printed 8x12 (or something like that). For $200 I wouldn't even think about it. Just make sure the mirror and sensor are clean.

I guess with a pancace lens, that would be a very small and sweet setup.
09-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have had the *istDL2 now for 30000+ activations - 6-8 weddings and heaps of images and cds of images sold and a couple of dozen images sold to a local newspaper - I am not a pro - just an amateur in a lucky spot with little competition. I am not saying this to brag - just to indicate that the DL level is no slouch. Go for the DL. You cancheck my gallery in my sig for corroboration.

BTW - the cam plus 40mm is not really very small - the handgrip and onboard flash make it too thick for that.

09-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
BTW - the cam plus 40mm is not really very small - the handgrip and onboard flash make it too thick for that.
I meant for DSLR package. It took me a while to get used to K10D weight. Actually, I did not get used to the extra weight until I sold the istDL and stopped comparing
09-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Kei

Original Poster
Update

Thanks everyone for the advice. Here's a quick update...

Another friend wanted to get a starter dSLR for cheap so I let him bought the aforementioned $200 *ist DL instead. Feeling good about myself to have another Pentaxian even tho I let go a good bargain.

The next day I browse around Henry's online and saw a used DL for $200 (what a coincident!) condition 8+. Thinking I have this perks that give 15% off for used equipment I put down the order right away, after shipping and taxes total comes to $204.

Got the camera in the mail today and the package comes w/ everything (box, manual, strap, cable, software...etc). The best part is THE SHUTTER COUNT IS <550!!! I got a practically brand new ist DL for $204....WOOHOO!!! My P&S Fuji s700 cost me more than that!

The DL I got is silver, which I like it has this vintage look. Small and light and the ergonomics is as good as the K200d. I fell in love as soon as I have the DL in my hands. Tested a few shots with the A50 f2 everything seems fine.

X'mas came early for me

Last edited by Kei; 09-26-2008 at 07:21 PM.
09-27-2008, 06:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Congratulations - I have just been given financial approval for a camera upgrade and now I don't feel in any rush, 'cos my DL2 is so good in so many ways.