Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom2 Quote
Okay, I really hate to come here with a dumb post for my first one, but that's probably what I'm doing. If this has been covered in depth -- and it probably has -- just point me in that direction, and accept my apology on the front end.

Here's my situation. I have a number of Pentax lenses for 35mm film cameras. I have a long background shooting film, starting with a new Asahi Pentax 35mm, way, way back. My Nikon D200 is my only DSLR, and I haven't really wrung it out. In other words, I know how to shoot good photos (been doing that for 40 years), but I don't really know digital.

I'm looking at all this Pentax equipment that's just sitting here, not being used because it's film, and thinking that I should get a digital body, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Lenses. I have several zooms for the SF-1N and PZ1 bodies. Plus, the 28mm shift, 200mm ED Macro, 300mm f/4.5, and 400mm f2/8 (with the 1.4X and 2X extenders).

I'd like to get a body that would give me as much utility (autofocus, anti-shake, etc.) as possible.

Fire away, but remember that I'm an ol. . er, experienced photographer.

The use would be just fun photography. I'm not shooting for magazines anymore.
I am coming in late to this discussion, but I think you would prefer the k10d or k20d. The controls are right out there on the outside of the body where we ol ... er experienced ... photographers can find them.

09-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Pentax software produces JPEGs from RAW files and the latter never get changed. It also supports batch processing, so it doesn't seem as bad, does it?
Not even *close* to the same thing. First, the kind of software I'm talking abut doesn't force you to convert to JPEG at all - you continue to work with your original RAW files. You go in, do some processing, hit OK, and your changes are automatically saved. If you change your mind, go back in, and find all your settings right where you left them so you can tweak them further, or start over. And you can pick and choose which settings to apply in batches - for example, apply the same WB to a bunch of files, while leaving all the rest of their settings unchanged, and still leaving open to option of going back to any of those files to tweak WB or other settings further.

The Pentax software basically forces you to convert to JPEG and then you're done. No going back except to start over and convert again. No applying settings in batches except to uses the *exact* same settings for all, and then again, you're done - no going back except to start over.

The difference in use model between this and what I'm talking about is, as I've said before, at least as significant as the difference between an operating system with only a command-line user interface versus one with a graphical one with mice and windows and so forth.

QuoteQuote:
P.S.: I hope we are not unduly hijacking the OP's thread.
Oh, yeah :-). Well, back to what I said about most things being subjective. You really can't go wrong with any of these cameras.
09-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
ISO change in K10D is exactly the same as in K20D. No need to go into menu.
...with firmware update 1.30, that is.

Now we talk precise.
09-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #34

IŽm in the same situation which one? Now i have a Canon xti with a sigma 17-70 lens, sunpak flash, canon 430ex and battery grip. Which all will be on sale if i make a change to pentax. My first slr is a pentax mz-50 with a 28-105 lens and i have a original pentax flash to go with it. i was looking at the K20D but buying good da lenes to go with it just to much money i was wondering how the k200d would be like.
I live in argentina and my sister is coming from california to visit so she will be buy all the goodies for me. What really likes me is the built in shack reduction sistem that canon lacks. A 70 200 f4 IS canon lens is U$S1100 and the non IS costs U$S600. U$S500 more for IS thats ridiculas!
So i donŽt know convince me K200D which iŽll have money for good pentax lenes or the K20D and just one good lens??

09-30-2008, 06:43 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hotrod Quote
So i donŽt know convince me K200D which iŽll have money for good pentax lenes or the K20D and just one good lens??
If you were accustomed to having separate control wheels for aperture and shutter speed, then you might find the K200D a step backward. But as you know from using the XTi, one wheel works just fine, and you may actually find the K200D control system simpler than the XTi (or not - personal preference comes into play). And while the K20D viewfinder is better than that of the K200D, even the K200D is still better than the XTi. Throw in SR, and the K200D is almost definitely going to seem like an upgrade. So saving money for more/better lenses sounds fine to me. Others will probably have a different opinion. Really, you can't go wrong either way.
10-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
First, the kind of software I'm talking abut doesn't force you to convert to JPEG at all - you continue to work with your original RAW files.
What software product(s) are you talking about specifically?

The Pentax software basically forces you to convert to JPEG and then you're done. No going back except to start over and convert again.
You can save your settings, reload them and start modifying again. However, I agree this should be automated for each individual picture (instead of requiring a manual save of the settings).

No applying settings in batches except to uses the *exact* same settings for all
Unless one uses the same settings for all, batch processing doesn't seem to make sense. For individual settings, you just do them one by one, right?
I could imagine that one would like to set individual parameters for a set of images respectively and then do a batch conversion of all. But then you seem to suggest that this latter batch conversion isn't necessary since you do not want to go to JPEGs anyhow. I'm also assuming you would rather have real time processing, so you'd be done after choosing the right settings?

Sorry, just trying to understand your workflow.

BTW, regarding the strange "K10D" JPEG->RAW processing being inferior to the "K100D" JPEG->RAW processing: I've come across this interesting interview of K10D engineers: OK1000 Pentax Blog: K10D Interview with development engineers of Pentax Japan
It appears that they had to go rather different ways because of the new K10D sensor. I reckon they couldn't just reuse the image processing of the K100D firmware given the different sensor characteristics. The blog pointed to above also features user voices which call the K10D JPEGS "soft".

At Unices.org Blog Archive Pentax K10d, how to make jpg files ?
you can compare crops of JPEG vs various RAW engines. Pixel peep at the left rear light within the 100% crops. You'll notice almost no detail in the JPEG and the best detail in the Raw Therapee version. I'd be the first to concede that the above comparison probably wasn't done with scientific rigour (the JPEG and the PhotoLaboratory versions are oversharpened, notice the halo at the edge of the car) but the results are consistent with what I've read elsewhere.
10-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
Best way to sell the Pentax lenses?

Hmmm. Sitting here in the hotel room in NYC, on a 35th anniversary trip (several Broadway shows under our belt), and about to fly out tomorrow . . .

So, I go to B&H today (can't help it), and buy a Nikon F5 body and an older lens. Sigh.

Yes, film. I'm told they still make the stuff.

As for having two systems . . . I wish. Way too many cameras and lenses -- several systems. Gotta clear out some space.

So, I come back here to Pentax Forums, poke around, and see that the wonderful lenses I have just might fetch a good price. At least, better than the fellow at B&H offered. <grin>

The 28 shift, the 200 f/4 Macro, the 300mm f/4.5 AF, and the 400mm f/2.8.

My problem is that I can't find a Pentax body I can live with. I think I'm going to end up with a full-frame Nikon digital to go with the lenses I have there.

So, what's the best way to sell the Pentax lenses? (I'm assuming there is no market for the bodies, other than the LX.)

Thanks.

Tom

10-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Sell them here! As long as you put reasonable prices on your items, people will buy them, even the film bodies. If they don't sell here, then you can always put them on Fleabay.

HTH,
Heather
10-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom2 Quote
My problem is that I can't find a Pentax body I can live with.
Have you looked at the K20D?
What is it you don't like about it?
10-03-2008, 04:33 PM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have not had my hands on a K20D, but I've about decided that all DX size cameras are too dang small for me. I love the larger viewfinder of a film or full-frame camera. I don't use the liveview or whatever they call the picture screen on the back of the camera when I'm shooting.

Life is way too short for compromises.

Last edited by Tom2; 10-03-2008 at 08:21 PM.
10-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Sell them here! As long as you put reasonable prices on your items, people will buy them, even the film bodies. If they don't sell here, then you can always put them on Fleabay.

HTH,
Heather
I'll pull together a list when I get home, and post them here.
10-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Are you sure this is possible with a K100D? Which settings are required for this? I'm not aware of this functionality, but would of course love to use it.

Sorry I was not more clear. I was commenting about the ISO OK/wheel with the K20D, not the K100D, but I see it was ambiguous.
10-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #43
Veteran Member

What software product(s) are you talking about specifically?
Ones I know of include any Adobe products based on ACR (Photoshop CS, Elements, Lightoom), also Aperture, ACDSee Pro, Lightzone. I think Bibble, too.

QuoteQuote:
You can save your settings, reload them and start modifying again. However, I agree this should be automated for each individual picture (instead of requiring a manual save of the settings).
Exactly. Also, this is not integrated with the browser - saved settings are not reflected in the display of the RAW files, as far as I know. And there is no facility for doing this in batches.

QuoteQuote:
Unless one uses the same settings for all, batch processing doesn't seem to make sense.
You might want the same WB for a whole bunch of images. With the kind of software I'm talking about, you can do that in one step, while leaving the exposure and other settings unchanged. Or go in and in one operation, add 0.5EV exposure compensation to a bunch of images while leaving all other settings alone. And then you can go back to any of those images and tweak the WB or exposure further. And all this without ever converting anything or needing to explicitly save or load anything.

The difference in workflow is night and day!

Interesting find regarding K10D JPEG processing...
10-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
Since my first post kicking off this thread, I've spent dozens of hours online, reading about the Pentax DSLRs, various other brands (the Canon 5D MkII has my attention), and getting even more confused.

I feel like Rip Van Winkle.

For 30 years I shot photos for books, magazines, etc., mostly illustrating articles I wrote. Started with a Rolliflex TLR, went to the Spotmatic, and kept going. I know film.

While I have a Nikon D200, I use it almost like a P&S camera.

I have been mostly out of photography for 8-10 years. (Got into broadcasting.) Trying to catch up on the digital switch makes my head hurt.

Basic question: To get very good images for reproduction in magazines and books, will the 14.6 megapixel K20d be enough? I'm used to Kodachrome and Fujichrome.

As I contemplate launching back into some publication work (only the stuff that I think would be fun), I'm looking at the options.

I'll buy new gear, if necessary, but I know the Pentax lenses I have are very good. Just did an inventory today. Sheesh. It's amazing what you accumulate over the years.

In addition to the 67 system and the 645 system, the 35mm lenses I have include:
F 24-50mm f/4
F 70-210mm f/4-5.6 (two)
F 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5
F 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5
A* 200mm Macro f/4
F* 300mm f/4.5 ED IF
A*400mm f/2.8 ED IF
Pentax 28mm f/2.5 SHIFT
Rear Converter A 2X-L
Rear Converter A 1.4X-L

It seems that if I can get top quality (think "coffee table" photo book) from 14.6 megapixels, I can fill in the super-wide gap in this lineup, get the K20D, and start.

If not, I can sell this gear (plus the bodies and all the accessories), to finance part of the new system.

Second question (I think I know this one). Unlike a converter, the extra "length" you get on a lens when shooting with the smaller sensor does not come with a loss in speed, right? That is, my 300mm f/4.5 stays an f/4.5, even though it now functions as a 450mm lens (in 35mm terms) on the K20D.

So, can someone help old "Rip" out here?

Thanks.
10-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
given you have a PZ-1 I would go for an *istD, K10D or K20D as controls are most similar.

Also, and I can't tell this from the posting of what lenses you have, if you plan to do flash with wild life, I would get an *istD as a second body, only because it can do TTL flash, and I find the P-TTL does make animals (especially birds) move slightly when the preflash fires.

Also the *istD meters more accurately than the K10D (and I assume K20D as it has the same focusing screen) for manual apature lenses. "A" lenses are OK on either.

agreed ... but just jump to the K20D