Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K2000 / K-m - right way Pentax

The K-m marks the 1st good looking Pentax DSLR for me. I never care for the mono-top LCD much. In the film days, it is the only way to see your information and is required. But today with massive 2.5 - 3" LCD, I can get more visual information without straining my eyes.

I believe Konica Minolta 5D was the 1st DSLR ditching the top LCD, followed by Rebel XTi, then Nikon finally got into the act with their D40/D40x/D60 lines. I'm glad Pentax is finally on board. If you want to sell well in this entry-level market, ditching the old look is required.

Serious Professional camera will probably always retained their top mono-lcd:
the Canon 5DII, Canon 50D, Nikon D700/D300/D90, Pentax K20 etc...

But entry-level should shred this bulk for smaller design, like the:

Canon XSi/XS, Nikon D40/D40x/D60, Olympus 420/520, Sony A200, and now Pentax K-m.

I hope the USD price is reasonable, I buy one to see how the pentax world feel like.

Here is a nice place for exploring Pentax K-m: Pentax K2000 / K-m info page

09-23-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I can't get used to is the assymetry of DSLRs. I grew up in the not-so-distant times when we had a similar amount of camera to the left of the lens mount as we did to the right. Modern cameras look like the left side got lopped off. I wish they'd quit that.

And I can already foresee people writing the camera model as "I have a question about my Pentax KM....." and a never-ending stream of people pointing out to them that the Pentax KM was a film camera and the K-m is a digital camera, followed by thread drift regarding the merits of film vs. digital, the fact that everybody knows what he meant, boy-I-miss-my-KM, etc etc.

WHY did they have to give it a name that so closely parallels something they have already used?
09-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Banned

because pentax is just weird like that?

oh, and to annoy you mike.
09-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Because the people who will by the K-m will simply don't care.

This is an entry level DSLR made for people who never used one. K-m sounds good so why not using it, there is no possible confusion in consumers mind.

Guillaume

09-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #5

What does the K200d have over the K2000?
09-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by gubak Quote
I believe Konica Minolta 5D was the 1st DSLR ditching the top LCD, followed by Rebel XTi, then Nikon finally got into the act with their D40/D40x/D60 lines. I'm glad Pentax is finally on board. If you want to sell well in this entry-level market, ditching the old look is required.
I suppose this is true, people who are upgrading from small point-and-shoot cameras are used to holding them out in front of their faces.
It would definitely be bad if more higher-grade models (like the Sony a700) shed the top LCD - I find it really useful, usually for previewing exposure settings without having to look through the viewfinder, and for when it's mounted on a low tripod. It can allow for a more relaxed stance when taking time over a shot without "chimping" too much, and reduce the risk of eye strain. I think it's good practise to try and use the top LCD more if you have one, as the less you look through the viewfinder, the more you take in your surroundings.
09-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpackerguy Quote
What does the K200d have over the K2000?
Weather sealing, DOF preview, 11 AF points, stronger flash, and some extra buttons (RAW, AE-L, Green) - that's what I noticed from the specs. The K2000 (aka K-m) adds some things over the K200D, though, including allegedly faster low-light AF (!), better battery life, and some intriguing changes in button layout & interface that may make up the difference for the lost buttons.
09-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Weather sealing, DOF preview, 11 AF points, stronger flash, and some extra buttons (RAW, AE-L, Green) - that's what I noticed from the specs. The K2000 (aka K-m) adds some things over the K200D, though, including allegedly faster low-light AF (!), better battery life, and some intriguing changes in button layout & interface that may make up the difference for the lost buttons.
OK, thanks. I'm not having a problem with K200d's low light AF, I'm having good luck with Lithium AA's (have had them in now for 3 weeks), and I'm pretty comfortable with the button layout, so I'm sticking with my K200d, though I have toyed with the idea of selling it and picking up a gently used K10.

09-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpackerguy Quote
OK, thanks. I'm not having a problem with K200d's low light AF, I'm having good luck with Lithium AA's (have had them in now for 3 weeks), and I'm pretty comfortable with the button layout, so I'm sticking with my K200d, though I have toyed with the idea of selling it and picking up a gently used K10.
Hey Mrpackerguy ("How about dem Cowboys!!!") <g> I just wish the k200d had the illuminated LCD on top of the camera like the K10 and K20. The K2000d also adds 3200 ISO which I used to really want (maybe still do) but as long as I have my new 50mm FA 1,4 lens, I'm happy for now.

Barry
09-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #10

Yea, we sure weren't good enough Monday night. Talk about squandering redzone opportunities or it'd have been a different game. Illuminated top LCD screen = more battery drain (I know not much).
09-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Been wanting a no-frills camera as a walkaround, though the K-m seems great, I'd rather go with a gripless K200D...

@mrnopacker: funny you should mention about switching your K200D for a K10D, I've been toying with the reverse idea! I'm thinking of selling (trading) my K10D, for a K200D! (I'm looking for less size and weight... I have the k100D, and I use it more than my K10D! Hence my wanting to replace the K10D for a k200D...)
09-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

why are there 20 threads all about the same thing? people need to search bere posting...
09-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
The K2000d also adds 3200 ISO which I used to really want (maybe still do)
I'll bet you this is just a software emulation that does exactly the same thing as shooting underexposed at ISO 1600 and then pushing in PP. That's actually ISO 3200 did on the DS/DL/K100D, too - there was no hardware support. This was prett much proven by folks looking at the actual RAW output and noticing that when shooting ISO 3200, all the values were even numbers - meaning they were simply doubled from what the sensor actually read. This is the same thing you'd get by moving the exposure slider +1 EV in PP.
09-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey Mrpackerguy ("How about dem Cowboys!!!") <g> I just wish the k200d had the illuminated LCD on top of the camera like the K10 and K20. The K2000d also adds 3200 ISO which I used to really want (maybe still do) but as long as I have my new 50mm FA 1,4 lens, I'm happy for now.

Barry
You may have already tried this, if so, pardon me.

For my K100D I bought a tiny, lightweight keychain led flashlight. It's plastic and lightweight, about the size of quarter, although a little thicker, and I attached it to the camera strap. Now I've got a little multi-use light that I can use to check settings. And I can use it to look for something in my camera bag in the dark. It's turned out to be really handy, and I think it cost around $3.