Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Auto Focus for the K200D

Hello my fellow Pantexians.

I found that the camera has an option to do the Auto Focus(AF) using the OK button instead of the half press button. I found it to be really helpfull when taking multiple pictures of a static subject instead of doing the AF again and again. Specially at parties where illumination isn't that good and one has to wait for the flash to help AF.

Actually one of my friend uses it on his Nikon D200 I think. Since he was more experienced than me so I thought maybe this is the way to go.

Now the problem is my thumb starts hurting after using the OK button for AF. Is there any way to use the AE-L button for the same purpose? Or should I stick to the half press option?

Looking forward to your replies!

09-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atyab Quote
Now the problem is my thumb starts hurting after using the OK button for AF. Is there any way to use the AE-L button for the same purpose? Or should I stick to the half press option?
I don't think you can use AE-L for this. However, you can configure your OK button to *cancel* AF instead. That way most shots won't require you to hit it, and you'll need it only when taking multiple shots of the same scene. Of course, depending on your style of , that might be worse, but it works well for me.
09-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I was also going to mention the cancel AF feature.

It's even better - because it puts the camera into actual MF mode while you hold it down (at least on my K100) the AF system is working in focus confirmation mode. It's great for a situation where you know you're going to want to tweak the focus slightly, but as you it quickly becomes uncomfortable to hold OK, and the shutter button half down (I have small hands).

Last edited by cpopham; 09-23-2008 at 03:49 PM.
09-23-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use the "cancel af" feature to enable me to actually _take the picture_ in cases where the AF system can't lock and won't let me press the shutter for some reason. Is there another way around this annoyance that anyone knows of? I guess this is more necessary on non-quick-shift lenses when you don't want to switch to MF mode on the camera and are happy just to take the (supposedly) somewhat out of focus shot.

09-24-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys! I wasn't expecting many people to reply but its been cool!

I was wondering if there is some kind of a firmware update or thing that can help solve the situation.

Which technique of focusing would you suggest is the best for handelling moving objects? Becuase its like if they are moving towards you then you loose focus.

Looking forward to your replies.
09-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atyab Quote
Which technique of focusing would you suggest is the best for handelling moving objects? Becuase its like if they are moving towards you then you loose focus.
AF-C mode - continuous auto-focus.